Hondo's Bar

Kinect

The NZA

maybe not superscope but untill it happens otherwise I really wonder how many people(past the hardcore, they don't want the hardcore they want casual market nintendo has) will buy it.

id argue seperating these markets has already cost MS too much in past gens, and that they're not aiming to do so here. im speculating based on their choices this gen, though.

The other side is games, will the games be good, hwo many games will be made, it's not so bad if your a big name stuido(though having to do special natal/psmove controls will add to game costs)

...is that last bit necessarily true? you might be presupposing AAA budgets that wouldn't automatically be the aim here, im thinking. factor in the % of the xbox's hardware that has to be borrowed to work with this, since we now know it wont have a CPU of its own, and i think its safe to say the aim wont be Uncharted 2/FF XIII level visuals right off the bat. hell, if we're gonna take from what nintendo's done this gen, id expect new IPs and a mix of preexisting ports like RE5: Gun Fingahs edition and the like, as possibilities.

but smaller studios will have to see if it's worth it to them to put out titles for it, the install base will never be more then what... 50% at best? and thats if they start out just putting it in every xbox (they won't, there will still be a low end model that comes without it)

initially, sure. you're right to point to the install base concerns here, as its not universally integrated (do you think it analogus to say the same of rumble and headsets on ps3, though?), but i think we agreed if its packaged - or better yet, bundled - somewhere between $50 and $100 it has a great chance around the holidays, depending on the lineup like you said.

from that, XBLA and their growing indie development scene could potentially run with this and do some pretty innovative/fun on-demand and such titles for a fraction of the big budget stuff. think of how exciting the first Resident Evil was as your entry to survival horror, despite the b-plot/dialogue, tank controls etc. there's room to revisit already stale genres and do so cheaper.

Maybe I'm wrong and people will flock but will it be the people they want or do those people already have a wii and if they do why change? There's a good saying that if you are trying to get into a market when it's already blown up your already too late.

i feel falling on conventional wisdom and trying to study past gens/assuming that's a science is how MS and Sony got left behind here.

wii established a market, and its debatable how much was going to stay on past the buzz, but there's a lot of us that would've done more if more'd been offered. they're obviously onto something by the sales, and obviously more could be done by the evident lack of 3rd party support. i mean, lower production costs/higher install base sounds like a formula for success right now, so why aren't they flocking there? the answer's gotta be more complex than a nintendo fanboy's reply of "THEY HATE MONEY" or something.

There's also the chance that they are trying to do this instead of launching a new system to try and push that back futher since I havnt' heard a damn thing about the ps4/xbox 720.

i thought this was about the safest assumption of the discussion: no one's racing to the next gen. MS is finally making money, sony wants to recoup on losses, no one wants to sell new/possibly expensive hardware in a recession. its why the rumors of a slim/rebranding as MS' sort've way to extend this gen (like you could argue nintendo did with gamecube hardware in the wii) strike me as very plausible.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

current rumors are pegging the natel price at 150, I think this may be to high, thoughts?(yes I'm assuming it's coming with a game because that would be insanity itself) and the natel with system for 300.

So we in Oz can exptect to be paying upward of $250 in the year 2015. God I hope I still have legs and not smart bacterial strands by then

23wo9zo.gif

heh

150 is indeed high; better be bundled with some Wii sports-level shit to move units around the holidays, rebranding be damned. Really am interested in their panel at E3, even if they're kinda dicks for running at the same time as sony's ( :love: )...but i cant get around gun's prior point of them trying to push a fairly expensive add-on mid-gen. he thinks getting 40% of the current userbase is optimistic...i cant really argue with that, but lots of things this gen (the Wii, for one) have fucked with our sense of history/expectations, so i guess we'll see.

i get that, my point was the wii's success is just one of this gen's examples that the market changes and we shouldn't keep looking at past examples to assume we know how things'll play out.

this is a peripheral, sure enough, but with the marketing/rebranding MS is doing, plus the unique situation we're in (no one's in a rush to the next gen, as both the big 2 are roughly just starting to see profit and obviously want to extend this one, etc), i don't think its accurate to point at a RAM cartridge, Super scope, Turbo duo or such things and apply that here. i still think you might be right about the saturation % and all, but how many new users might buy in around the holidays if they really push this thing? ever since that Time article, ive been thinking MS is banking on/putting more into this than usual (or sony, for that matter)...but i think we can agree on the E3 lineup possibly making or breaking it this year.

