Hondo's Bar

Movie remakes and reboots

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a Carrie 2 movie that was awful, but because I've loved Carrie since childhood, I will defend it. I am seriously disappointed to hear their gonna do the found footage crap. I thought we were over that crap after Blair Witch? I know they didn't get the hint wih Paranormal Activities, BUT we're talking about CARRIE here. Not just some crappy little movie to throw against the wall to see if it sticks. I'm so tired of ppl fuckin up classics.

In other Remake news...lol

I'm interested in this one....

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1386703/

Growing up in the 80's with a macho-man father, I love all these types of movies. Not too sure about Colin Farrel. But I love Kate Beckinsale.

It won't be found footage, they're just saying that they're approaching it like the book which would mean we'd be getting retrospectives as the story is developing. Nobody involved with the movie in an official capacity has said anything about found footage.

Also: While I love Schwarzennegar's Total Recall and pretty much everything Paul Verhoeven does, this looks a lot closer to the story by Phillip K. Dick and I appreciate that.

So remember that Oldboy remake? It's still going forward, but not with Will Smith or Keanu Reeves or any of those.

The current roster is Spike Lee in the director's chair, Josh Brolin as the lead, Sharlto Copely (of District 9 and The A-Team) as the villain, and Elizabeth Olsen as you-know-who. Untouchable original or not, I can't turn down that roster. (I guess it's racist that I find it surprising that all the main cast aren't black given that Spike Lee is directing.)

Edited by Iambaytor

• 1 month later...

220px-Dredd-movie-poster.jpg

Dredd is an upcoming British science fiction film directed by Pete Travis. It was announced in December 2008 that the production company DNA Films was to make

a comic book adaptation [4][5] of 2000 AD character JudgeDredd [6] and would be unrelated to the 1995 film version. In that respect, it can be considered a reboot of the character. The film is to be directed by Pete Travis with a script by Alex Garland. The cast consists of Karl Urban as Judge Dredd and Olivia Thirlby as JudgeAnderson.

Dredd is due to be released on 21 September 2012 [7] in 3-D. [8][3]

The story of Dredd takes place on a fictional Earth created as a result of the Atomic Wars. Survivors of this period are living in Mega-Cities, which protects its citizens from the Cursed Earth, a radioactive desert environment populated by mutants. The main story takes place in Mega-City One, where the police who are now called judges have the power to use police brutality to some extent to fight extreme murders. One man, Judge Dredd (Karl Urban), a senior law enforcement officer, teams up with a cadet called Judge Anderson (Olivia Thirlby) to track down a terrorist organization lead by Ma-Ma (Lena Headey), who is responsibleforsellinga reality-altering drug called Slo-Mo.

Karl Urban as Judge Dredd

Olivia Thirlby as Judge Anderson

Lena Headey as Madeline Madrigal (AKA "Ma-Ma")

Jason Cope Domhnall Gleeson as Travis Synders [9]

Langley Kirkwood as Judge

Lex Francis Chouler as Judge Guthrie

MV5BMTU2Njg3MDgyN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjgyNTA4Mg@@._V1_SX80.jpg

• 2 months later...

kinda surprised we never had a horror remakes thread, that i can think of. anyway:

Carrie White in her prom dress, streaked with blood: It’s one of those indelible cinematic images that are harder to scrub from your mind than, well, blood from a prom dress. Boys Don’t Cry helmer Kimberly Peirce had a big, bucket-sized shadow to step out of when she decided to direct a modernized, more character-focused adaptation of Stephen King’s debut novel, which had already been mounted on the big screen by Brian De Palma in 1976. Chloë Grace Moretz steps into the role of the vengeful teen, while Julianne Moore will play her abusive, religious fundamentalist mother. Click through for EW’s exclusive, full-size image of a not-so-sanguine Carrie, plus a never-before-seen first look at Moore as Margaret White.

CHJfj.jpg

(from this)

gp5t3.jpg

eVCRf.jpg

Brian De Palma has made some great movies. Carrie was not one of them. It's an under-produced melodramatic mess with all the subtlety of a Disney channel original movie, I swear every line in it was screamed at the top of the actors' lungs. I sat on the book for years because of how much I didn't like the movie which honestly pisses me off now that I've read it because the book had subtlety. If not for that shitty ass remake with Angela Bettis and that stupid fucking sequel it would be the worst version of the story. De Palma's spiritual sequel The Fury was a MUCH better treading of the same ground.

The book handled the whole thing like a documentary following a school shooting. It tells, very vaguely, what happened and then it has experts talking and eyewitness accounts from the few survivors peppered in as we slowly get the story of what happened. Carrie's freak-out is a million times more terrifying in the book as we only know about what other people are seeing of this and we don't get Carrie's side of events (the least scary version, and the only version in De Palma's movie) until the end. From what I've heard they're going to try and do the proper format, and Chloe Moretz is a good call for the lead role. I don't know how I feel about Julianne Moore as her mother, she's a great actress but she's too pretty, Kathleen Turner would've been perfect, it also would have been an excuse to let Kathleen Turner out of her cage to act a little bit again.

• 1 month later...

kinda surprised we never had a horror remakes thread, that i can think of. anyway:

This is why we don't pay you for thinkin'.

The narration in that trailer leads me to believe this may be more in line with the book than the film, working as a sort of documentary with interviews with survivors and witnesses and such.

Could be cool, guys. Could be cool.

in retrospect, I dunno about that Evil Dead. A big part of that movie for me is the humor. The trailer looked like a straight up horror movie, a cool horror movie, but possibly not in the proper spirit.

Of course, it's a trailer. They're trying to sell it, and they aren't trying to sell it to me. We'll see.

Axel is both right and wrong. Evil Dead had its humor but said humor was a lot darker than part 2, it mainly involved the entity fucking with Ash to try and scare him. From what little I saw of that trailer I think not-Cheryl is going to have that sense of humor, the bit where she saws her tongue in half with the carving knife is pretty in-tone with the way the Candarian demons mess with their prey. I also don't forsee the blood spray not happening, that's just too iconic not to duplicate. I am genuinely excited for something I have sworn against for so long, don't take this from me because if it blows I am going to be really bummed out for a long time.

Ah, I see what y'all are saying. I'm just thinking about how over the top the humor got in the last 2, and how much it contrasts, but yeah this new one looks way way darker than the first Evil Dead still. The release date is really not too far off though, so hopefully they'll get some more footage out before too long.

• 6 months later...