Hondo's Bar

Music/band games...when is enough enough?

HypnotizinChikns

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/143/14303807.html

Okay, so this thread isn't really about guitar hero, however there has been some backlash from the gamer community over yet another twist on band games. I can see the why, i don't plan on buying GH5 myself, becuase i feel that any new songs should just be put on as DLC. i don't want to buy another music game, just to play songs that should already be available (dammit!).

Now granted, GH5 has some pretty cool features, such as dropping in and out during a song without failing. On the other hand, why couldn't they just make an update for the game (like they have for the gliches in Fallout 3 for example, or how EA does for the Sims every month)?

Anyways, what are your thoughts? Will you be buying GH5?

i actually was talking about this earlier. and you're totally right about new patches. those should be released rather than a whole new game. like instead of rockband3, it should be the RB3 patch which updates stuff like the character creator plus a new song library or somethin like that. but the music genre as a whole i think is gonna survive. :blink:

Well, there's certainly merit to this argument. I mean, the things that changed in RB2 were nice, but nothing that couldn't be fixed with a patch. Then again, I spend like $60 for over 100 songs, as opposed to about $2/song. Would I have bought all of those songs individually? No, but it was still a good value. The upcoming Beatles game will allow three microphones to be plugged in or three-part harmonizing, so that's something that couldn't really have been done with simple DLC. The thing is that only a minority of the people that buy these games on the platforms that have DLC available ever buy any DLC. Given that, Rock Band's available to import the old game's songs into your new library is pretty cool. It has gone pretty overboard though. Especially on Guitar Hero's side. Rock Band have only Lego Rock Band and the Beatles Rock Band this year (besides the track-packs, were are of already existing DLC).

I mean we could easily be looking at Toby Keith's Drunken Dog-Fuckin' Twang-A-Thon 7 in 10 years.

Day-1 purchase.

ive mixed feelings on this. on one hand, im not a fan of activision's milkings a la metallica, aerosmith etc but if big fans of those bands are happy, hey, they oughta make more.

Lips didnt look like it went down how i wanted. there's talk with the upcoming DJ hero and spinoff games of getting hip-hop and techno into those scenes, and ive been waiting for the former to get something along these lines since Beatmania in the late 90s before this shit got big. Not many other hondonains would give a shit if i got a Roots game, or MH's cello game, but if the genre lends itself to these things eventually, ill be grateful for all the dog-fuckin's it took to get there.

To be fair it's not rock band fault that the Beatles is going to be a separate game, from my understanding that was pretty much how it had to go.

I'm gonna try to look it up but I remember reading that the numbers have been way down lately for these kinda games because at the moment the market is completely flooded and lets be honest, how many songs do you really need? at what point do you get a new song to only play it a couple of times? This is probably a bigger problem for people who only play when friends are over do you really 600+ songs? This market has ended up in the same place tony hawk did, too many releases in too short period of time, except here it's been insane how many we've had. On the other hand if it gets us Kazoo hero I"m golden!!

Activision(who also are responsible for TH) are the ones at fault here, with 5 releases & counting in the last 18 months(GH3, GH:Aero, GH4, GH: Metallica, GH: Greatest Hits). Harmonix have released 3 games & a metric fucktonne of content. Being that the dedicated band games like ACDC & Beatles are really treated as expansions & are priced accordingly, I don't know that anyone has anything to jump up & down about on that side of the fence. Activision not only put out shit that doesn't work, but retail their shit as bundles or at least at the cost of a new game. My guess is that's what people resent more.

Activision(who also are responsible for TH) are the ones at fault here, with 5 releases & counting in the last 18 months(GH3, GH:Aero, GH4, GH: Metallica, GH: Greatest Hits). Harmonix have released 3 games & a metric fucktonne of content. Being that the dedicated band games like ACDC & Beatles are really treated as expansions & are priced accordingly, I don't know that anyone has anything to jump up & down about on that side of the fence. Activision not only put out shit that doesn't work, but retail their shit as bundles or at least at the cost of a new game. My guess is that's what people resent more.

/agree they do this with anything they think they can get away with (I'm waiting on them trying to bully blizzard, that should be fun) but the sad fact is everytone ends up paying for it, and they won't stop till it's too late, I mean how many hero games are due to come out now? a fuck ton.

Imagine being Australian, too. On one hand you have Harmonix with a clearly superior product but who've wiped their arses with the Australian market, so we instinctually support Activision who at least support us as buyers, but can really only swamp the market with broken crap.

