Hondo's Bar

Rock band 3

Newtype

Rock Band 3 will, as expected, let you do something you've never been able to do in a home music game before: play the keyboard.

Yes, the fifth wheel of the rock world makes its long-overdue debut in Harmonix's Rock Band 3, a report on USA Today showcasing not only the new controller in action, but a revamped tracklist designed to make the most of it.

The keyboard is a "25-key, fully functioning MIDI" version of the real thing, and is one of two key improvements made to the game, the other being the introduction of a new "Rock Band Pro" mode for expert players, which replaces coloured tabs with real musical symbols in an effort to get players on the track to playing real instruments.

To complement Pro mode, there are two new guitar controllers in development that feature actual strings, one a full-sized replica of a Fender Stratocaster, the other a Fender Mustang Pro. "You can go from plucking single notes to power chords and bar chords, we have crazy stuff like tapping and slides," Harmonix's Sylvain Dubrofsky says. "If you ever had any aspirations of connecting with the music in a deeper way ... you are really going to like Rock Band 3."

A partial tracklist has also been revealed, and is predictably keyboard-heavy.

2000s

Combat Baby — Metric

Dead End Friends — Them Crooked Vultures

Get Free — The Vines

Lasso — Phoenix

Me Enamora — Juanes

Oh My God — Ida Maria

Portions of Foxes — Rilo Kiley

The Hardest Button to Button — The White Stripes

1990s

Been Caught Stealing — Jane's Addiction

In the Meantime — Spacehog

Plush — Stone Temple Pilots

Walkin' on the Sun — Smash Mouth

1980s

Crazy Train — Ozzy Osbourne

Here I Go Again — Whitesnake

I Love Rock and Roll — Joan Jett

Just Like Heaven — The Cure

Rainbow in the Dark — Dio

The Power of Love — Huey Lewis and the News

Sister Christian — Night Ranger

1960s-1970s

Bohemian Rhapsody — Queen :no:

Break On Through — The Doors

Crosstown Traffic — Jimi Hendrix

There are plenty of other minor tweaks and adjustments being made to the series' successful formula.

Not sure if it's officially confirmed, but you can bet that the inclusion of Bohemian Rhapsody also means that the vocal harmonies we saw in The Beatles game will make it to RB3. Right now, I just need to know if they are working to make older DLC and imported tracks compadible in Pro mode. Even if they can't have them all compadible at launch, but say they will update a handful every week, I'm down for this.

This'll fail unless it's a Key-tar.

Did you see the video? It basically is a key-tar, which is just a keyboard with a strap you can play while moving around. It can be set down to be played like a keyboard too. Also, it's midi compadible, so it's a real mini keytar you could use to compose music on a computer with, or in a live setting.

call me a square, but most of those songs save queen, doors, power of love and stp i don't know about. and why no linkin park? they are clearly a good use of the new keyboard.

this will have a whole new level of difficulty now! glad they went with a keyboard.

call me a square, but most of those songs save queen, doors, power of love and stp i don't know about. and why no linkin park? they are clearly a good use of the new keyboard.

this will have a whole new level of difficulty now! glad they went with a keyboard.

Well, those are not all the songs that will be in the game. Those are just the first batch they've announced. The in-game setlist will have 83 songs I think, plus any imported songs (One Step Closer was in RB2, so you can import that) and DLC. We still don't have details on the keyboard or Pro mode integration of older songs. Will HMX go back and rework the charts for those song free of charge? At a cost? Per song or one flat fee? Not at all? That's a question I'm sure reporters will ask at E3, so hopefully we'll find out.

Also, Timmy, you've never heard of The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, the White Stripes, The Cure, Smash Mouth, Jane's Addiction, Whitesnake, Joan Jett or Ozzy Osbourne?

Will buy keytar. Brilliant.

In the Meantime — Spacehog

I ain't heard that song

since it was big.

220px-Chris_Penn.jpg

But when it was big, I must've heard it

a million-trillion fuckin' times.

Awesome.

Just Like Heaven will be cool. Been Caught Stealing...isn't that whole album available for download?

