Hondo's Bar

Boxing

The NZA

yeah, professional boxing's a bit on the backburner, what with the heavyweight division looking bare these days, and the rise of TV MMA. still, some interesting shit once in a while in the lower divisions.

Hopkins & Jones to rematch in 2010?

i havent seen Hopkins fight in a while, but from what ive followed of Roy Jones Jr....Jones'd get wrecked here. we'll see.

meantime:

From RTE.ie

Distraught Dunne denied by Poonsawat

Sunday, 27 September 2009 09:31

Bernard Dunne's reign as WBA World Super-Bantamweight champion was ended in dramatic circumstances as the Neilstown man was floored three times in the third round as Thailand's Poonsawat Kratingdaenggym claimed a sensational victory at Dublin's O2, writes RTÉ Sport's Shane Murray.

Dunne boxed to perfection in the opening two rounds as he kept his tricky Thai opponent at distance and seemed well on course to retain his crown.

However, his good start was undone by three left-handers which saw the 29-year-old hit the canvas three times, and the match referee had no choice but to end the fight on the three knockdown rule after 2 minutes 57 seconds of the third round.

Dunne opened impressively as he followed his pre-fight gameplan to keep the Thai at bay by getting in and out quickly with quick left-handed jabs.

Poonsawat looked hungry, agile and was efficient with his punching, but there's no doubt he would have trailed in the judges' scoring at the start of the third round.

However, Dunne's tactics seemed to evaporate in a careless third round in which Poonsawat devastated the Dubliner with a succession of powerful and well-timed punches.

Having recovered from the first knockdown early in the round, a visibly shook Dunne seemed to have overcome the early storm.

But the Thai was not going to let this opportunity pass and Dunne was soon on the canvas again as Poonsawat connected with another heavy left-hander.

Dunne regrouped and bravely got to his feet as the sold out Dublin venue got behind their hero.

However, Poonsawat sensed victory and closed in on Dunne with the bell looming and connected with another devastating left-hander to ensure that the Dubliner's reign as World champion would end after just six months.

Dunne was visibly distraught at the end and, after getting the all-clear from the medical staff, he emotionally apologised for a disappointing display.

The Irish chapter watched that last night, t'was rather dissapointing.

Edited by alive she cried

• 11 months later...

man, i havnet followed since Hopkins, i loved that dude. been catching up on my shit.

Floyd Mayweather Jr is taking shit (and apologized) for some racist stuff he said about Pac-man (Pacquiao - wait, he's a congressman now?!), which i didn't really get, since race & shit-talking are kinda part of the game...but i'd still love to see them fight, fans on both sides say the other backed off a contract, etc...anyway, Floyd got shat on for taking time off & focusing on $/purse over his legacy:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHmCYlIsX5E?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHmCYlIsX5E?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHmCYlIsX5E?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

i get trying to make as much money as possible during your career, but Ra's got a point: having potential and not fighting the best out there is what left me sad about Roy Jones jr in the day. There's not as many big heavyweight names right now, but there's a lotta action on walter/middleweights like this - dude's talking about moving up in weight to fight Sergio Martinez, that'd be about his most exciting one i've seen since De La Hoya.

speaking of, Sugar Shane Mosley's set to fight Sergio Mora in the coming weeks.

• 1 month later...

so yeah, boxing is awesome.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iDlzL7zrNU?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iDlzL7zrNU?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iDlzL7zrNU?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

• 1 month later...

today's fight ended in a one-punch KO...goddamn.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eW18iAnT_I?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eW18iAnT_I?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eW18iAnT_I?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Floyd-Mayweather-Jr-vs-Victor-Ortiz.jpg

Welterweights: Victor Ortiz (29-2-2, 22 KOs) vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr. (41-0, 25 KOs), 12 rounds, for Ortiz's WBC title

• Junior middleweights: Saul "Canelo" Alvarez (37-0-1, 27 KOs) vs. Alfonso Gomez (23-4-2, 12 KOs), 12 rounds, for Alvarez's title (from Los Angeles)

• Junior welterweights: Erik Morales (51-7, 35 KOs) vs. Pablo Cesar Cano (22-0-1, 17 KOs), 12 rounds, for a vacant title

• Junior welterweights: Jessie Vargas (16-0, 9 KOs) vs. Josesito Lopez (29-3, 17 KOs), 10 rounds

of course, im stuck at work on a double-shift, gonna follow this online though. between the recent charge & ducking Pacquiao, i hope Ortiz makes him look like Roy Jones Jr in '03.

floyd-mayweather_ricky-hatton_a.gif

8.gif

..wow. that's following a nasty headbutt from ortiz, so i can kinda see why mayweather didn't give a fuck, but still, kinda cheap all around.

it's weird day when i agree with dana white about anything.

lPZCS.png

damn, even classy in the post-game.

