Hondo's Bar

Deadpool

• 1 month later...

It's out on Redbox and I just finished watching it.

James Gunn expects Hollywood to learn the wrong lessons from Deadpool

"The film has a self-deprecating tone that’s riotous. It’s never been done before. It’s poking fun at Marvel. That label takes itself so seriously, can you imagine them making fun of themselves in a movie? They’d rather stab themselves."

That's a quote from Deadline Hollywood, attributing it to a Hollywood "suit." I love Deadline and get a lot of my film business news from them. And I love Deadpool even more - the film is hilariously funny, has lots of heart, and is exactly what we need right now, taking true risks in spectacle film - but COME THE FUCK ON. That's no reason to rewrite history. This quote has to have been said by the dumbest fucking Hollywood exec in the history of dumb fucking Hollywood execs.

Let's ignore Guardians for a moment, a movie that survives from moment to moment building itself up and cutting itself down - God knows I'm biased about that one. But what do you think Favreau and Downey did in Iron Man? What the fuck was Ant-Man??!

Come on, Deadline.

After every movie smashes records people here in Hollywood love to throw out the definitive reasons why the movie was a hit. I saw it happen with Guardians. It "wasn't afraid to be fun" or it "was colorful and funny" etc etc etc. And next thing I know I hear of a hundred film projects being set up "like Guardians," and I start seeing dozens of trailers exactly like the Guardians trailer with a big pop song and a bunch of quips. Ugh.

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

Deadpool wasn't that. Deadpool was its own thing. THAT'S what people are reacting to. It's original, it's damn good, it was made with love by the filmmakers, and it wasn't afraid to take risks.

For the theatrical experience to survive, spectacle films need to expand their definition of what they can be. They need to be unique and true voices of the filmmakers behind them. They can't just be copying what came before them.

So, over the next few months, if you pay attention to the trades, you'll see Hollywood misunderstanding the lesson they should be learning with Deadpool. They'll be green lighting films "like Deadpool" - but, by that, they won't mean "good and original" but "a raunchy superhero film" or "it breaks the fourth wall." They'll treat you like you're stupid, which is the one thing Deadpool didn't do.

But hopefully in the midst of all this there will be a studio or two that will take the right lesson from this - like Fox did with Guardians by green-lighting Deadpool - and say - "Boy, maybe we can give them something they don't already have."

And that's who is going to succeed.

Have a great day.

Word.

I'm gonna start off by saying I'm not a fan of the Ryan Reynolds' brand of...whatever that shtick is called - I'll call it 'Van Wilder-ing'. That's all I see him as...in everything I've seen him in. Fucking-A, I can't stand the 'I'm-just-so-darn-witty' routine.

That said - it is great to see a live-action Deadpool played by an annoying as fuck person who swears he's endearing n' funny.

FX were outta hand awesome - CG Deadpool only stood out at times 'cuz his animation was so flawless. Colossus looked fantastic and he was great. The production and quality of the picture was excellent.

It was a one-off, hard-R, zany film - I totally appreciated the effort to be different. I dig bold, risky and unique. I was entertained - but, it didn't feel like it was aimed at me. Felt more for that Family Guy crowd. It's just non-stop gags w/out substance or real story. (On a mission to get his face fixed? True love - but is as superficial as he fears his girlfriend to be?) Just a bunch of shit that happens. Whatever - it all looked cool, just really fucking thin and ultimately empty.

Glad I didn't see it in the theater - I can only imagine the psychotic chuckle-reflex I'd have to constantly block out after every fucking one-liner Deadpool spat out.

I hope the sequel is a bit more outlandish now that they've got the origin story out of the way. Though, I doubt they've all got the 'we can say, fuck!' out of their systems. It got to a point where it felt like they were just trying to make 15 years olds giggle.

It's not on my 'gotta buy' list, but I am looking forward to the potential of the inevitable sequels. I'm sure they're gonna keep pushing their creativity when it comes to breaking the 4th wall.

Finally got around to watching the Blu-Ray last night and the extras are mighty and worth every penny.

You get a solid 1hr20min documentary that includes too little of Fabian Nicieza & Joe Kelly. Also there are trailers and Net promos, of which there were way more than I was aware of, plus your standard deleted scenes (which were good and reveal a few big plot changes then made through editing), and your standard gag reel which they tacked on a bunch of alternate lines TJ Miller & Reynolds ad-libbed

Commentary by the director along with Rob Liefeld was a bit of a snooze fest, and I skipped around. However, the commentary with Ryan Reynolds and the two writers was pretty good. They talked a lot about stuff cut from the script as well as the whole process of getting the movie made. One of the funniest moments though was totally ironic though. Reynolds and the writers, who say they're recording the commentary 9 days prior to the film's release,praise Fox Studios for graciously allowing them to have an R and not a PG-13 rating because it's apparently showbiz scripture that a PG-13 rating always makes more money. Add that "fact" to the list of Poolboy's casualties.

• 7 months later...

As I was reading all that - I was already thinking 'they could just knock out Cable's origin in minutes.' I mean, ^ they managed to explain who Cable was in a couple of sentences.

In a movie like Deadpool, where the target audience is not...general / casual...they could keep his mom a Jean-clone (I would prefer it). I can hear the in-movie addendum as they're explaining the Jean-clone - let's say via crude crayons: 'They haven't made this movie, yet' - or 'trust me, this is how it happened - check out wikipedia'...or 'if you didn't know there was a Jean-clone, what the fuck are you doing in this movie theater, do you even know who Cable is?! Just get out! I hope you hate this movie!'

• Upvote 1