Hondo's Bar

Sonic the Hedgehog 4!

Boogie

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:pinch: Okay, let's try this again.

Man, you know they're not pulling a Megaman 9. This'll be like that Bionic Commando remake they released on Xbox live (not the new buy in stores game, but the crappy redo)

Also, wasn't Sonic and Knuckles supposed to be Sonic the Hedgehog 4?

Nope. They are pulling a Megaman 9. I know, I know, the kneejerk reaction is to be pessimistic. I struggled with the same thing.

While the game is a brand-new adventure, it will definitely pick up after Sonic & Knuckles. However, what you are looking at is the beginning of a new story arc.

LINK!

But it's SEGA, they always promise you the world. They're like Peter Molyneaux, but at least he has the decency to only release games that are at least sub-par.

If they change Eggman's named back to Robotnik then they win a point, ONE POINT, from me in the optimism category.

All true. I've been burned by them on more than one occasion, but I'm like a battered wife. I want to believe that everything's gonna be okay and that Sega is good deep down inside.

I talk the cops out of taking him to jail and he inevitably just pops me in the nose again.

But things are gonna be different this time, he's changed. He's seen the error of his ways. I just know it.

:pinch:

This'll be like that Bionic Commando remake they released on Xbox live (not the new buy in stores game, but the crappy redo)

dgs9ab.jpg

...ok, if the prospect of a Sonic 4 in the vein of the old ones doesnt get you excited, turn in your gamer card, time for a new hobby. yes, sega promises a bit (wait, perter molyneux's infinitely worse), and god i wish Yuji Naka was on board, but theyve gone on record a few times now saying they know this is their chance to get it right, and that teaser is the first step in the right direction in like a decade. cmon.

as ever, GAF has some good info.

14j593s.png

What Was Revealed

- Trailer: http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/acti...o/6249444?hd=1

- Interview: http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/acti...&mode=previews

- Official Site: http://www.sega.com/sonic4/us/index.html

- Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1

- Released July 2010 on XBLA, PSN, and WiiWare

- Likely coming to iPhone / iPod Touch / iPad later as well judging by the "?" platform on the title screen at the end of the trailer

- Picks up right after Sonic 3 & Knuckles as far as story goes (so falls in Sonic 2 / Sonic 3 / Sonic & Knuckles storyline)

- spin dash, power sneakers, and homing attack are in

- Wii version uses motion control, PS3 version uses Sixaxis

- Wii version runs at 480p, PS3 and 360 version run at 1080p

- A screenshot can be found below

What We Already Knew

• 2D
  • 2010 Release
  • A strong possibility of the game being a downloadable title
  • It is NOT a remake
  • Of the following characters, only Sonic is in the game:
    4265851561_c7ba867eea_m.jpg

Trailers and Artwork

Teaser:

Music Sample:

Reveal Trailer: http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/acti...o/6249444?hd=1

Concept Art

4276408701_82bfe71a84_m.jpg 4325445765_6f04476638_m.jpg 4326183302_e0b0b48368_m.jpg 4309916425_bd4308916d_m.jpg

Screenshot:

292n33n.jpg

i3ud1k.jpg

everything about that looks right to me. everything.

Also, wasn't Sonic and Knuckles supposed to be Sonic the Hedgehog 4?

No, Sonic and Knuckles was the expansion pack for Sonic 3 because Sega couldn't get thier shit together and finish Sonic 3 in one go.

I want to see Robotnik with some swining disco ball action in this game and some Metal Sonic would be good to.

On that note Sega should rerelease Sonic CD for XBLA. Now that was a epic game.

dgs9ab.jpg

...ok, if the prospect of a Sonic 4 in the vein of the old ones doesnt get you excited, turn in your gamer card, time for a new hobby. yes, sega promises a bit (wait, perter molyneux's infinitely worse), and god i wish Yuji Naka was on board, but theyve gone on record a few times now saying they know this is their chance to get it right, and that teaser is the first step in the right direction in like a decade. cmon.

as ever, GAF has some good info.

i3ud1k.jpg

everything about that looks right to me. everything.

