Hondo's Bar

Movie remakes and reboots

it seems that hollywood has been doling out these remakes by the barrel full. they try and artsy up the term 'remake' with 're-imagining.' i dont think im gonna re-imagine jason voorhees as nothing more than a deformed psychopath with a machete.... and apparently neither did the director of the new friday the 13th. he made him a little bit faster, but did he really need that? now i really like alot of remakes. peter jackson's king kong was awesome and i love the thing. even dawn of the dead kicked ass. but we really dont need a play by play remake of the omen. it was enjoyable but unnecessary. what really is the biggest annoyance are the upcoming onslaught of foreign remakes: oldboy, the host, versus, let the right one in, and the newest movie martyrs are all coming to america. i know the driving force behind this is $$$$$$$$ but is a little originality too much to ask?

Edited by axel_napalm

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jason was that fast and even that smart in the first 4 movies. It was part 6 onward that turned him into a slow lumbering retarded giant. And to be honest, the way they made Jason was the way Jason has always been made, if anything they improved him.

The Omen was shit but lets be honest the original was kinda weak too, no?

I am okay with remakes if they do them of bad movies. Like for example, Prom Night was shit, but so was the original Prom Night so I feel no chagrin to the film-makers other than the chagrin I feel toward bad film-makers in general. But look at cases like Friday the 13th, My Bloody Valentine, The Last House on the Left, and hopefully the upcoming Night of the Demons which took an incredibly shitty movie and made it good.

Not to mention, without remakes we wouldn't have The Thing, The Fly, Scarface, Cape Fear, Dawn of the Dead, Reefer Madness, Little Shop of Horrors, Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Utter shit when compared with the original, but still worlds above anything made in the last 20 years), Gone in 60 Seconds (I still prefer the original, but the new one is quite good), The Italian Job (also not as good as the original, but still quite good despite having nothing to do with its predecessor), and a few others here and there. I personally think they should stay away from good movies and just remake shitty ones (Chopping Mall, anyone?) but some of the big title ones have been very good.

i totally forgot about the fly. and wasnt even aware that scarface was a remake. metalheart- yeah thats crazy about LTROI. i think its super unnecessary. im most upset about will smith in oldboy :no: theyll definitely cut that out @ baytor

I shouldn't be so mean to Twilight, after all the people who were remaking Near Dark decided not to because it was going to be "too much like Twilight." So whew, crisis averted.

holy fuck really? then you couldnt be more right

Does anyone else feel like "Well, this looks like fun, but did they have to use Sherlock Holmes? If they were going to discard everything about the character except his nationality, the general time period, and that fact that he's kind of a detective, why not just create a new character?" On the plus side, it looks like Guy Ritchie might be able branch out from cockney gangster films without totally sucking.

"I say old chap, what's that thumping sound?"

"Oh that? That's just Sir Arthur Conan Doyle spinning in his grave."

P.S. I think I'm going to start calling this movie Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Carriages (because pipes does not have enough sylables and smoke stacks is too many words) from now on.

P.P.S I think this is part of the film industry's agenda to make a movie that bastardizes an old pulp detective character that people idolized (Think about it "Batman and Robin", "The Spirit", "Dick Tracy", "The Green Hornet" though I would argue Batman was bastardized long before. Some would also say "The Shadow" but they can suck my dick, I loved that movie and until Sam Raimi finally gets his version made it's still the best adaptation anyone could hope for.)

P.S. This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were taken out.

Edited by Iambaytor

• 11 months later...

I was inspired to make this after watching Wings of Desire.

wings_of_desire.jpg

Excellent goddamn movie. I really enjoyed it, I got a lot out of seeing it. I don't throw around the word "brilliant" often, but it applies here.

Then we have the american remake:

33042.gif

City of Fucking Angels. Piece a shit. No debate there. Look me in the eyes. Say it with me now: Piece a shit. Any poetry of the original is completely lost and it's turned into an overly sentimental sack of puke.

That one falls in the shameful category.

They aren't all bad. I enjoyed the first 45 minutes of Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead remake enough to forgive the rest. I think Cape Fear was a drastic improvement on the original.

Before I stop, I'm gonna throw the high lord of all pointless remakes out there. It's reign is so mighty that it's a cliché for me to even mention it.

Psycho (1998). Completely pointless.

I'm could go on all day with these. I won't.

Coming Soon: Let The Right One In

Agreed on all of the above, though I think Death at a Funeral now stands out to me as the most pointless remake ever made.

I'll name drop the obvious ones here:

The Thing, Scarface, The Blob, The Fly.

Some people that the remake of Funny Games was similarly pointless but I don't. Having seen both versions and heard the director's thoughts on both I have to say the remake was the movie he originally wanted to make, it was meant to be American, the actors were meant to be clean-cut Aryan fuckers, and there were just a lot of things he wanted to do with the original version that he didn't get to. This is why I support the remake even if it is a shot-for-shot job.

As for Let Me In, I'm not sure where I stand on it. My knee-jerk reaction is to hate it but the director seems to have more than a passing care about the subject matter. He made a point to set it in Colorado in the 80s and though he changed to main characters' names it's not too traumatizing. He picked two great child actors (Codi Smit-McFee from "The Road" and Chloe Moritz from "Kick-Ass", not to mention Richard Jenkins from "Burn After Reading" as Hakken) So far, the setting and the actors please me, so any fuck-ups at this stage will be on the shoulders of the script or the director.

