Hondo's Bar

Ultimate Comics

The NZA

392px-FullULTUHB002_COV_col.jpg

note: more than half of these characters are now dead.

I thought we should have a new topic for "Ultimate Comics", the sort-of relaunch after the mess that was Ultimatum. New lineups, half of NY/the x-men are dead, etc.

Ultimatecomicsspiderman.jpg

Ultimate Spider-Man is great as ever, 4 or so issues in and its Bendis and new artist Lafuente...current arc's on the relaunch Mysterio and Bendis' challenge to not make him lame (its going alright so far). That cover is not doing the regular art justice, though Peter does now look even younger than when Bagley drew him.

Ultimatecomicsavengers.jpg

Ultimate Avengers is solid enough to make you (almost) forget about Utlimates vol 3.

Millar's back, with Carlos Pacheco (not Hitch, but he's good. Plus, next arc's supposed to be Lenil Francis Yu, i like that guy). If you wanna know:

Cap found out he had a bastard son hidden from him, and its the Red Skull (who can kick his ass 10 ways to sunday) so he went rogue, halfway-criminalized Fury is back with a black-ops team of the surviving Avengers to reel him in.

its all going well so far. Next up, though, we have some preview art for Ultimate Comics X-Men, which again is in the wake of too many characters to name, but the big one is :cry: . yeah, you know he cant stay dead, but im still not sure what im looking at:

ultx1.jpg

what is this i dont even

...yeah. you want even weirder? its Loeb (*sigh*) and Art freakin Adams, a really classic comics artist. which is to say, this could very easily be the best looking piece of weird crap marvel puts out, and i really hope to be wrong abotu the latter part.

come to think of it...i really hope that's Ultimate Mimic or something.

*edit: solicit says...

Who—or what—is Ultimate X? The answers and even more secrets arrive in the all new ULTIMATE X ongoing bi-monthly series from the superstar dream team of JEPH LOEB and ART ADAMS. Wolverine is dead. Captain America is a fugitive. The Fantastic Four disbanded. Lives have been destroyed and nothing can ever be the same—is there any hope left? It all begins with a search for a brand new character whose identity will leave jaws on the floor and change the Ultimate Universe forever.

on the upside, i now know what the comic i wanted to do about myself in high school wouldve looked like if i could draw worth a fuck

Art Adams, eh? That's pretty cool. Loeb...not so cool.

The only one of these I've read is Spidey, and Mysterio is definitely at his least-lame. Kitty Pryde is in that too so I'm sure a new X-Men team will be cobbled together shortly.

That cover could be Ultimate Rogue, right? I don't remember her dying and she could be all hyped up on Banshee, so she could call on any absorbed powers at will. Just an idea, albeit a stupid one.

I have every Ultimate comic *co-scan-ugh* up til about late '08. I gotta start catching up again, also I just ruined a lot stuff reading this thread. i suggest more spoiler tags people. Oh and my money's on Logan jr.

So they're relaunching everything? Starting afresh or what?

Edited by alive she cried

honestly? you left at a good time.

Ultimate X-Men fizzled out, i dropped Ultimate FF, Ultimates vol 3 was horrendous, only Ultimate Spidey stayed alright. do yourself a favor and either read the wiki on Ultimatum or check it out for the sheer trainwreck joy that it can be, its a new kind of awful (why does Loeb hate Marvel so?).

long story short: shit went south, lotta people died, this is like a new start...same universe, just fast forward a year or so.

I have every Ultimate comic *co-scan-ugh* up til about late '08. I gotta start catching up again, also I just ruined a lot stuff reading this thread. i suggest more spoiler tags people. Oh and my money's on Logan jr.

So they're relaunching everything? Starting afresh or what?

I was gonna say that, but the claw configuration is wrong for Ultimate Daken. Not that that means anything these days, and it could totally be some other bastard offspring.

little tall/butch to be rogue, no? anyway, no more stupid an idea than anything i can think of, really. i seriously hope we're looking at ultimate mimic.

