Hondo's Bar

True Grit

onoz_omg2.gif

what is this i dont even

True Grit is an upcoming 2010 Western film, written and directed by the Coen Brothers and starring Jeff Bridges, Josh Brolin and Matt Damon. The film is an adapation of the novel by Charles Portis which itself was filmed in 1969. The film is currently in pre-production and is set to start filming in March 2010 with a release on Christmas Day, 2010.

Jeff Bridges will play Reuben J. “Rooster” Cogburn, who was originally played by John Wayne in the 1969 film who won the Academy Award for Best Actor for his performance.

Lebowski is Cogburn?

Finkle is Einhorn!?

:sarcasm: If I were sitting next to you I believe I would cuff you across the face with a shoe. I will explain this, as I have to both IMDb and CHUD morons alike, the Coen Brothers are NOT remaking True Grit, they are making a movie based on the book. This movie will take nothing from the John Wayne film that already ruined itself by having a sequel. This movie is going to be more true to the book, from what I understand Bridges is much better cast than Wayne was.

... from what I understand Bridges is much better cast than Wayne was.

oh_no_you_didnt.gif

NZA, calm down, man. Bayto's still a boy in many ways and does not know of what he speaks. Take a deep breath. Put down the shotgun and cancel the flight to TX. However, he is right in that it will not be a remake of the John Wayne CLASSIC, but rather a film based on the book. The Cohen's claim it will be more faithful to the novel than the Wayne CLASSIC. So, chill, man. Chill.

This movie will take nothing from the John Wayne film that already ruined itself by having a sequel.

This movie is going to be more true to the book, from what I understand Bridges is much better cast than Wayne was.

i see what you're trying to do here. you're trying to say dumber more controversial shit to downplay the fact that you dropped the ball and no one here was talking about this.

moving on: the original True Grit was great, except for all those bits with the little girl. she was awful.

haku: this is why i drink

Yes, because it's not a well known fact that John Wayne, especially later in his career, was pretty much casted him for any role that involved a cowboy hat (and The Conqueror), this understanding is brought to me from people who have read the book where the character may have been different than John played him, I'm not sure as I've been unable to find a copy yet.

There's also this:

wait, to view, or to own?

True Grit - ok, having seen it a handful of times now, its not his best, didnt deserve the oscar. but there's one scene - you'll know it - that makes it worth the price of entry, even if the little girl is annoying as shit.

That's from a PM YOU sent me, so stop pretending you think it's amazing when you think it was only okay. :sarcasm:

touche, your dirty little shit

i stand by those words; its not oscar-worthy, The Shootist was. still, you didnt like Rooster Cogburn & the Lady? lemme ask you: did you dig Two Mules for Sister Sarah?

im reserving judgment on the other bit; Bridges is good and could be great here. you might be splitting hairs on the use of "remake" though...did you consider the TV edition of The Shining with that dude from Wings a remake, or a retelling or wha? ive no doubt - even without reading the book - that the Duke got up there & played the Duke.

that doesnt make you any less crazy.

Well if you read my post carefully, you'll see that I said that the sequel: Rooster Cogburn, ruined True Grit, not that True Grit ruined itself. I did like Two Mules For Sister Sarah, yes but if it had been a sequel to Joe Kidd I probably wouldn't have.

True Grit was a good movie, it was a classic, but I'm not quite sure I'd consider it a classic with caps lock on (then again Haku thinks Once Upon a Time in the West is a bad movie and that Twins is a noteworthy comedy, so what the fuck does he know) it's good but it's never going to approach the levels of things like The Cowboys, The Searchers, or Rio Bravo. It's more Angel and the Badman grade stuff.

For a movie to be a remake it has to use something, anything, from the original movie. The Thing counts because of one scene, to the best of my knowledge Mick Garris' The Shining took nothing from Kubrick's version that wasn't in the book so it's an adaptation. Will Smith's Old Boy would've been an adaptation, not a remake. I mean, do you consider to be the new Captain America movie to be a remake of that old bullshit made-for-TV pilot thing?

And I'm crazy, whatever. You're acting like this is going to be starring Sam Worthington with Paul W.S. Anderson directing. This is being directed by two of the best writers/directors in the businesss that have literally never made a bad movie, starring an actor who's never given anything less than a solid performance (that i can recall), and the rest of the cast looks pretty great too. This movie has about 15 times more going for it than 3:10 to Yuma did.

man knows his westerns. /agreed on the caliber of original True Grit, and yeah, thanks for putting that into perspective. the downside is, im finally excited about a goddamn western movie again, and if this thing falls of the rails, im blaming you, sir.

on the note of Coen Bros: havent seen Miller's Crossing, Blood Sample, Fargo or Barton Fink. what's the order of importance here?

True Grit was a good movie, it was a classic, but I'm not quite sure I'd consider it a classic with caps lock on (then again Haku thinks Once Upon a Time in the West is a bad movie and that Twins is a noteworthy comedy, so what the fuck does he know)

I see what you're trying to do here, sonny. I'll let your zombie thread and the fact you think The Last House on the Left remake is a shinning star, the epitome of its genre, speak for itself. :sarcasm:

on the note of Coen Bros: havent seen Miller's Crossing, Blood Sample, Fargo or Barton Fink. what's the order of importance here?

I haven't seen Blood Simple (their first film) yet, but of those listed I'd go in this order:

Miller's Crossing

Fargo

Barton Fink

Blood Simple

Speaking strictly int eh sense of convenience, I own Fargo. It's also tops in terms of which of those movies has the most gruesome

Steve Buscemi

death. Also, Baytor, since you say the Coens have never made a bad movie, I take it you're an Intolerable Cruelty and The Ladykillers apologist?

I see what you're trying to do here, sonny. I'll let your zombie thread and the fact you think The Last House on the Left remake is a shinning star, the epitome of its genre, speak for itself. :)

I haven't seen Blood Simple (their first film) yet, but of those listed I'd go in this order:

Miller's Crossing

Fargo

Barton Fink

Blood Simple

Yeah, I've seen your essentials list for other genres, so I don't even want to know your tastes in horror. It's like inquiring about the fetishes of your creepy perverted uncle. I don't know where you're coming from on the Last House on the Left Remake though, I mean did you see the first one?

I'd also put Blood Simple above Fargo and Barton Fink, but otherwise I find that list acceptable. Nick, you really really owe it to yourself to see Miller's Crossing, it's one of the best gangster movies ever made.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i still can't believe they're totally remaking the greatest John Wayne movie OF ALL TIME

i admit, ive never known how to react to anything here or baytor's evil mouth-words. it's been so long since i could allow myself to get excited about a western film - motherfucker, i sat through All the pretty horses. i think i made it a chunk into that one with the Dawson's Creek kid. i went looking for chocolate, and allowed myself to dine on feces in hopes of something chocolate-esque, or at least not corn. so here goes the big lebowski with the coen brothers directing and matt damon who im totally not fucking and everything looks lined up so as to allow my forthcoming disappointment to be mathematically impossible, yet i'm feeling wariness where there should be more giddy excitement.

• 3 weeks later...

trailer 2

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8QLMWN0yNs?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8QLMWN0yNs?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8QLMWN0yNs?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Oh yeah, that's the stuff right there. I still don't see how Nick is so conflicted w/ this one. Sure, I can see how he'd be a bit wary. We all know that a cool trailer doesn't equal a great film (see Airbender as a recent example), butt he existential crisis he seems to be undergoing over this film is a bit much. :bored:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osbgm_gYaI0?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osbgm_gYaI0?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osbgm_gYaI0?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

• 1 month later...

Archived