I gotta assume too, that this is where GH & RB finally part ways in terms of chronic sameness with varying degrees of personal opinion. Activision will no doubt stick to turntable support over the addition of a new peripheral(wait, that can't be right)- that's what'd make sense anyways, and Harmonix will have the Keytar, meaning that instead of completely interchangable games there'll finally be a reason to have both games depending on what instruments you want to play.

Anyone want to guess pricing this early? I'll invariably be waiting for the UK release so I can import, since we in AU still don't have RB2. cunts

• 2 months later...

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/08/19/entire-rock-band-3-set-list-leaked.aspx

Amy Winehouse – Rehab

Anthrax – Caught in a Mosh Pit

At the Drive-In – One-Armed Scissor

Avenged Sevenfold – Beast and the Harlot

B-52's – Rock Lobster

Big Country – In a Big Country

Blondie – Heart of Glass

Blood, Sweat & Tears – Spinning Wheel

Bob Marley & The Wailers – Get Up, Stand Up

Chicago – 25 or 6 to 4

David Bowie – Space Oddity

Deep Purple – Smoke on the Water

Def Leppard – Foolin'

Devo – Whip It

Dio – Rainbow in the Dark

Dire Straits – Walk of Life

Dover – King George

Echo and the Bunnymen – Killing Moon

Elton John – Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting)

Faith No More – Midlife Crisis

Filter – Hey Man, Nice Shot

Flaming Lips – Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Pt. 1

Foreigner – Cold as Ice

Golden Earring – Radar Love

HIM – Killing Loneliness

Huey Lewis and the News – The Power of Love

Hypernova – Viva La Resistance

INXS – Need You Tonight

Ida Maria – Oh My God

James Brown – I Got You (I Feel Good)

Jane's Addiction – Been Caught Stealing

Jimi Hendrix – Crosstown Traffic

Joan Jett – I Love Rock and Roll

John Lennon – Imagine

Juanes – Me Enamora

Lynyrd Skynyrd – Free Bird

Maná – Oye Mi Amor

Marilyn Manson – The Beautiful People

Metric – Combat Baby

Night Ranger – Sister Christian (for the boogie night fans who want to snort coke and play RB in their robes)

Ozzy Osbourne – Crazy Train

Paramore – Misery Business

Phish – Llama

Phoenix – Lasso

Poni Hoax – Antibodies

Pretty Girls Make Graves – Something Bigger, Something Brighter

Primus – Jerry Was a Race Car Driver

Queen – Bohemian Rhapsody

Queens Of The Stone Age – No One Knows

Rammstein – Du Hast

Raveonettes – Last Dance

Rilo Kiley – Portions of Foxes

Riverboat Gamblers – Don't Bury Me? I'm Not Dead

Roxette – The Look

Rush – TBD

Slipknot – Before I Forget

Smash Mouth – Walkin' on the Sun

Spacehog – In the Meantime

Steve Miller Band – Fly Like An Eagle

Stone Temple Pilots – Plush

Swingin' Utters – This ***'s Life

T.Rex – 20th Century Boy

Tears for Fears – Everybody Wants to Rule the World

Tegan and Sara – The Con--WHUT???RILLI LULZ.

The Beach Boys – Good Vibrations (Live)

The Bronx – False Alarm

The Cure – Just Like Heaven

The Doors – Break On Through

The Muffs – Outer Space

The Police – Don't Stand So Close To Me

The Ramones – I Wanna Be Sedated

The Smiths – Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before

The Sounds – Living in America

The Vines – Get Free

The White Stripes – The Hardest Button to Button

The Who – I Can See For Miles

Them Crooked Vultures – Dead End Friends

Tokio Hotel – Humanoid

Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers – I Need To Know

War – Low Rider

Warren Zevon – Werewolves Of London

Whitesnake – Here I Go Again

Yes – Roundabout

A 'to be determined' Rush songs? Man....

Anyway, that list looks solid. Odd choice of Smiths song, considering they have at least two dozen more famous songs, and at least as many ones that would be more fun. As great a song as Imagine is, it's not an ideal song for this game, in my opinion. Instant Karma or Give Peace A Chance are also enormously popular Lennon songs that would have been great to play for more than just the piano and vocals. Still, in pro mode it'll be great to learn how to actually play that song. Obviously the piano songs I'm most excited to learn in pro mode are those where the piano melody carries the tune so it would be recognizable if the piano part was played alone.

Archived