I meant to add that it wouldn't be inconceivable for her to have absorbed some shape shifting power. And you're wrong, it's way more stupid than many you can think of.

• 4 weeks later...

Any theories on who the hooded figure that saves Mary Jane is in the newest Ultimate Spider-Man?

I'm leaning towards Kitty Pryde, simply because of the taking of two bullets in the face without flinching bit and she seemed all frowny about being illegal last ish.

The holes in this theory involve punching out a windshield.

2. or the arm fucking grew back a body due to the healing factor. (it's Loeb so I wouldn't put it past him.)

That actually sounds pretty feasible especially, as you say, because this is Loeb. There's a lot of fun that could be had with an asexual wolverine.

Or maybe Wolverine has a vagina and this is the love child of him and Steve Rogers.

In defense of NZA's Ultimate Mimic theory, he could totally be hiding wings under that backpack.

Edited by Thelogan Prime

2. or the arm fucking grew back a body due to the healing factor. (it's Loeb so I wouldn't put it past him.)

wait, i read that story before, and it was awful.

as for the red hooded figure...you might be right, logans. a lotta street vigilantes that spidey teamed up with before are missing though

(still cant believe Daredevil's supposed to be dead...)

, so it could be Iron Fist, Moon Knight etc? anyone but Shang Chi, that douche was a villain when last we saw him.

• 4 weeks later...

eh, you're not wrong (in that it invokes the kinda sci-fi that feels more at home with say, the FF than what the Ultimates have gone for...past the mysticism of norse gods that even Millar tried to downplay), but the thing is...the cube is so integrated into Cap's classic tales with the Skull that its more a pulp symbol of the older days for me. plus, we just barely got introduced to it, so im interested to see what take Millar has for it...its the very definition of a deus ex device, and after his FF run, im woefully uncertain if Millar has the strength to not use it as a band-aid at a messy/violent story's end.

but for example, the short bit of the AIM (or was it hydra?) guys on about deciding which philosophy to run their brave new world with, you know shit like that intrigues me...especially since its deep-sixed fast enough for millar to not have time to flesh it out & potentially fuck it up. in Red Skull jr's obviously nihilistic hands, its kinda a moot point.

So I wrapped up Ultimate Spiderman Vol. 1, skipped over a lot of #80 or so onward, stopping only to read the Deadpool arc and the Clone Saga. Gotta say, Ultimate Clone saga was a hell of a trip. Seeing all those clones, especially the one we thought was

Richard Parker

, considering Ultimate continuity I was genuinely unsure as to who was real or otherwise. And Aunt May

finding out his identity?

insanity.

After that, I breezed on through the Immomen stuff because despite liking his style, I hate the shit out of him for some forgotten reason.

So reading Ultimate Xmen right now I got a hot tip for y'all- whoever Ultimate X is, guaranteed he's the same mystery figure that turned up in Ultimate Xmen pretending to or being Wolverine. Makes sense that Ultimate 'Cable' is from 30 years or thereabouts in the future, a Wolverine retrofitted from the discarded arm probably wouldn't have the healing factor...

Only problem with this theory is I'm not up on Ultimate Xmen so maybe this has already been addressed.

I'm still reading Kirkman's shitty-arsed run somewhere in the mid-seventies. From here it makes sense to me, you obviously know more. when you say you're unsure who I mean though, we were just discussing Ultiamte Cable the other day. I'm sayng he's probably this new Ultimate X character.

No, I'm thinking this Ultimate X is something engineered from Wolvie's arm(based on a remark CVable makes- dunno if Kirkman was planting seeds or if Loeb just ran with it- was something along the lines of 'you see the claws on this arm? Well they weren't throwing that shit away now were they?'), that in the future will become Cable as we meet him in Ult Xmen.

Just because it comes from Wolverine's arm doesn't make it Wolverine