EDIT: This picture gives me hope

Edited by Iambaytor

im most upset about will smith in oldboy :mad: theyll definitely cut that out @ baytor
sometimes things work out for the very best.
As for Let Me In, I'm not sure where I stand on it. My knee-jerk reaction is to hate it but the director seems to have more than a passing care about the subject matter. He made a point to set it in Colorado in the 80s and though he changed to main characters' names it's not too traumatizing. He picked two great child actors (Codi Smit-McFee from "The Road" and Chloe Moritz from "Kick-Ass", not to mention Richard Jenkins from "Burn After Reading" as Hakken) So far, the setting and the actors please me, so any fuck-ups at this stage will be on the shoulders of the script or the director.EDIT: This picture gives me hope
do you know if they're keeping the ending in tact?

Let The Right One In explores the notion that a child who is abused isn't going to spend all of his time weeping in the corner and feeling mopey, he's going to be fucking violent. That doesn't really happen much in American movies, especially in the protagonist. It makes the general public uncomfortable/doesn't do well with focus groups. Take it out and you've changed the entire dynamic of the film.

Shit like that is what worries me.

It's like Kick-Ass. Everyone says that all the violence is intact, but the blood is not what made me enjoy the book. It irritates me that vicious gore is fine, but having your main character's first foray into fighting crime be stopping a relatively harmless act of graffiti perpetuated by black youths is not ok. Having your superhero be a cursing, ultra conservative lying asshole is not ok.

Bah. Off on a tangent. Slightly drunk.

Long story short (too late), I'm afraid the mainstream American film industry is going to demand certain changes to make characters more sympathetic to the masses.

I hope I'm wrong, but I will be bumping this if I'm not.

ALSO:

bios_townspeople_wiggum.gif

Way to merge there, Lou.

I didn't know that this thread already existed. :wink:

Let The Right One In explores the notion that a child who is abused isn't going to spend all of his time weeping in the corner and feeling mopey, he's going to be fucking violent. That doesn't really happen much in American movies, especially in the protagonist. It makes the general public uncomfortable/doesn't do well with focus groups. Take it out and you've changed the entire dynamic of the film.

Shit like that is what worries me.

It's like Kick-Ass. Everyone says that all the violence is intact, but the blood is not what made me enjoy the book. It irritates me that vicious gore is fine, but having your main character's first foray into fighting crime be stopping a relatively harmless act of graffiti perpetuated by black youths is not ok. Having your superhero be a cursing, ultra conservative lying asshole is not ok.

Well like I said, they haven't said what they're keeping yet (Lindsay, I have no clue whether the ending will be changed or not)

Also all that stuff you said about Kick-Ass is all the same, including the part about Big Daddy. His motivation is changed to something more conventional but he's still the same character in spite of all this. Personally I've seen a lot less of the "safe" hero in movies in the last 5 years. Kick-Ass may seem like glossed over shit to you, and admittedly they did soften the edges some, but it's still a huge step above what we would've expected several years ago. Movies have been getting more vicious since 1999 and we may not quite be there yet but we've come a long way.

yeah, i'm not a fan of the changes they do for american remakes or american releases of foreign films. the change in the descent was so ridiculous. that's what i'm worried about with let me in. i think that was an important scene in let the right one in and leaving it out would really piss me off. my guess is that they'll leave it out because of america's uber-sensitivity to school violence (among other things) but i'm hoping i'm wrong. the way it was filmed in the original was perfect.

• 1 year later...

next up: The Crow

The Crow

Release Date: TBA

Studio: Not Available

Director: Juan Carlos Fresnadillo

Screenwriter: Alex Tse, Juan Carlos Fresnadillo

Starring: Not Available

Genre: Action, Drama, Thriller

MPAA Rating: Not Available

Official Website: Not Available

Review: Not Available

DVD Review: Not Available

DVD: Not Available

Movie Poster: Not Available

Production Stills: Not Available

Plot Summary: A reinvention of "The Crow," based on the comic created by James O'Barr. The reboot will focus on the character of Eric Draven (infamously played in the 1994 film by Brandon Lee).

Trailer:

Coming Soon!

Read more: The Crow - Trailers, Videos, and Reviews ComingSoon.net Movie Database http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?...#ixzz1QDDW28Do

honestly, i never saw any of the sequels, but if what i've heard is true, it's far too late for Brandon to start rolling in his grave at this point.

• 9 months later...

Chloe Moretz picked for 'Carrie' remake

dHYSW.jpg

From Roger Birnbaum, CEO of MGM:

It's intention is to go back and make it more similar to Stephen King's novel. The film is going to have interviews with the survivors of the prom incident, and focus on that take.

Now the potentially bad: he's making it sound like it's a "found footage" type movie

That's how the book was though: it straight up tells you in the first pages that Carrie goes apeshit and kills almost everybody, there's a few people you don't know if she kills or not but they're peripheral characters at best. The story is told but there's several asides throughout that are from medical journals, interviews, and books people have written on the subject. I actually kind of prefer this take. I would be okay with having some cell-phone footage during the massacre or whatever but long portions of the story take place that nobody could know about except the people who they're happening to so it would have to be done kind of in the style of a History Channel documentary just with actual film footage interspersed.