I really dug Joel & Rudy's set-up w/ the 360in the living room being an entertainment hub and not just a gaming center. It got me considering getting one. A reasonably well priced periphery such as the Natal (sp?) could push me over the edge. Speaking of things that push me over edges...

Do you not want to hit both those adults in the face with bats..repeatedly...or is it just me?

both PS3 and 360 have good media hubs going...i stream music from my room to the living room that way, what do joel & co use theirs for?

They use that--I think. But their PC's are networked through the 360 as well and Joel has a sweet Logitech remote that controls it all. He should get in here and 'splain it...

Some crazy shit flying around, aside from the rumored $150 price point, there's alot of talk that you can't use it while sitting down, this has been brought up by both IGN and Kataku and it was noted that you could not sit down during any demo of it, not even for forza, and when the kotaku guy tried and asked if he could he was also told that it was either opitmized for standing or being worked on. Some developer said that MS said not to make games the require or can use sitting just yet....

O_O wow wow wow if this is true and ends up not being ready in time for launch. BTW it seems this also seems to extend to the hand movents for menu's and movie controls(spoken controls still work but you can't set it to only your voice -_-) While MS can still pull everything off I think they are coming very close to a distaster, if the sitting thing ends up true at launch and the 150 price point... plus sony has said that move games will be 40 bucks and right now rumor says kincet will be 60..... thoughts?

**edit**

This was put up after I posted this.

"There has been some confusion about this, but Microsoft assured us that you can sit down while using Kinect. The company wants you to be able to relax and enjoy using your Xbox 360, so it says you definitely won't have to stand while watching a movie."

Sadly it just makes it sound like it will work for movies and not games...MS pr department needs help :/

Edited by gunsmithx

you know...im a little more pleased with nintnedo at the moment.

bish was talking about this analyst thread on GAF, and how their blue ocean thing worked wonders & brought in crazy money: sure, theyve got at least 3 more wii fit sequels/moneypools left to do, but 3rd party support/buzz dying out a bit showed the well might've run a bit dry, just in time for MS (and sony, to a much lesser extent it seems) to show up and try. this leaves nintendo looking back over at sustainable markets, and we - core gamers - are it, hence the push for more core titles shown for the 3DS than anything (there was like one nintendo + cats game for 10+ others).

MS got USA today headlines & buzz with this, like they wanted. they're finally outgrowing the dudebro Halobox stereotype they had for years...they can cash in on yoga games and dance sims and tamagotchi stuff, long as i still get what im looking for (granted, im more interested in Fable 3 than Gears or Halo next, myself, but you get what im saying). point is..i say be happy for em, this gen's not going anywhere soon.

but MS let a lotta their good (by me) second-party studios go. theyre not in the shape Sony's in that way, and surely not Nintendo. so if they dont balance things out & also end up neglecting core gamers...they'll have to bust their asses at next year's E3 to get us excited again. i'm cool either way.

...holy shit though, i honestly wasnt expecting it to hit that well at that price. let's see how long it stays up there!

Ok here's the scope, only 2 players at a time, and right now you have to stand up for EVERYTHING even movies and menus, though they hope to have it so you can sit down for movies controls by launch(no pressure there dev team!) no timeline for when you'd be able to make games that would need you to sit down but for right now they are telling dev's, dont' plan on it.... oh man this launch is gonna be intriguing.

• 2 weeks later...

kinectbox2khcf.jpg

eh...i gotta say, i love my purple gamecube, but the joker's color scheme isn't working as well here. not that boxart makes that big a deal, but i agree with others that it strikes me more as a pharmaceutical ad than wii-esque design.

also, obligatory:

14s047.jpg