Hondo's Bar

Kinect

The NZA

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watchout! You've offended the sensibilities of a Newt!

The game isn't out yet, that trailer was new when I posted it.

A word of warning though: sit on that one until the reviews come out. Peter Molyneux there is notorious for making incredibly cool trailers and lofty promises.

I'm a huge Fable fan, and for the first two games I really enjoyed them despite that they weren't what was promised. So I bought the Fable 3 special edition on launch day. It was an unbelievable piece of shit.

I just couldn't get into it. This is coming from someone who probably put triple digit hours into each of the first two games and had characters dedicated to every conceivable choice or way of play.

Some focus group testing cunt decided that "people don't want to get ugly just because they're evil", so they drastically scaled back the physical transformations your character would make. A purely retarded step backwards. The game is incredibly anti-climactic. I filled my kingdom coffer for what I assumed was a midpoint plot turn in the game. NOPE. Game over.

They're philosophy that "players HATE menus" made the game slower and more clunky. Oh, no menu, so if you want to change clothes teleport to your house and physically walk over to the clothes you want to wear. Can you please, PLEASE just give me the option to scroll down and hit "A"?

It was just a treasure trove of over thought, over tested, stupid ideas.

i really liked 2, and 3 was a huge turnoff for me too. it's like they took a simple, approachable system and wanted to dumb it down.

i spent an hour or two hearing the words "hero" and "destiny" like they were memes, and arrived at a frozen town of beggars who i slowly brought to my cause by making farty noises with my armpits repeatedly whenever they asked for food. it was like JZA made an anti-Occupy game and no one got the joke, for me.

related: Molyneux is now gone from MS/lionhead, as of quite recently, so there's that.

I loved 1, I just resented 2 on account of 1) at the last minute them switching out all the cool contents which ended up being the CE for 3 for shitty Master Chief armour DLC and 2) the game breaking literaly no new ground from the first, other than removing the minimap. Never fucked with 3 as a result.

Yeah, I've no idea who the guy was in the video or that he was somehow notorious in the gaming world. I thought the Memento reference was possibly due to the fact the game might have been vaporware. Never played any iteration of Fable. I just thought the description of how the game is supposed to use the Kinnect interface was pretty great.

• 8 months later...

So I traded in a stack of games and ended up snagging a Kinect on impulse for $40 to use up the rest of the credit.

I got Gunstringer and Child of Eden, just been trying out demos. Most of the games are stupid, but the tech works. I did get a kick out of Kati frantically trying to call her Kinectimal, which she had named "Hitler-did-nothing-wrong".

Voice commands work really well. Probably mostly use it for that, if I don't just decide I want my $40 back tomorrow.

Edited by Thrizzle

that's a horrible kinectimal name

yeah i saw the stupid deal going on these...i think you prolly chose the best games. how you like Eden with motion vs sticks? i preferred the later, bish didn't.

oh yeah, grab the Diabolical Pitch demo and lemme know what you think. i wanted to buy that one, seemed like one of the better ones. i wish i couldve gotten Rise of Nightmares to control worth a shit too.