prolly dodging the inevitable pac-man question

okay, so here it is. blatant dirty headbutt attempt @ 13 seconds in, money may gets his revenge @ 0:43. again i can kinda see why he'd be pissed and not give a fuck about another hug (dude could've shattered his jaw or really fucked him up if it'dve landed) but neither party looked really good here, i guess.

bQADl.png

look at that face, wasn't even watching the fight. ref is apparently Cortez, a dude badly in need of retirement.

money-may's post-game talk. i think he's pretty legit here...i gotta admit, he's a prick and an awful person outside of the ring, but he's gotta be top 10 defensive fighters inside. did the perception of the sport no favors last night, but still kinda feels more like Victor's rookie fuckup than just Floyd being a dick Floyd.

next up:

Negotiations between Floyd Mayweather's camp and Amir Khan's American handlers, Golden Boy Promotions, have taken place over the summer to set up Amir Khan versus Mayweather in 2012, when the British fighter steps up from light-welterweight (140lbs) to welterweight (147lbs).

Khan, the World Boxing Association light-welterweight champion, explained: "The defining night of this stage in my career is to get Mayweather in a ring with me. I'm not after Mayweather for the pay day, I'm after him for the glory. I want to be the man remembered in history for taking his unbeaten record away, and want that as part of my legacy.

"He has said he'd like to fight in the UK, and it would be brilliant to have the contest in Britain, with 80,000 in a covered stadium."

continued

MANILA, Philippines – British light-welterweight champion Amir Khan continues to criticize unbeaten American boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr.

In an interview with The Sun, Khan blasted Mayweather for avoiding a fight against him, going so far as to call Mayweather "a chicken."

"In my opinion, Mayweather is a chicken. He is doing everything to avoid me just as he did everything to avoid fighting Manny Pacquiao," Khan said.

Khan and Pacquiao are sparring partners and both are trained by Freddie Roach.

Mayweather, who is set to fight WBC welterweight champion Victor Ortiz on September 17, said in various interviews that Khan will have to defeat Jesse Vargas first before fighting him.

But Khan, who is coming off a knockout victory over Zab Judah, sees this as a tactic to avoid him.

"I don't want to sound cocky or arrogant but I believe the real reason for Mayweather avoiding me is that he knows I have his number. Mayweather knows if he ever fights me, his zero will go," Khan said.

"All Floyd does is pick fights that he knows he will win," Khan added.

"I thought world championship boxing was about proving who is the best, but if he keeps turning his back on me, how can he still say he is the best?" he questioned.

Khan is planning to move up to the welterweight division next year in order to pursue the fight against Mayweather.

He is set to defend his light-welterweight championship on December 10, possibly against mandatory challenger Lamont Peterson. Khan says it will be his last match at the division.

more fun with pics:

2ilzlnd.jpg

x55xfp.jpg

4.gif

2.gif

3.gif

tumblr_lrpgofNCeK1qhaw05o1_400.gif

2gv93dw.jpg

2lsxjyb.jpg

• 2 months later...
Dan Rafael

Breaking: @FloydMayweather & @GoldenBoyBoxing have been told @trboxing won't negotiate Pacquiao-FM in order to pursue 4th fight with Marquez

http://twitter.com/#!/danrafaelespn

source

Floyd Mayweather Jr. aide: No megafight

By Dan Rafael

The latest round of negotiations for the potential megafight between welterweight champions Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. are over before they have even begun.

Leonard Ellerbe, one of Mayweather's advisers, and Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer both told ESPN.com Monday that they were notified that Pacquiao promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank was not interested in coming to the table.

"We have been informed that Bob Arum is not interested in pursuing a fight between Mayweather and Pacquiao at this time," Schaefer said.

Mayweather knocked out Victor Ortiz in his return to the ring after 16 months off in September, and Pacquiao eked out a controversial majority decision against rival Juan Manuel Marquez in their third meeting Saturday night at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

That set the table for the showdown that looms as the biggest money fight in boxing history, especially with Mayweather announcing two weeks ago that he planned to return May 5 at the MGM Grand and, according to Ellerbe, wanted to "make the biggest fight possible and everyone knows what that fight is, the little fella (Pacquiao)."

However, that does not appear to be the plan Arum and Pacquiao have, even if they had said they were open to it before the Marquez fight.

Schaefer said the notification came in an email from retired federal judge Daniel Weinstein, the mediator who has worked closely with the sides to settle numerous lawsuits and issues in recent years.

"I am sick and tired of Bob Arum twisting the truth. It's another case of 'yesterday I was lying, today I'm telling the truth,' " Schaefer said, invoking Arum's most famous quote. "The truth of the matter is that we received this afternoon an email from retired federal judge Daniel Weinstein, who has informed us that Top Rank is pursuing a rematch with Marquez and, therefore, is not interested in immediate talks for a possible Mayweather-Pacquiao fight. This is obviously as clear as it can be that they have no intentions of making a Mayweather-Pacquiao fight. Therefore, Floyd Mayweather will have no other choice than to move on and identify and lock in another opponent for his ring return on May 5."

