Hondo's Bar

Mobile Hondo's

The NZA

By the time most of you see this I will be violently weeping at the coding mess, assuming all went well, a default skin should be enabled, customized for viewing from phones/mobile devices - gunsmith, senshik & other hondonians have asked for years, and this is one of the more exciting things coming out of the upgrade. Mobile users, please feel free to post impressions/suggestions!

That said, this is not our only option, so i wanted to let these users know what else is on the table:

-Tapatalk - By the end of this week, I should have our forum submitted to this service (they already advertise compatibility with over 5,000 forums), feel free to try their demo app, but you will not be able to post/PM from it. If satisfied, they offer the full version for $3, and Senshik claims she's likely to go for it based on the layout, so take a look & see if you prefer it. I'm looking forward to seeing what a Hondo's App looks like.

-Alternatively, a $10 member donation could get us a skin specifically designed for our forum software. Take a look at the screenshots & see what you think.

I'll post more options as I come across them, but I'm quite excited about making Hondo's more accessible - let us know what you think!

Definitley pretty good mobile skin. One thing I noticed is no shoutbox!!! Or a way for me to update my status. Still though I'm sure all these little things will be put forward with future updates so definitely excited to see what comes next.

Tapatalk sounds like it would be a good alternative to just using the web browser. A great feature the app offers is the ability to post pictures straight from your phone to the board. Looking forward to having a hondosbar forum widget on my android! ^^

ah, cool - have you tried out the default mobile skin we have now? im curious if users think the $3 app is worth it vs what we've already got going.

speaking of, im finally gonna go submit our boards to their app, be back.

...ok, done! Submitted our fourm to them, and it's been accepted, app's been published. they said to post this as a demo, so here goes:

(again, remember, you can try this product for free, but if you wanna reply to threads or PM, the app is $3, your call)

Tapatalk is a mobile forum app for iPhone / Android and soon to be on Blackberry and Nokia. Tapatalk supports vBulletin (3.x and 4.x) and phpBB forums and forum owner can activate this service for free. Tapatalk supports all the usual forum functions plus full screen image viewing, image upload, caching (less reload), private messaging, all these features are accessible in just a few simple taps.

Tapatalk for iPhone:

Showing New and Unread Posts:

IMG_0036.png

Full Thread Viewing and Pagination Support:

IMG_0037.png

See Who's Online:

IMG_0038.png

Reply to Post and Image Upload:

IMG_0041.png

Some of the large forums activated Tapatalk support

IMG_0042.png

Tapatalk for Android

Total Android Look and Feel

main.png

Same feature set as iPhone:

threadmenu.png

Quickly Reply to a conversation:

thread_bottom_menu.png

Latest and Unread Posts indicator and multi-tabs support:

latest-v.png

Full screen image support - support landscape mode also

imageview.png

Check out http://www.tapatalk.com for more information!

tapatalk kept giving me some error saying that I Was waiting for a browser to finish doing some shit and it wouldn't load any topics. I'll try again later, but the safari skin works fine, even i it does lack the fine "recently updated topics five" section.

yeah, i checked - looks like a one-time cost of $3, id not've recommended em if it was a subscription, i hate that stuff!

Mal/others: Sen was saying it might've been on tappa talk's end, not sure how long it takes them to acclimate to our boards? if anyone could try it out tomorrow & report whatever errors you're getting, i could pass it on & let them know.

it's working for me, I like it and it does what I expect it to do, but then I pretty much always need something to do read. Might not be for everyone but you can try out the free version of it to see if it works for you, thanks again nick.

This tapatalk thing sounds pretty cool. The main thing I'd like to do is upload photos directly from my phone. However, I'm not sure if I'd get this app right away. The new Hondo's layout is so smartphone friendly, that I have to play with it for a while before I'd decide if this tapatalk would be worth the $3. And the money goes to them and not Nick/Hondo's, I'm assuming, or does Hondo's get a cut? If I'm gonna spend money I'd rather it go to Hondo's...

that's kind of ya, but yeah...their service, their revenues.

as for uploading photos...id love to turn uploads back on, but our server still sits at 1 GB of space total, and i worked hard to cut us down to about 700 MB currently (we're gonna need more potentially for future mods, etc), so i cant activate uploads again for a while. you're free to do so at flickr, tinypic etc in the meantime, though.

god i miss hondoshare

wait, did you guys decide on a name, finally? also, not liking the banner there? i can try jax's homemade one, but its likely gonna look like ass against the background.

Well, Men of Action (Figures) won the poll by one vote. "HB Toys" & "TOYpocalypse" tied for second place. We could have a runoff between those three choices, but IMHO the poll has been up for months so I say the tribe has spoken on this issue.

And Jax's banner wouldn't clash w/ the background if the background was changed....just sayin'.

I'll try the ap in a couple of days, but until then I guess I'll just stay quiet. I'm finding hondos not so fun from my iPhone now. I can't skip pages in a topic, only go to previous or next, I can't see what's the last active topic in a forum, can pretty much not do anything but weed through pages to try to find out what's going on on here. Idk if I just ont know how to use hondos mobile or what, but it's frustrating, and since I can't get on hondos on a computer I'm just going to leave it alone for a while.

I'll try the ap in a couple of days, but until then I guess I'll just stay quiet. I'm finding hondos not so fun from my iPhone now. I can't skip pages in a topic, only go to previous or next, I can't see what's the last active topic in a forum, can pretty much not do anything but weed through pages to try to find out what's going on on here. Idk if I just ont know how to use hondos mobile or what, but it's frustrating, and since I can't get on hondos on a computer I'm just going to leave it alone for a while.

You're right in that the new interface leaves less options on the iPhone than the old one--which was basically just the like Hondo's on a regular PC sans shoutbox function or being able to highlight spoiler tags. However, I'm finding the new Hondo's on the iPhone MUCH easier to navigate. One of the big problems for me on the iPhone was all zooming in and out on Hondo's, w/ the homepage especially. It'd always click on a link I didn't want, and that got really annoying.

What I usually do when surfing New Hondo's on my iPhone is click the button next to "Hondo's Bar" on the main page then go to "new content." That gives you the new stuff right away. Then when you click on the gray arrow next to a topic it takes you to the very last post in a thread and you can work your way back from there. true you can't just jump back to "page 15" or something, but you should never have to go back more than a few pages to catch up on a topic if you come in fairly regularly.

You're right in that the mobile homepage only gives the date and time of the last post in a given forum, but again, the "new content" button gives you all the updated threads since your last visit anyway. I didn't go for the tappatalk app b/c I don't do my main browsing here on my iPhone, so the new mobile interface suits my needs. However,it was either Bish or GunsmithX who wrote earlier about how he loved it. you can check it out for free, but it won't let you post until you buy--which, if you like it and do all your browsing from the iPhone, should be worth the $3.

• 4 weeks later...

Question: Once Hondo's is mobile there's no going back? I know, back in the day, I used to be able to switch between the two. What I mean is, do I have the option to look at Hondos on my phone like it looks on a normal computer?

...when were you able to switch between the two?

i believe the mobile skin is default when the site's looked at by phones/mobile devices, as the board's default skin is formatted to look like crap from such a screen. you can try out tappa talk and see what you think, too, but if you somehow hate both and want the board to look stretchy, i'm not sure how to enable that as an option for just you, is the thing.

Archived