Hondo's Bar

Deadpool

As excited as I am for this movie I still feel like they could have made a very serviceable PG-13 version. Bleep out the curse words, make it even more self aware. Other than the violence, which is cartoony enough, I just don't get a very R rated vibe from the comics. Movie still looks great and incredibly faithful though.

Also I can't be the only one that finds the whole chimichanga fascination annoying as fuck.

Edited by Axels

Yeah, back in the early '00s PG-13 meant "sanitized", now it just means "we have to be more artful with the ultraviolence and we can't show tits or use particularly nasty swears", I'm still willing to indulge a hard-R comic book movie if for no reason than it allows Ryan Reynolds to go full Hannibal King (AKA the only reason I own Blade Trinity) again.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sure y'all already know about the petition to make a PG-13 cut of the movie. Which is much less annoying than the frothy mouthed fanboys being a bunch of cunts about the whole deal. I mean, I like Deadpool alot, but some people REAAAALLLY fucking like Deadpool.

Also, a surprise screening of the movie was held with some frothy fan impressions.

I'm sure y'all already know about the petition to make a PG-13 cut of the movie. Which is much less annoying than the frothy mouthed fanboys being a bunch of cunts about the whole deal. I mean, I like Deadpool alot, but some people REAAAALLLY fucking like Deadpool.

Also, a surprise screening of the movie was held with some frothy fan impressions.

Hmm. Not sure how to feel about the petition. One of my students (2nd grade) LOVES Deadpool and I know his dad, who's a friend of mine, plans on taking him to see the rated R version. His dad told me that he doesn't mind the kid seeing violence as long as it's not extreme and that they always have a talk about bad words and how they shouldn't be used outside the house. I wonder how I'd feel if I had a kid around this age.

I saw on IG that my boo Ivy Doomkitty saw it at a screening as well and loved it. I'm hyped about the positive reviews so far! Dammit, I'm running out of time to read more of the comics!

Edited by Donatella

Taking your (2nd grade?!) kid to see a flick like Deadpool is nuts. I shake my head in disappointment when I bump into children on GTA. I blame the internet for having the kids exposed to all this at such a young age. I guess it boils down to what kind of parent you want to be.

If my 2nd grade child wanted to see a movie like Deadpool - if we were at Blockbuster and I could choose, I'd grab the PG-13 version.

Taking your (2nd grade?!) kid to see a flick like Deadpool is nuts. I shake my head in disappointment when I bump into children on GTA. I blame the internet for having the kids exposed to all this at such a young age. I guess it boils down to what kind of parent you want to be.

If my 2nd grade child wanted to see a movie like Deadpool - if we were at Blockbuster and I could choose, I'd grab the PG-13 version.

I felt the same way when I saw a family (with four kids who looked to be 6-12 years old) at Django Unchained!

This is Miami so kids see worse on the street corners of the third-world country they're from. Plus, parents nowadays don't look up from their phones long enough to see all the gratuitous violence movies that their kids soak up.

But yeah, I'm with Nemo.

They should just wait for the inevitable gag DVD special feature where they censor the film down to 5 minutes.

Edited by Da Cap'n 2099

Wait, wait are ye saying that you never watched an R rated movie as a kid? What age is 2nd grade? Ten? At ten I had watched Halloween, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Bloodsport, Hellraiser and that list just goes on. My younger brother played GTA from the age of six. People forget how resilient they were themselves as kids, they're a lot stronger (mentally), smarter and nowhere near as fragile as adults seem to think.

Primarily I think it's up to the parent, and (hopefully) nobody knows their kids better than them, if they feel their kids are ready, then they more than likely are.

Edited by alive she cried
  • Upvote 2

I saw From Dusk Till Dawn when I was 9 and I watched all manner of action movies that I knew my mother didn't like me watching with my dad from kindergarten up. It depends on how well behaved my son is, if he's a little shitbastard then no but if he's mature and can handle language and violence then I have no issue.

My daughter is 11 and, no, I wouldn't take her to Deadpool.

You and Baytor are both parents so you both know what your kid would or wouldn't be able to handle. Obviously I don't know your girl so I can't comment on her, but do you think eleven year old Panch would have come out of a Deadpool screening unscathed?

My parents didn't know shit and would have allowed me to go see this because it's a comic book movie. Also, I'm a male and the 90s were a different time. Besides, it isn't the blood, violence and curse words that I'm concerned with. It's the sex and/or nudity.

I can totally understand the nudity being off putting, especially if you're watching with your kid (male or female). It's definitely the content that would give me most pause when considering if a younger person could watch material aimed at adults. Again though I say, would eleven year old Panch have been okay if he saw a movie with some tits and ass? I don't see how us growing up in the 90's is relevant, kids of today are probably more informed about life in general than we were.

Edited by alive she cried

Wait, wait are ye saying that you never watched an R rated movie as a kid? What age is 2nd grade? Ten? At ten I had watched Halloween, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Bloodsport, Hellraiser and that list just goes on. My younger brother played GTA from the age of six. People forget how resilient they were themselves as kids, they're a lot stronger (mentally), smarter and nowhere near as fragile as adults seem to think.

Primarily I think it's up to the parent, and (hopefully) nobody knows their kids better than them, if they feel their kids are ready, then they more than likely are.

Second graders are 7, going on 8.

Your childhood sounds much like mine! I was raised on horror films and it was fine! But I do have friends who were traumatized by movies at that age (Stephen King's It fucked up so many of my friends!). Definitely depends on the kid. I think I'd trust parents to know what their kids can handle. Deadpool being an action/comedy somehow makes it seem much more innocuous to me.

Pictured here in September 1939, Einstein relaxes on the beach near his Long Island summer home with friend and local department store owner David Rothman. After some initial confusion in the store resulting from Einstein’s thickly accented request for a pair of “sundahls,” which Rothman interpreted as “sundial,” the scientist was able to successfully purchase the white sandals on his feet for $1.35. He laughed off the episode, blaming “mine atrocious accent!” The men remained close friends thereafter, later forming a neighborhood string quartet together.

I looked it up.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

From the opening to the end credits scene, this was the most enjoyable movie I've seen in the theater since Episode VII. Four of us went to see it--only one was a hardcore comic book fan and had read most of the Deadpool comics, myself and another were knowledgeable of the character to lesser degree, one had really no clue about the character at all, and we all loved the film.

They even snuck in a Blade reference, although it was to Blade II and not the Reynolds-tatstic Blade 3 for some reason. Also, I wonder

And the Ferris Bueller's Day Off end credit sequence was such a great cherry on top of the whole thing. Damn, I hope the Cable line wasn't horseshit. We had a whole argument after the film about ho would be the better Cable--Arnold or Dolph. I felt after seeing Terminator Genisys it's gotta be Arnold.