Schaefer said the plan was to use Weinstein to help them make the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight because he is trusted by both sides and intimately familiar with the problems between the rival promotional companies.

"Judge Weinstein is respected by both parties and mediated issues between Top Rank and Golden Boy before, so the plan was to see if he could help facilitate such a fight. Floyd's team really wanted to get this fight done," Schaefer said. "If you just sit down with Arum, he can at any time have one of his fits, one of his 'f--- you' attacks, and the likelihood that he would have a 'f--- you' attack in front of a retired judge seemed less likely than if Arum and me would be alone in a room."

Arum told ESPN.com that he knew nothing about an email and claimed that nobody from his company had communicated anything about making -- or not making -- a possible Pacquiao-Mayweather fight.

But Arum did say, "We are pursuing a fourth fight with Marquez. As far as doing anything definitively, we aren't ready to do anything definitively. When we are ready to make a determination of what we are going to do, we will do it. We are not going to do this in the press. We will do what is in the best interest of ourselves and our client and make a decision when it's time to. If we decide we want to do a rematch with Marquez, there is no reason to sit down with Mayweather. If we want to explore a Mayweather fight, we will sit down with them. But I'm not going to sit down with them just because it's a good show."

Ellerbe was just as upset as Schaefer was.

[Pacquiao promoter Bob] Arum told ESPN.com that he knew nothing about an email and claimed that nobody from his company had communicated anything about making -- or not making -- a possible Pacquiao-Mayweather fight.

"In my opinion, you have three cowards -- Bob Arum, (Pacquiao trainer) Freddie Roach and Manny Pacquiao," Ellerbe told ESPN.com. "Now we all know the truth once and for all why this fight hasn't been made. It should be clear to everyone that they don't care what the fans want, especially when Floyd is ready, willing and able to fight Manny Pacquiao now. Floyd said if this isn't clear, he doesn't know what is.

"All along we know why the fight isn't being made. This is the perfect opportunity. Both guys just fought. This is the fight the fans want to see, and it's a disgrace that they are not willing to give the fans what they want. In my opinion, there are three reasons why Arum doesn't want the fight. He knows there is no way that Manny Pacquiao can win, it kills his cash cow, and he wants to do in-house fights where he controls both sides. I said all along why this fight hasn't been made to this point. Manny Pacquiao knows, Bob Arum knows and Freddie Roach knows."

Ellerbe said he and Schaefer would begin exploring potential May 5 opponents for Mayweather.

"We have a number of options, and we will evaluate that and give the fans the biggest fight we can give them," he said. "But before we can get started (on a Pacquiao fight), Top Rank doesn't even want to listen. They're not even interested in Floyd Mayweather. They want no part of Floyd Mayweather. They have no interest in the little fella fighting Floyd. Manny Pacquiao needs to stand up, in my opinion, and tell his promoter that he wants to fight Floyd Mayweather next and stop hiding behind his promoter."

Ellerbe said Mayweather (42-0, 26 KOs) did not watch as Pacquiao (54-3-2, 38 KOs) turned in a shaky performance on Saturday night because he was making a paid appearance at a nightclub in Virginia. Mayweather came out of a 21-month retirement in September 2009 and fought Marquez, dropping him in the second round and winning a near-shutout decision, a far more dominating performance than Pacquiao has had against him in any of their three bouts.

Record be damned, this is my new favorite boxer.

I love some of those casual dodges. He reminds me of someone I would hate in Punch Out.

He fights your boy in there. Loses (which he does a lot, I think mostly cuz he just don't give a fuck), but gives him a damn good fight.

Bonus video: Michael Jai White teaches Kimbo Slice how to punch. 0:50 gets me every time.

Drunken Boxer should switch to Muay Thai, if he could throw some knees and elbows and kicks, I think he might fuck some shit up. But if you really look it, that could be a very effective strategy, he seems to be able to dodge quite well, plus you can see when he does some of his dance moves the other boxer is getting pissed off, which could throw them off. I'll have to keep my eye out for this guy if he is still around.

i woudlnt say it's an effective strategy, especially not at higher weight classes, but he pulls it off and logans is right about the Mike Tyson punch-out! quality, wish idve seen more of him. he looks way older than 36 though, huh.

i was gonna clown, but he's fought some real names too. that's sadly not as common in the heavyweights these days.

it honestly couldn't.

i know im watching a video of highlights, and presumably he doesn't do that during most of his fights, but...the form is really bad/open, a defensive fighter like money mayweather would eat him alive for even trying it.

kinda like how rope-a-dope was something that worked for ali in one of his fights with foreman, and you don't see people using it much since. gambits like that work if you're heavily outclassing your opponent, and even then you're not gonna see many professional fighters take the chance. don't get me wrong, id love to see more teleporting hindus and men drinking soda in the ring, but let's not make this video out to be more than it is.

related: you guys would prolly enjoy Prince Naseem.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...