Hondo's Bar

New subforum

Boogie

I was thinking and the thing is most of you, as you know, like comics. And now im talking about the american ones. I move forward with a motion to create a sub forum in the fastactic forum wich is about manga. Only because its not getting the attention that it needs and #2 because im tired of looking in over 20 pages for some topic.

what do you think guys?

How much traffic do you anticipate it to get, Boogie? Not being facetious for a change, but there's a probable reason you're searching 20 pages to find a topic. Logan's pretty right that a comic's a comic's a comic, and it'll get discussed one way or the other. Makes sense not to draw false lines.

Good to have you back though man. :muahaha:

I couldnt agree more. A comic is a comic. My main reason was to get more people to participate in those topics by being more easy to find. BUT i guess that the manga related threads are less popular for a reason... :muahaha:

Well now I just feel like a dick. We could pin an all-purpose manga topic for you if you like?

Well, dont Jay.

I dont have nearly enough time (and money) in my day to read all that i want to (comics), play games, be with Alex and Maria, watch movies and series, work, etc... So, I choose what to read and what not. Sadly, when the choice its done, Spidey, Bats, Daredevil and the rest of them are left aside... Im sure that if I lived near to you, i could lend you some mangas and you would be a little more into it. But, thanks for all the love.

The Consensus agrees that a pinned manga topic may cure all that ails yeh. Link me to any relevant threads you want included, what we can do is pin the thread for general news, and include/add any links to threads you may want to keep an eye on in the original post.

• 2 years later...

:Hijack:

Cuz it has a relevant title.

For me, subforums should exist for things that don't comfortably have a home elsewhere. There has been quite a clamor lately for a History subforum, and it sounds pretty valid. There just doesn't seem to be a good place for history stuff.

I just thought of another one: Stand Up Comedy. It's not really movies or TV. We have a couple of catch-all threads, but it would be a lot cooler to have a subforum with individual threads devoted to comedians.

What do the people think of these?

I like that. I was confused why standup was featured in the culture & sociology forum. I get why, but that isn't the first place I'd go looking for that. Plus it's a nice place to make a thread about one person, load it with skits from them, and watching funny stuff we may not get a chance to find otherwise.

Plus it's a nice place to make a thread about one person, load it with skits from them, and watching funny stuff we may not get a chance to find otherwise.

Exactly.

Stand up is one of my passions, and I hate just putting it in what's essentially a blargh.

And yeah, it gets shoehorned into culture where it barely belongs. It's understandable, because there isn't a nice clean place to put it. But there should be.

They are the definition of comics.

You're the guy who doesn't even think they're art. Your opinion is invalid.

Try this: start a manga thread. Talk about it with two or three other people.

Subforums should exist for things that don't comfortably fit elsewhere. manga fits in comics.

I don't think they are art? When did I state that? Or are you going by my own definitions of what is and isn't art? Cause yeah by that definition they aren't, but I am not stupid enough to argue they aren't art, because they are.

Also I misunderstood subforum and just equated it to starting a new thread. I was confused as to why we couldn't make a Manga thread, but I get the difference now hehe.

So yeah, there isn't enough interest here for a complete sub-forum on Manga. But start a thread and I'll join in.

Games still aren't art to me. Neither are movies or books, even comics.

Yeah, subforums are thing like The Grill and Men of Action (figures).

I'm pretty sure there are already several manga threads. I know there's a Berzerk one and a couple of others. Here's one just called "Manga" that hasn't been bumped in a decade.

http://www.hondosbar.com/forum/index.php?/topic/943-manga/

A lot of us read it, and new recommendations are always welcome. I'm sure the generic thread would work well if you didn't want to start new ones.

I did say that didn't I? I think I was doing that so no one could loophole me into agreeing that video games were art. Books as art, well I guess Literature in general as art, is hard to clarify to me, because they are meant as something else. Even though they may be artistic, it is hard for me to look at a book as art.

