Hondo's Bar

World War Z: The Movie

That sounds likely. This movie sounds more "loosely based on" the book each time I hear something. Fuck the movie.

Try "we paid a few million dollars for the right to use this title we knew would sell more tickets. We'll probably get around to reading the book soon...but don't hold your breathe."

• 3 months later...

recent footage revealed at a Paramount event

The presentation ended on a profoundly high note with a trailer for the adaptation of Max Brooks' zombie novel, World War Z. It begins with Brad Pitt's character sitting in traffic with his family. They're busy playing a game when a cop bashes on their window in a panic. Standing near the driver side window, the cop begs Pitt to stay in his vehicle and, soon thereafter, is pummeled by a bus careening out of control. An explosion erupts and a mass of people race down the city streets. Pitt and his family hop into an abandoned RV and we get a glimpse of the world in madness. Beyond an unusual pair of eyes, we don't get a good look at World War Z's zombies, but the measures the uninfected take to reach safety might further confirm what last year's set footage revealed - that these zombies can run. In the trailer, gigantic hordes of people are scrambling for dear life. They're not just pushing and shoving each other out of the way, rather climbing on top of each other and manically hanging onto a hovering helicopter. In one of the trailer's final shots, there's a mountain of people trying to climb over a wall that must be hundreds of wriggling bodies high. The material is dark and downright horrifying, not only showing what could happen should the undead invade on a physical level, but also reflecting the societal meltdown that would ensue, and the pure chaos we'd be left with. World War Z was certainly the crown jewel of the presentation and, based on the footage, looks to be well worth the wait.

The writer of that piece is all giddy about it, but it isn't making me any more excited for it. Maybe if it was called something else, but since it isn't, it still sounds like a terrible adaptation so far.

• 3 weeks later...

Gonna post this for folks that can't see that one

I'm not gonna lie, this does look like it could be cool. Now it doesn't look like a good adaptation of the book itself, but it could be a good movie still. Give me some red and I'll be back on board.