Hondo's Bar

Forum Consolidation

The NZA

Here's what i'd do:  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

ok, i kinda got a feel for this in another thread, wanted to put it to a poll and get specifics. MH, Ly and aarty (i believe) argued that we're not too cluttered, there's enough room for all of them and that somehow there's no overlapping. I wanted to see if this was the pervading mentality - ive always had varying noobs tell me the # is a bit off-putting, and even with my work to clarify/segment out what each corner stands for (and the magic of the F.A.Q. :cool: ) its still unclear.

to that end, Haku mentioned the possibility of Town Square & Pubs merging, which ive thrown around and wanted to see about it here. Further, he proposed some subforums could go - i.e., for topics in economics, denote them with a $ instead of a smiley icon, and toss them back into politics proper. Jumbie, for one, as said for years that subforums are "forum ghettos" that get no/far fewer views, which sorta depends on how you browse the site, i think.

vote, and post your thoughts.

Hhmmm... Crap shack & Fight Club eat Pimp Hand(hot chicks in one, everything else in the otehr with maybe a flash finds/MEME subforum?). Problem there is, CS already has two subs and I don't wanna see HondosInc vanish.

Never heard the Pubs/TS move though.

again, i forget what thread we were on about this recently, i know it was this forum. Chris was onto something though: unless we denote Town Square as just birthdays or something, its the same kinda general chit-chat/barside hangout the pubs create, so they could be kinda merged that way.

you're saying hot chicks goes to FC/no maam, all the links in PH go to the shack, yeah? i think that's how youve sold it in the past, ive been thinking its not a bad idea but again, the Hand has supporters apparently. and yeah, im leaving Hondos Inc as a sort've time capsule, been debating doing the same with the Lyricist Lounge at this point.

also: which subforums would you guys merge back in? Id say The Powder Room and The Sanctuary have fair claim on their territories, you kids like The Grill for some reason, Economics and a few others could likely fold in though. i collapsed both Syndrome and Debate Hall and no one really noticed. ive given some thought to the Hon(DOS)/tech/gadget forum existing on its own, it gets some support, moreso than the Hobby one anyway.

yeah, see, a bar in a bar felt like some weird moebius loop. i was alright with pubs, but saloon wouldve been great, too. i think pubs came out of the irish/UK influx the early preacher days brought.

weird how these things come up later. like, when we first drew up the "drinks & whores", we also had a "drinks & discussion". def suggested drinks & parley, and i shot that down before looking up the word. it woulda worked fine.

early voting shows a strange love for Pimp Hand, desire to see the pubs eaten, and not much sub-forum love so far.

I see absolutely no reason for sub-forums not to exist. They offer something more specific if the need arises.

If you listen to Haku, he'd be happy with a single long list of threads because all the categorization makes thing "too compwicated". I say that muthfucka just learns how to click "Todays Active Topics" and quits his bitchin'.

Pimp Hand is one of the only forums that is pretty vague for me. I don't know what should be Pimped and what should be Shacked sometimes.

I say we need something for general sexiness, not sure Fight Club would be the best spot for this. All the random flash finds and memes could totally find homes in Crap Shack or the pubs or summink.

wow, you guys really love Pimp Hand. i have no idea why.

again, its just memes and funny links, past the hot chicks thread. that's pretty much all that's there. half of you even say you're not entirely sure what to put there and what goes in the shack. it wouldnt be such a thing for me if it had a clear purpose like the other forums do, but its a relic of the Drunken Deities days when we had like 4-5 forums and they were just giant corners for somewhat related things...i cant even make the distinction for it most times.

more of you seem to be for Town Square eating the pubs, though....i just know ill catch shit if and when SuperE, SoF and such come around after doing so, so ill hold out for more votes, but again, do like the idea of having one general chat/rants/etc forum, what with all the others being mostly topical.

boo that'd get rid of your awesome skin

do you just mean in name, or wha? like, merge & rename Town Square to be the Pubs? either way, the Grill'd get moved down. as no one's defending their precious PH with words, ima make Crap Shack the home of like 4 subforums: Ask, Hondos Inc (time capsule!), Grill and Pimp Hand. :mad:

I agree w/ the MH. Combine Pubs/TS. Name it "Pubs" and move it to the top o' the page.