I'll recant on the comic aren't art part though. I guess the point I am trying to make is either they are art or they are something else, they can't (imo) be both. Not to say art can't have a purpose, but you could arguably promote ANYTHING as art if you dig deep enough.

Back to the subject at hand...NZA read manga at one point?? And good manga at that...I am suprised. Didn't think he was the type. But I guess since there is a Manga thread that already exists it would be best to just post there and get it going again.

i see no need for more sub-forums. Honestly at this point in the forums growth and magnitude of different posters there is one forum I'd like to see permanently integrated into another main forum. the Powder Room. it's not just about girls or women or whatever, and while it's fun having a forum just for girls, it's almost redundant and counter productive to the overall flow of the forums. The powder room is welcomed by all members and all members are encouraged to participate both in jest and in seriousness. the sports forum and other otherwise "manly" forums are treated just the same, so why segregate male from female at this point? the powder room should go under (as in permanently merged) Culture/Sociology, in it's whole as it affects both the male and female aspect of the forum.

if anyone sees any need to ad more subforums, then by all means, go for it. The majority of our entertainment goes under the guise of pop culture/entertainment comics/games and so on. there's a thread for an interest and if the interest gets that big and you REALLY FEEL you need a place to call your own in a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT forum then more power to you. I personally feel if a thread about a certain subject gets bigger than the main forum topic (which is why you see crap shack and all it's glory) then it should be considered as a candidate for a separate forum. you don't want to confuse new members, you don't need more mods, most of us are pretty well behaved, and those posters who have been around long enough to know what's what are more than happy to show new members where to go if they need guidance.

All this being said, i have not confided with either my co-mods (I LOVE YOU AARTY!!!) or NZA about my feelings about the powder room until now, and I'd love to hear what others think in an open discussion.

I only think it gets confusing to new members when they have vague names. And, indeed, there are several that probably have no reason to exist.

But there are others that serve a specific purpose, because there is nowhere else for their content to go.

I'll break it down, as I see it:

Unnecessary

The Sanctuary - Religious talk is just philosophical talk. And most people just put any threads on the subject in Philosophy anyway.

The Powder Room - Wouldn't most of these "woman things" just be Culture, Politics or even Art? That subforum always seemed very masturbatory to me.

The Lyricist's Lounge - What is this? I don't even... Just do your bi-annual rap battles in Music. No matter how many times you yell "NAH MAN! THAT SUBFORUM IS A GREAT IDEA!" it's still the definition of a failure and a complete waste.

Necessary

The Grill - Where else are you going to put talk about food? It doesn't comfortably fit anywhere else.

Men of Action (Figures) (stupid name) - Where else are you going to put talk about Collectibles and Non-Video Gaming? It doesn't fit anywhere else. I do resent that it's in the Comic Book forum, as I see absolutely no correlation whatsoever, besides the fact that shops will frequently try to cater to the same sort of inverted deviant. Which does nothing for the stereotype, and it makes it really annoying to recommend good comics to "normal" people. You show me a comic book store with a wide selection of toys and games, and I'll show you a shitty comic book store.

hon(DOS) - We need a place for PC talk, but I think it should be over in Science (probably about time to change that name back, too. ICP one liners have gone the way of Charlie Sheen).

I don't care about the ones in Crap Shack. It's Crap Shack, do as you please.

Now, following that same logic, where should we put stand-up comedy? There's a reason I personally don't post more of it, and that's because it has nowhere to go. There's a "favorite stand up" thread in...culture? That's about it. And what if they aren't your favorite?

i figure Hon-Dos belongs because for some of us our game console of choice is our PC, and Sony and Microsoft will more than likely make more PC like consoles in the future.

As for religion- i ain't touching that one. I'm an atheist so all that religion stuff can stay in there. haha.

never been to The Lyricist's Lounge (yeah....what?) not sure what it does. It's like...an appendix?

as for "woman things" being in art...no. no. no. culture.

that's like saying lets put comics in art because there's drawings in it.

Archived