Bionic Commando, big budget bullshit redo:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/vie...Bionic-Commando

Bionic Commando, updated old-school style X-box Live Redo:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/vie...BLA-Double-Bill

Different games, both bad.

You just have fun drinking that kool-aid then. They can go on record saying that they downloaded Sonic 3 onto the disc and you'll just be playing that, but they'll still find a way to fuck that up.

Also, Peter Molyneux is not worse, Peter Molyneux at least releases games that I can play. He may promise you a cadallac and gives you an oldsmobile, but at least you know the car won't fall apart while you're driving it. SEGA gives you a Homer:

homer-car.gif

Big, ugly, over-complicated, full of delusions of grandeur, and ultimately a seemingly great thing that when revealed turns out to be a horrible horrible piece of shit.

wow. if you're gonna bite yathzee's shtick, you should at least wait till a game's out, you know.

*shrugs* im looking at a small, made-for-PSN/XBL 2D sonic game that's already looking to be about the length of the old-school ones, focusing on the same elements and everything. at worst, this is looking like Mega Man 9: a cash-in on an old property, i.e., what everone's been asking for, for like forever now. i put up everything that's out about it so far, and that's kool-aid drinking. christ, i cant wait for pessimism-chic to go out of style, though for a moment i can at least glimpse why joel gets off so much on "i-told-you'so"s. if this likely $10 game doesnt play like old-school sonic, ill go back to Rush...but the same Sega that the cool kids are bitching at here is a) showing all the right things and b) making some of their best games in recent years since the dreamcast era (House of the Dead Overkill, Valkyria Chronicles, etc). newt's right to be cautions, but to pre-emotively shit on something like this seems a bit much.

as for Bionic Commando XBLA: did you honestly even play it? its the NES game in high def. its what is hoped for in any old-school remake. its hard to control, same way the original was. i spend a bit've time on another game forum with a fair amount of cynical gamers, and its about the only remake universally celebrated. im talking about purist dudes who hated Super Mario All Stars. seriously, think about that.

if you're spoofing yourself on the FF XIII thread here, props. well played. if not, im lost.

wait, so...oh, the changes in Sonic Advance with the green eyes and all that, they just want a palette swap and fatter legs, basically? that's....man, good luck to them with that campain. its up there with the "make diablo 3 look darker" one, which i think blizzard answered by saying "turn down your monitor's gamma".

right, so...ok. i know the vicious Sonic Cycle, and i know im clearly centered in phase 1. im this certain Sega knows how important it is to get this one right, and will do so, that ill put my money where my mouth is.

im betting this will be a fun Sonic game and while not necessarily a return to the good ol' days, will be more well received as the return of Sonic than an abysmal letdown like the others. i challenge anyone to a bet here, and we can either do this monetarily ($20 or under!) or with 1-month custom member titles of the victor's choice. who's feeling up 2 it?

the...the hatin'. you're hating on a arcade title that's not even done yet, and a classic port that (i thought) got universal praise. its like negative nancy day here.

What arcade title isn't done yet? The Bionic Commando thing came out ages ago.

If somebody promises to give me a sandwich if I push a button and they kick me in the balls, I don't push the button anymore. But you, you keep pushing that button hoping that one day that sandwich will be yours. Personally, I think I'll not get kicked in the balls and go push buttons that yield rewards, then if somebody actually does get a sandwich from pushing the button I might come back and try it again.

I'll bet a member's title that this game will be no more than mediocre (and that's the best case scenario)

i meant about this one, not BC remake which im still lost why you hated...?

ok, but you gotta define "mediocre". there's Sonic 1-3 + Knuckles (awesome), Sonic Advance 1-2 (you might say mediocre, some do...i thought them great), and then varying levels of abysmal. which sonic game can be the barometer here (i.e, "it has to at least be better than this one...")?

no way, that game was also great! not a good as 3, but its still a fantastic title! you're setting the bar so high to ensure im doomed!

we should start with Sonic 06 and work our way up. if its better than Sonic & The Secret Rings, i get to uh...arbitrarily change your member title teabag your forum you know, there's a lot for me to lose here and not much to win.