I think what we really need to worry about is what happens when all the smaller companies get hold of this. I mean we could easily be looking at Toby Keith's Drunken Dog-Fuckin' Twang-A-Thon 7 in 10 years.
ROFL
Day-1 purchase. ive mixed feelings on this. on one hand, im not a fan of activision's milkings a la metallica, aerosmith etc but if big fans of those bands are happy, hey, they oughta make more. Lips didnt look like it went down how i wanted. there's talk with the upcoming DJ hero and spinoff games of getting hip-hop and techno into those scenes, and ive been waiting for the former to get something along these lines since Beatmania in the late 90s before this shit got big. Not many other hondonains would give a shit if i got a Roots game, or MH's cello game, but if the genre lends itself to these things eventually, ill be grateful for all the dog-fuckin's it took to get there.
I was thinking I might be able to partake in this discussion, but then I read your post and I remembered. OH! I don't know shit about video games. I need to go back to the Hot Chicks Pics forum.

Imagine being Australian, too. On one hand you have Harmonix with a clearly superior product but who've wiped their arses with the Australian market, so we instinctually support Activision who at least support us as buyers, but can really only swamp the market with broken crap.

Yeah, but at least the Beatles game will get simultaneous North American/European/Australian release (09/09/09). Even those undeserving filthy Kiwis are getting it on the same day as the rest of the world. Like they're part of the civilized world or something.

was thinking I might be able to partake in this discussion, but then I read your post and I remembered. OH! I don't know shit about video games. I need to go back to the Hot Chicks Pics forum.

hey hey now, youve played Rock Band at jax's no? youre just as qualified to say if you think there oughta be more or less of these things, what bands/instruments youd like to see, etc!

baytor: dont act like we're not all quietly waiting/praying for the dreamcast 2 announcement that day.

i think there should be a recordable opton on rockband/guitar hero. like a usb camera records you goin nuts (think singstar). and a split screen is you on one side and the track on the other.... or just you in the background in the place of the band.

Yes, because when I play Guitar Hero I think to myself "Gee, I do so enjoy holding a miniature toy guitar and most likely looking like a huge tool while singing off-key to 'More Than a Feeling' but I just don't think it's obvious enough to myself. If only somebody would hook up a camera so I could watch myself flailing about like an elephant seal in heat, then truly, I would be blessed."

• 2 weeks later...

The songs that will appear in Guitar Hero Smash Hits are as follows:Tracks from Guitar Hero:Blue Öyster Cult - "Godzilla" Boston - "More Than A Feeling" Deep Purple - "Smoke On The Water" Franz Ferdinand - "Take Me Out" Helmet - "Unsung (Live)" Incubus - "Stellar" Joan Jett & The Blackhearts - "I Love Rock N? Roll" Ozzy Osbourne - "Bark At The Moon" Pantera - "Cowboys From Hell (Live)" Queen - "Killer Queen" Queens Of The Stone Age - "No One Knows" The Donnas - "Take It Off" The Exies - "Hey You" White Zombie - "Thunder Kiss ?65" Tracks from Guitar Hero II:Alice In Chains - "Them Bones" Avenged Sevenfold - "Beast And The Harlot" Danzig - "Mother" Foo Fighters - "Monkey Wrench" Iron Maiden - "The Trooper" Jane?s Addiction - "Stop!" Kansas - "Carry On Wayward Son" Lamb Of God - "Laid To Rest" Lynyrd Skynyrd - "Free Bird" Mötley Crüe- "Shout At The Devil" Nirvana - "Heart-Shaped Box" Rage Against The Machine - "Killing In The Name" Reverend Horton Heat - "Psychobilly Freakout" Rush - "YYZ"Stone Temple Pilots - "Trippin? On A Hole In A Paper Heart" The Police - "Message In A Bottle" The Sword - "Freya" Warrant - "Cherry Pie" Wolfmother - "Woman" Tracks from Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s:Anthrax - "Caught In A Mosh" Extreme - "Play With Me" Judas Priest - "Electric Eye" Poison - "Nothin? But A Good Time" Ratt - "Round and Round" Twisted Sister - "I Wanna Rock" Tracks from Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock:AFI - "Miss Murder" DragonForce - "Through The Fire And Flames" Heart - "Barracuda" Kiss - "Rock And Roll All Nite" Living Colour - "Cult Of Personality" Pat Benatar - "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" Priestess - "Lay Down" Slayer - "Raining Blood" Tracks from Guitar Hero: Aerosmith:Aerosmith - "Back In The Saddle.being that my ps3 wont let the gh3 controller work for the ps2 GH's this looks like a good investment :sad:

Archived