Hondo's Bar

Silent Bob's site - Pimpin' My Work

Silent Bob

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thank god these things aren't for newspapers

That's funny, lots of people work really really hard to make their way into the newspapers and consider it a blessing if they do, and there you are thanking god that you aren't in the newspapers. That's funny :D

You could to sunday strips only. And then since you had to do only one a week instead of three, that would give yout the extra time you'd need to color.

Lots of comic strip have continuous storylines. So'longs you have four panels a day and at the end of each installment it's funny, or thought-provoking, or shocking, or gets some kinda reaction besides the :D whaaaaa...? Just promise me if you get an offer for syndication that you won't turn it down "no matter how much money they try to throw at you."

Nice work on the latest installment. I'm liking this freshman orientation story arc of yours. Good stuff, way better than the chatting online with girlfriend stuff. I have a question. How is time going to progress in your strip? Is Dante always going to be a freshamn? In four years will he graduate. As far as I've seen, there are three different time schemes in comic book/strips:

Static: Season change change and christmas along with birthday will come and go a hundred times, but the character's ages stay the same. Generally speaking, there are no major life changes, no one get fired or promoted (unless they get rehired to the same job at the end of a story arc), no major characters die or are born, etc. ex: Peanuts, Simpsons, Calvin and Hobbes.

Real: Kids are born adn grow up, character progress, etc. ex: For Better Or Worse, Baby Blues.

Ratio: Time prgresses, but more slowly. A series might go on for fifty years and the characters that were teenagers in the fifties will be in there mid-tweinties in the twenty-first century. Allows for being able to do lots of material on certain stages in life but still have forward momentum. ex: Spider-Man, Blondie.

So which is it gonna be?

I'm shooting for the second one. If I can manage to keep this going for a year, then the second "season" will be a second school year. You'll see any physical changes the characters went through during the summer, and I'm hopin' there'll be quite a few actual character developmental changes, too. At least as much as is possible with somethin' as simplified and cartooney as this. If the comic actually becomes somewhat popular, and is still around after 4 years, I'm not sure what I'll do. I toyed with a high school spin-off (I went to a private Baptist-run high school...lotsa material, there) or maybe showin' DJ entering the job market...I dunno...'s a while away.

Well, if 10,000 people were reading everyday, I wouldn't care about making money off it. I'm just saying, if NOBODY was reading, what would be the point of doing it? It'd be better if I spent all that time doing something that did make me money.

That's where you're wrong. There are a finite amount of ideas in the world and all but about three or four have all been thought of long before. What you might be able to manage is coming up with one of the better of the infinite variations or appropriation for an idea or combining two or more old ideas in a new way. That's all you can hope for.