I see absolutely no reason for sub-forums not to exist. They offer something more specific if the need arises.

If you listen to Haku, he'd be happy with a single long list of threads because all the categorization makes thing "too compwicated". I say that muthfucka just learns how to click "Todays Active Topics" and quits his bitchin'.

Pimp Hand is one of the only forums that is pretty vague for me. I don't know what should be Pimped and what should be Shacked sometimes.

I say we need something for general sexiness, not sure Fight Club would be the best spot for this. All the random flash finds and memes could totally find homes in Crap Shack or the pubs or summink.

I say Thrizzlogan gives up trying to suck his own dick cuz it just ain't happening. Just be content w/ the fact Pedro slips you a handy every now and again and save yer neck the strain. It's kept baytor's neck ache free for so long, so why not just save money on the chiropractor visits and call it a day, good sir? Do it for the children!

I agree w/ the MH. Combine Pubs/TS. Name it "Pubs" and move it to the top o' the page.

What he said :mad:

But NOOOO I love Pimp Hand so hard :( It must stay as it is! I mean, hell, feel free to shack threads that you don't feel belong there, but Pimp Hand is one of my favorite parts of the board.

Alright...my idea for fixing the ambiguity of Pimp Hand actually makes things more complicated, but fuckit. Here we go.

It seems to me like we need somewhere for sexiness and somewhere for internet nonsense which doesn't deserve to be classified as crap. So we split up Pimp Hand, maybe keep the sexiness there and move the memes/YTMND/flash stuff to an internet nonsense forum (Internonsense?).

my god. you just answered my question of "how do i narrow this place down/make it less cluttered" with "make another forum". this must be some kind of eastern riddle.

argh, i have empty votes for the pimp hand and not one attempt at justifying what its supposed to stand for that separates it from the Shack.

the countodwn to its sub-foruming begins. also, if Town Square eats/becomes the new Pubs, im considering moving blargh to PH, no reason for it to arbitrarily own the topmost forum.

well yeah, that's a start. but say..links to funny/gross humor go in the giant NSFW forum, and "safer" ones go in the Hand, then? some people value some of the threads in the shack

yeah i dont know why either

but then, we could have memes, YTMND and such links in town square too then, right? theyre kinda general...any thread on anything you like is meant to pimp it and not be crap

unless its in politics where you clearly put it out there just to yell/encourage others to yell at you

we're getting somewhere on nailing it down, though.

Yeah I'm for Town Square eating the pubs, but think Crap Shack and Pimp Hand should remain seperate, simply because the Pimp Hand has alot od stuff that just isn't....well...crap.

Pimp Hand is stuff you wanna pimp out that isn't "shit" aka crap.

edit - stuff that you feel deeply about whether it be a humorous or funny level, what have you.

MH and I are spot on.

swear to god, i oughta make a topic on subjectivity in philosophy around the concept of "what is crap around here to you?", the shack would be huge

let's try this another way, then. what could be added to the pimp hand to give it another dimension past, you know, titties, flash files and memes? taking the hondonian pics and such outta there give it a lot less purpose, in hindsight. but yeah, something else to hitch to it/define it by past "things which arent crap."

huge, huge bonus points if you can answer this question by consolidating another forum/subforum in the process.

That's a hard question... Pimp Hand is filled with such a variety of things that it's hard to place it in another part of the board (save for the shack). If you really wanna get rid of it, you should comb through individually (I could help...) and place each thread where you think it belongs.

:(

i do, but the active love being shown for it here gives me pause. i guess id rather just redefine/kinda outline what its about to separate it, or just make it a subby of the shack at worst at this point. i wanted a more concise front page, not to go against the continuity/will of the group here, its always nice to threaten things and see they're quietly valued, heh.

Archived