Hondo's Bar

Best Epic Series

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Alright folks, this one oughta start some shit.

Most kids our age go for Star Wars, which series do ya think is the better, and why? Bear in mind, all of em are, as yet, unfinished - with the exception of the Matrix, we know where SW & LOTR are going, but havent seen it quite yet. Which is your favorite, which are ya most lookin forward to seein, and why?

Me, im prolly solo here, but its The Matrix for me. I watch Star Wars for the bushido-like Jedi stuff, the plot's great but pacing isnt always strong (like episode I) and dialogue is often horrible, but again the overall plot's a classic for a reason. :D

Lord of the Rings...i didnt finish much of the books, honestly, but the movies look promising. Artisticcartoon sadly overhyped it, but the fans claim it was faithful, and this really feels like the archetypal fantasy journey/story, as it should: it set the bar.

The Matrix, however, has it all, for me - hints at strong elements of philosophy, great deal of style, excellent storytelling, amazing technological shots of well-choreographed action (Wu Ping i believe, with John Woo-esque gunwork), etc. Even lesser actors (outside of Morpheus) do a great job; i seriously cant wait for the next 2.

So how bout the rest of ya?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I was saying...

I got beef with all of them. Star Wars...well...we've all seen what's happened to Star Wars. Ah, remember that witty snappy dialogue and quick pacing in, say, Empire? That's missed, inn't? And Star Trek? Hell no, only the even movies are any good, and with 10 movies, now, that's not a good count. Lord of the Rings, while great, seems to be a little too self-conscious in its epic-ness. With books, that can be fine, but in a movie doesn't it start seeming juuust a little too contrived that all they do is run around and meet and kill new and interesting creatures all the time, that happen to be between these people and their ultimate "epic" goal? Hey, I'm not looking for realism, or anything, but I've always found it a bit odd that the road to Mt. Doom seems to go through every fascinating and dangerous place in Middle Earth - an each place is completely different from the last. And oh yeah, the Matrix. I'm not so sure what's so incredibly amazing about the Matrix? Is it just because we're so unused to having an action movie with an intelligent plot? 'S all it is, to me. Just a smarter action movie. I thought the philosophical elements could have been handled...uh...a lot more philosophically? These are friggin' deep subjects, but the movie doesn't seem to weigh on them except the occasional breathers in between kung fu fighting (where everyone actually IS fast as lightning). I thought Dark City did a better job with pretty similar subject matter.

Anyway, my pick for best epic series? Uh...Back to the Future. Hey, I think that's pretty fuckin' epic!

Bob - cmon now, put down the liqour before your next review! :D

Lord of the Rings - christ, the books're huge, you really want them just runnin around Middle Earth, fussin bout how mundane things are? It has to be lively, it's an epic!

Again, with Matrix, it touches on some deep ideas. Any luck at all, itll expand a bit in the next few, but it wasnt just a smart action flick (a la The Professional), it was a really smart one that made the basics of some complicated ideas very approachable. Cant ask for much more'n that unelss its a more philosophical movie, such as Waking Life. Plot & pacing were great, and it oozed style..

Dark City's a good flick that deserves a lot more credit than it got, but i really dont see how that connects with this one in this regard.

Back to the Future? I take it back, you aint drinkin at all. :smoker: :weed:

is this a fight or a movie poll cause we have a movie section outside of fight club so does this fit here let me know what you think primetime on either account fuck luc-ass go anything else and especially the unpopular vote.-

[completely ignoring arc's stupid ass commentary]IC, you said only the Martix is finished. LOTR rings is finished too. All three films were finished being shot before the first one was released. Anyway, I'm starting to read the LOTR (never did get around to it til now). I definitily think The Matrix and the LOTR has a damn good chance of finishing up as perfect series (series of movies without anythign so bad that you really don't like it or think it doesn't fit in with the rest). Star Wars was a little less than perfect with ROTJ's ewoks (I didn't hate them as much as some did, but I'm not a fan either), but Epi1 screwed it over. Star Trek, I agree about the even ones (First Contact was badass, haven't seen Insurrection). And I also argee with IC about Bob's harsh tone towards The Matrix. Is was fucking cool and it was fucking smart, SMART, not smarter than most, or only looked smart because most action movies are so stupid, it was smart. So I'm voting for the Matrix just to spite Matrix-bashing fools...and Bob usually has just cooler opinions.[/completely ignoring arc's stupid ass commentary]

And I wasn't saying the Matrix was a bad movie. I liked it. And I'll probably be there opening night, when the next two come out, just like the rest've you. I'm just saying I think it gets a little too much credit, sometimes. I thought it opted for really cool action scenes, instead of occasionally giving the philosophical parts more time to develop. But that was back when it was one movie. Now that it's written as a trilogy, it could very well go deeper into those issues and blow me away. Hence me still going on opening night.

Oh, and I offered Dark City not as an epic, but as an example of a movie that I thought treated the "matrix" subject matter more seriously (and more realistically, if possible). But then, again, Dark City didn't have any kickass action scenes, so it's not as exciting a movie. So it certainly isn't flawless, either.

Well, supposedly it was always meant to be a trilogy, but the Trilogy wasn't greenlighted til a while after the movie was a success. Guess things were different back in the olden days of film (1999), when movie didn't get sign for sequel until they were releases and became successes and were actually good. But maybe I'm beign to critical, good luck to the Snow Dogs Trilogy and the XXX Trilogy.

Hey, somebody's got to remind y'all. This is not somethign to be taken lightly and forgotten. The apocalyse is coming! That in mind, tkae Kevin Nelean's advice: "Live every day like it's your last! Wake up, spend about 3 hours of the phone making arrangements with the mortican, and then sit around your house and just wait."

Jack's - I know, both LOTR & Matrix are done but ya know what i mean, i aint see past the first part of either one yet, shouldnt judge completely i guess.

Was Episode I so bad? Ok, pacing, dialouge, and Jar Jar aside...bah nevermind i aint defendin it. II was really cool tho, i thought.

arc - Yeah maybe this belongs in movies, just wanted another cool poll down here, and epic movies involve a lotta fights...yeah, its a strecth i know.

I just realized this, The Neverendign Story isn't on here. That was epic as hell. I hated Part 2 and I refuse to watch Part 3, I even heard there was a TV series (shudder), but Part 1 was awesome and more epic than all the rest of these put together. The Neverending Story in one movie rules the world of epicness. How could I have forgotten TNES yesterday?!

o so i'm ignoring you too look look look.... did someone say something nick did you type something just now it's as if there was just a blank space was placed between your last post and mine.-

Well, I suppose in a way there ws no way I couldn't be joking just a bit, but I love that movie! I watched it on video all the time when I was like 6. And what greater enemy has there ever been than The Nothing? Darth Vader? The Emperor? The Kilgons? The Borg? Saruman? The Matrix is the only one that comes close, but it is still nothing next to The Nothing.

Found this while surfing around. See which LOTR character you are.

Yes, but theyre not epic! Cmon, theyre 80's comedies, i love em & Fox too, but lets stay on track here people, the battle's about Star Wars, Lord of the Rings & Matrix. :(

PS im surprised no one's mentioned Beastmaster yet, i enjoyed the first one (rest was shit). Conan might make it into trilogy if ya consider Red Sonya as a part of it...