Hondo's Bar

Favourite Judd Apatow Crew Comedy

Apatow Comedies  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Above are listed in chronological order all the "main" Apatow comedies. This is less about Judd Apatow's work and more about his "crew" or the "Scat Pack" as they're being affectionately called nowadays (including Paul Rudd, Seth Rogen, Jason Segel, Jonah Hill, Steve Carrell, Bill Hader etc). I made it multiple choice cos fuck it there are so many quality movies up there I couldn't possibly just choose one. Maybe keep it down to 2 or 3 choices to make it interesting.

Didn't put in I Love You Man cos I was trying to go for classic, established Apatow movies. Only one I'm missing there is Talladega Nights which I only saw half of. I understand there's mixed opinons on it so I just gave it the benefit of the doubt and put it in. Others like Wake Up Ron Burgundy I felt it was better to omit altogether lest we all catch the AIDS.

Yeah I saw a Freaks and Geeks rerun before and it wasn't bad. Pubescent Seth Rogen did not look right to me!

So hard to pick.

Loved walk hard - laughed my arse off at 40 year old virgin....

But in the end I went with Knocked Up & Anchorman for moments like these:

"My vagina will NEVER LOOK THE SAME AFTER THIS!!!!!"

&

"Youre a dirty pirate hooker"

Apatow comedies are first and foremost about people. Just random people being funny in their everyday lives. The first half hour of superbad is probably the funniest part of that whole movie purely for Jonah Hills dialogue. "Have you ever looked into his eyes? Its like the first time I heard the Beatles!" "I'll be like the Iron Chef of poundin' vag" etc etc

here goes.

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy - had its moments. this was one of the last times i liked Will Ferrell, which is kinda a shame.

The 40 Year Old Virgin - this was fucking funny.

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby - i admittedly didnt see this one, it didnt look good to me. if its at least as funny as anchroman, ill catch it sometime.

Knocked Up - i was letdown here. mebbe i was expecting 40-year old V quality, but i got a few laughs from a romantic comedy in disguise.

Superbad - this shit was also funny. its like the further adventures of george micheal.

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story - this did not look good.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall - a few laughs here, nothing memorable for me past the hot chick from that 70s show.

Pineapple Express - didnt see it, LL & sen liked it as i recall?

so far, its between superbad and anchorman for me. does that new year one or whatever movie count?

so far, its between superbad and anchorman for me. does that new year one or whatever movie count?

alot of people are gonna hate year one, but with me i thought it pretty damn funny. im a big jack black fan though, so maybe thats it too. and whats wrong with michael cera playing himself one more time? NOTHING! Lol :bananaman: top 2 apatows for me= superbad & pineapple express :eh:

• 2 weeks later...
here goes.

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy - had its moments. this was one of the last times i liked Will Ferrell, which is kinda a shame.

The 40 Year Old Virgin - this was fucking funny.

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby - i admittedly didnt see this one, it didnt look good to me. if its at least as funny as anchroman, ill catch it sometime.

Knocked Up - i was letdown here. mebbe i was expecting 40-year old V quality, but i got a few laughs from a romantic comedy in disguise.

Superbad - this shit was also funny. its like the further adventures of george micheal.

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story - this did not look good.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall - a few laughs here, nothing memorable for me past the hot chick from that 70s show.

Pineapple Express - didnt see it, LL & sen liked it as i recall?

The highlighted comments made me bleed from my eyes in frustration.

Why does everyone hate on Dewey Cox? That was a funny fucking movie and so say the rest of the house of Garret.

Why does everyone hate on Dewey Cox? That was a funny fucking movie and so say the rest of the house of Garret.

Not w/ ya on the Dewey Cox movie. I think John C. Riley is better at drama.

hey man, Walk Hard might've been good, i said it looked weak from a trailer. if you say its worth seeing, ill check it out sometime. Forgetting Sarah Marshall i wanted off a long shift, but if you can tell me 3 parts that you thought were really funny, ill concede. Ive got "I will equalize you!" and that's about it.

but i dont get why people dug Knocked Up: again, it was a sappy romantic comedy with a few laughs in there to fool the boys, but was sold as a comedy like 40 year old virgin was. nay sir, the house of garret was fooled.

hey man, Walk Hard might've been good, i said it looked weak from a trailer. if you say its worth seeing, ill check it out sometime. Forgetting Sarah Marshall i wanted off a long shift, but if you can tell me 3 parts that you thought were really funny, ill concede. Ive got "I will equalize you!" and that's about it.

but i dont get why people dug Knocked Up: again, it was a sappy romantic comedy with a few laughs in there to fool the boys, but was sold as a comedy like 40 year old virgin was. nay sir, the house of garret was fooled.

Check out Walk Hard. Its chock full of quotables. Every single Apatow movie has some kind of love story. You say Knocked Up was a rom com in disguise. You're aboslutely right. I have no problem saying Knocked Up was a rom com because it was. The appeal of Judd Apatows moves is that you can go with your girlfriend and both of you will find something awesome in there. Truly unisex comedies if you will. Same deal with Forgetting Sarah Marshall, its about a guy who tries to get over his girl and ends up finding love blah blah blah, cue Patrick Dempsey and Matthew McConaughey I suppose...wait no?....Jason Segel and Russel Brand you say? Interesting.... I couldn't tell you any quotes off the top of my head but it wasn't a quotable type of movie. I was just laughing my ass off for about two hours.

