Hondo's Bar

Akira 2011

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i sure as shit did not read the script, but would love highlights.

location shift, from Neo-Tokyo to New Manhattan.

Plucky young rebels fighting an evil corporation, called the Foundation.

Everybody gets ID chips. In the film, it's called the SubQ ID System.

Akira is now housed beneath the "memorial bunker" commemorating the initial destruction of the city. It's described as a blank expanse of concrete with two "massive blue spot lights beam[ing] into the heavens. Millions of names etched along the walls.

Kaneda and Tetsuo Travis are brothers now, and in their early thirties.

Kaneda is now a bitter, jaded blackmarket doctor, and Tetsuo is a shell-shocked, tortured junkie, alienated from the world.

In the remake, they've changed Akira -- from a victim, a mysterious force, and a childlike god figure -- into a screen villain cliche: The generic scary child with psychic powers.

He sings "unsettling" nursery rhymes, he carries around a disused stuffed animal, and casually murders people with his mind powers.

Akira's official theme. Every single time he makes an appearance, even if it's just in PTSD Tetsuo's nightmares, the script calls for 'Frere Jacques' to be played.

:suicide:

• 4 months later...
Kristen Stewart has reportedly been offered the female lead in Jaume Collet-Sera‘s adaptation of Akira.

Stewart–who co-stars with Hedlund in the upcoming adaptation of On the Road–is already trying to break free of the damsel-in-distress Bella Swan character by taking on the Snow-White-as-Action-Hero role (weird to write that) in Snow White and the Huntsman. Akira may be another opportunity for her to make sure she’s not seen as Bella for the rest of her career. Since Bella is barely a character, I don’t think that will be too much of a problem.

cant%20do%20it.gif

No one is welcoming Leo with open arms. Firstly, he producing it, not starring, it seems at least for now, and secondly, I think no one is happy with the idea of a white-washed PG-13 Akira set in Manhattan, no matter which awesome white actors are cast.

I have nothing against Kristin Stewart. It's hard to make it in the acting business, I don't judge actors by the roles they take when they're trying to make a name for themselves, just want the do with those roles, and as the quoted article said, Bella is a non-character. I could be any actress, it would still be a problem.

Seen her in anything else? It may just be the roles that she's offered, but she seems the same every time.

I have not, but again, I don't care how good the white actors that they cast are. It could be Natalie Portman or Hilary Swank or Anna Paquin or any other actress that has proven herself in great performances, it doesn't make any different. This movie could star Laurence Olivier and James Dean in their primes, if it's still a PG-13 Akira set in Manhattan with white actors, it's self-evidently going to suck.

It's not going to be the Akira we're familiar with, no. That said, it's possible (though not probable) that they could make a good movie with this set in New York, with any damn type of actor they want. When they hire people that have not displayed much in the way of emotional range in their roles, it becomes a little less possible with each addition.

I would bet money this movie will not be good. It's evident they have no intention of telling a good story. Akira doesn't just happen to be Japanese, it's a specifically rooted in Japanese culture and themes specific to the Japanese consciousness. It's like remaking Gone With the Wind but set in 1990's Beverly Hills instead of 1860's Georgia for no goddamn reason. Remaking Romeo & Juliet in 1990's California made sense because it demonstrated the universality and timelessness of the story. But Akira can no more be ripped away from Japan than Gone With The Wind can be from the Civil War and Reconstruction Era American South, or remake Casablanca in modern-day Toronto.

Edited by Reverend Jax

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Sigh.

A live-action American adaptation of the hugely influential anime Akira has proven to be a difficult project to get off the ground. Warner Bros. originally acquired the rights back in 2008 and were looking to produce the film quickly alongside Leonardo Dicaprio’s Appain Way, but less than a year later, it was shut down due to scheduling conflicts. Then, over the course of the next several years, directors like the Hughes Brothers, screenwriters like Gary Whitta, and actors like James Franco, Gary Oldman, Garrett Heldund, Helena Bonham-Carter, Zac Efron, and Keanu Reeves have been attached to the long-gestating project, but nothing has yet materialized. All the while, controversy raged about the film “westernizing the story” by setting it in a post-apocalyptic Manhattan and casting white American or British actors as Japanese characters like Tetsuo and Kaneda.

The latest setback to occur in the endless Akira adaptation saga occurred when Non-Stop and Orphan director Jaume Collet-Serra came aboard to helm the movie in early 2014, but once again things moved at a glacial pace as casting negotiations dragged and the director struggled to get the budget down to Warners’ requested $60-70 million. Unfortunately, these issues led to Warner Bros. pulling the plug on Collet-Sera and shutting down Akira‘s Vancouver production facilities yet again.

However, there is now renewed hope that Akira will actually get made, and Warners is looking to the highly successful Netflix series Daredevil for a creative force to take on the challenge.

According to THR, new Daredevil showrunner Marco J. Ramirez is set to write yet another draft of the Akira screenplay for Warner Brothers. Ramirez – who also worked on Sons of Anarchy and DaVinci’s Demons – is taking over showrunning duties on the Marvel Netflix series from previous head honcho Steven S. DeKnight, who is moving on to join the Transformers writing room.

itswrong100.gif

• 3 years later...