Hondo's Bar

Deadpool

I thought it looked like the Helicarrier, but just wrote it off as just some tanker or something. I'm kinda hoping the fact he directly references Sam Jackson at the very end might signal some sort of blossoming relationship between Fox and Marvel, though I doubt it.

If you look close in the wide shots, it has turbines on the sides. It's definitely the helicarrier.

No trollin', I honestly, didn't even bring it up because I thought it was so obvious. I'm surprised Panch didn't catch it.

You see the turbines on either side in at least two wide shots. My friends and I were actually debating which hellicarrier it was. I don't think it can be any of the MCU carriers; the design was all wrong, much more like the old school comic books. But my friend was sure it was the one from the first Avenger's movie. Either way, it was for sure a hellicarrier, Panch.

if it was, they went outta there way to not say so, i think

awesome flick, and doesn't new line own blade? that mighta been as close a reference as they could get, who knows...my question is, Inara (Firefly) - i know the name was Vanessa, was anyone else getting a Domino vibe? nah?

if it was, they went outta there way to not say so, i think

awesome flick, and doesn't new line own blade? that mighta been as close a reference as they could get, who knows...my question is, Inara (Firefly) - i know the name was Vanessa, was anyone else getting a Domino vibe? nah?

Marina Baccarin. And she had a few good seasons on Homeland and she's currently on Gotham.

Vanessa is Copycat in the comics, I think that was mentioned in the thread somewhere. Domino would be better though. Especially if we really get Cable in the sequel. Fuck it, just give us a New Mutants/X-Force film told from Deadpool's POV. Speaking of which...

Were there any Liefeld references that I missed in the film? Chains, shoulderpads, pouches, references?

ahhh i knew it was a preexisting name for a character! thanks for that

there might've been, but honestly most of x-force that comes from wade's liefeld era shines so much more brightly on Peter David's fantastic X-Factor run (Shatterstar, Rictor, Siryn, etc) and that'd work infinitely better as a show, but i doubt we'll see that, sadly...honestly, it's such a classic Whedon/Buffy vibe that i'd wager some of ya'll would love the book, but i just don't see it being made, sadly. hope i'm wrong, one day.

If we can get a Deadpool film this good, then I think it's not too farfetched to hope for a Liefeld-era Shatterstar costume to show up complete with "double-swords, white outfit, ponytail, and head gear somewhere in the future. Even if it's just in some throwaway scene, the sequel would be worth the price of a blu-ray for that alone.

Sorry ladies....

2572627-shatterstar_bigcostume1.jpg

...This dick ain't for chicks!

James Gunn expects Hollywood to learn the wrong lessons from Deadpool

"The film has a self-deprecating tone that’s riotous. It’s never been done before. It’s poking fun at Marvel. That label takes itself so seriously, can you imagine them making fun of themselves in a movie? They’d rather stab themselves."

That's a quote from Deadline Hollywood, attributing it to a Hollywood "suit." I love Deadline and get a lot of my film business news from them. And I love Deadpool even more - the film is hilariously funny, has lots of heart, and is exactly what we need right now, taking true risks in spectacle film - but COME THE FUCK ON. That's no reason to rewrite history. This quote has to have been said by the dumbest fucking Hollywood exec in the history of dumb fucking Hollywood execs.

Let's ignore Guardians for a moment, a movie that survives from moment to moment building itself up and cutting itself down - God knows I'm biased about that one. But what do you think Favreau and Downey did in Iron Man? What the fuck was Ant-Man??!

Come on, Deadline.

After every movie smashes records people here in Hollywood love to throw out the definitive reasons why the movie was a hit. I saw it happen with Guardians. It "wasn't afraid to be fun" or it "was colorful and funny" etc etc etc. And next thing I know I hear of a hundred film projects being set up "like Guardians," and I start seeing dozens of trailers exactly like the Guardians trailer with a big pop song and a bunch of quips. Ugh.

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

Deadpool wasn't that. Deadpool was its own thing. THAT'S what people are reacting to. It's original, it's damn good, it was made with love by the filmmakers, and it wasn't afraid to take risks.

For the theatrical experience to survive, spectacle films need to expand their definition of what they can be. They need to be unique and true voices of the filmmakers behind them. They can't just be copying what came before them.

So, over the next few months, if you pay attention to the trades, you'll see Hollywood misunderstanding the lesson they should be learning with Deadpool. They'll be green lighting films "like Deadpool" - but, by that, they won't mean "good and original" but "a raunchy superhero film" or "it breaks the fourth wall." They'll treat you like you're stupid, which is the one thing Deadpool didn't do.

But hopefully in the midst of all this there will be a studio or two that will take the right lesson from this - like Fox did with Guardians by green-lighting Deadpool - and say - "Boy, maybe we can give them something they don't already have."

And that's who is going to succeed.

Have a great day.

• 2 months later...