If any of those movies had have been cast with other actors I probably wouldnt have touched them with a ten foot pole. The actors make the movies even if they are rom coms. Plus I'm just loving that laid back style of comedic delivery they seem to have mastered. I'm totally biased though I'll admit. I just love the ever loving shit out of Apatow movies and anyone say different gonna get cut up :blink: and shot too I guess. No knife smiley.

hey man, Walk Hard might've been good, i said it looked weak from a trailer. if you say its worth seeing, ill check it out sometime. Forgetting Sarah Marshall i wanted off a long shift, but if you can tell me 3 parts that you thought were really funny, ill concede. Ive got "I will equalize you!" and that's about it. but i dont get why people dug Knocked Up: again, it was a sappy romantic comedy with a few laughs in there to fool the boys, but was sold as a comedy like 40 year old virgin was. nay sir, the house of garret was fooled.
1) Jason Segal full frontal. It's new, edgy, and the coolest thing I'd seen on screen before Colin Farrel blattering a shopkeep.2) Just about any dialogue from Russel Brand- his aloof Britishism is fucking hilarious and well placed around the rest of the cast of Yanks.3)Kenny from 30 Rock ffs, trying to unearth the mysteries of the clitoris. You've been there, hell from all accounts you're still there.Regarding Walk Hard, I agree that it didn't look good, but I was proven wrong having watched it. C'mon, NZA- a piss-take on Cash's Biography with some Ray thrown in? It's practically made for you! Also, he's done so well for himself as a 15 year old father of 3 with no sense of smell.
Check out Walk Hard. Its chock full of quotables. Every single Apatow movie has some kind of love story. You say Knocked Up was a rom com in disguise. You're aboslutely right. I have no problem saying Knocked Up was a rom com because it was. The appeal of Judd Apatows moves is that you can go with your girlfriend and both of you will find something awesome in there. Truly unisex comedies if you will. Same deal with Forgetting Sarah Marshall, its about a guy who tries to get over his girl and ends up finding love blah blah blah, cue Patrick Dempsey and Matthew McConaughey I suppose...wait no?....Jason Segel and Russel Brand you say? Interesting.... I couldn't tell you any quotes off the top of my head but it wasn't a quotable type of movie. I was just laughing my ass off for about two hours.If any of those movies had have been cast with other actors I probably wouldnt have touched them with a ten foot pole. The actors make the movies even if they are rom coms. Plus I'm just loving that laid back style of comedic delivery they seem to have mastered. I'm totally biased though I'll admit. I just love the ever loving shit out of Apatow movies and anyone say different gonna get cut up :blink: and shot too I guess. No knife smiley.
And you didn't ever pay for drugs. Not once.

1) we're celebrating cock-shots now? you need to watch more Harvey Keitel flicks. 2) he was funny a few times, granted. 3) Let me just say that if God was a city planner, he would not put a playground next to a sewage system. alright fucker, you proved your point, but only with Kenneth.

Cock shots in a thinly-veiled romcom is edgy. I'd turn your phrasing back on you. This was a funny as shit movie disguised as a romcom. As shane said- us guys got a laugh and the girls got to swoon and fucking... blush. Idunno. What do girls do when watching romcoms?

wait, i think you're overlapping Forgetting Sarah Marhsall with Knocked Up. FSM was a less evident rom-com, i thought Knocked Up was way too obvious, and again, i guess you could argue that 40 year old virgin was but it was subtle enough to fool my ass, so im kinda salty when i go in expecting one genre and get another 's all.

i only conceded marshall

Okay then, the game stands for Knocked up:

1) Paul Rudd in all his Ruddy charm. The house of Garret and all it's members swoon at the sight of him. Even the cat.

2) Jonah Hill & the supporting cast of Rogan's mates. They were the perverse everymen we all know we are and wish we could be, at least with time to get high & ref intense table tennis games all day.

3)Seth Rogan- he was on fire in this damned movie and there's a reason his stock(alongside Apatow & co.) rose significantly after this movie.

/disagree. as for 3) there's a reason, alright: its the same reason prior years were kinder to Matthew McConaughey and Hugh Grant, though. women watch a lotta movies.

mind you, im not saying Rogan's the next Will Ferrel or something, he still does shit like Superbad and "Like a boss", but when i pay for a sappy romance with a few jokes in it, im basically angry that the reverse never happens: why dont i ever get suckered into a rom-com that ends in lovecraftian horror or another interesting direction? i need more movies like Audition.

See, I don't rate Superbad at all. No movie that's not epic has no bus-- way too many negatives there. Point is: only epic movies get to run over 90 mins. Superbad is what happens when a stand up comedian entertains the shit out of you, then follows you home and tells you jokes until you pitch his dismembered head at the toilet bowl. That movie was so fucking long and boring I still haven't managed to watch all of it.

haha, i like that eipc now = an hour and a half, didnt it used to be 2-3 hours? still, if it was 90 minutes, i guess i didnt notice as much as, say, you & others noticed the length of transformers 2. come to think of it, it did drag on a bit towards the end-like with its resolutions, but im not sure you made it to that part.

Yeah, I've seen the end at a few points when it was on TV every other day and Shane would sit there saucer-eyed, and I've soldiered through about half of it, so there's a stretch from halfway to anything before the last ten minutes in which Seth Rogan could brick on a baby and possibly punch Ryan Seacrest in tthe face and I'm nonethewiser.

Also- you didn't ever pay for Drugs. Not once reply regarding Dewey Cox. You really gotta check that movie out man.*

*edit- especially in light of how well you deal with people making fun of your dead heroes.

Archived