Hondo's Bar

Bond - Past It?

A good friend of mine says Bond's past it, over the hill, just not cool enough anymore. And it doesn't help that Pierce ain't getting any younger. She loved xXx for its cool and style, and said the following, which made me seriously laugh:

Vin Diesel has stamped on Bond. Torn it up, thrown it off a mountain a few times and just ... vomited all over it

As critics go, she may be one of the more colourful in her imagery, but does she have a point?

I thought xXx was pretty nice. The action scenes were spot on, Vin makes for a pretty stylish spy, and if the plot was a little weak ... what the hell, it's a spy flick. Good fun all round. Who cares if the stunts are sometimes beyond the bounds of rationality, it's all entertainment.

Still, I must admit I've never been a massive fan of old school bond. I much prefer the direction it's been going since Brosnan came along. More style, more action - yeah! I thought GoldenEye and The World is Not Enough were the two best Bonds yet. Thing is, can Pierce keep up? He'll need Q to install nifty zimmer frame gadgets soon enough, and against xXx and all the new wave spy films that'll be hitting us soon, Bond may just be out of his league.

I reckon the only thing that'll save him is by clinging onto the wit, manners, and English charm that made Bond the institution that it is. Looking forward to seeing if the new one manages the balancing act of action and style vs sophistication and smugness.

Fuck but I do go on a bit. Sorry.

Well I think it's the wit, manners, and English charm that has kept Bond going for all these decades, so as long as they've got that, it'll last. Also, the Bond flicks have always managed to stay pretty cutting edge, while somehow remaining true to the feel of the older films. We can look back on some of the Roger Moore films and laugh, now, but at the time it was at the top of action movies, just as GoldenEye and The World Is Not Enough are, now. As well done as movies like xXx are, it's still just another Bond film with a different face. I, personally, don't see Bond going anywhere for a while. People still love the characters, they still enjoy the ludicrous plot and the amazing set pieces, and hey, there's still Bond-girls. Those things never go out of style.

There will be no other Bond in my book other than Sean Connery.

I think the new movies lack brains. Yes the techno-wizardry is still incredible, but the awe of hiding a telephone in your shoe is long gone. (It would be more appropriate if Bond loaded a GPS enabled laptop in his shoe). I think the older Connery flicks were smarter and had alot more to do with spywork than action and big bangs. I think Pierce is perfect for the role though. I enjoyed his first installment as Bond, Goldeneye, alot more than the last few ones that he's done.

And, sue me, but I liked Timothy Dalton too.

I'm with you there, man. I'm one of the few guys who liked Dalton, as well. His Bond seemed like the most gritty and realistic, to me. Granted that might've also hurt the character a bit, but it's nice to have slightly different takes. Connery, of course, will always be the original and best Bond, but what I like about Brosnan is he seems to blend the best of the other Bonds into one. He's got a bit've Connery's wit, some've Dalton's realism, and he even occasionally throws in a Moore-style one-line ("She always did enjoy a good squeeze"). So far, since Connery, I think he's been the most fun to watch...even if he IS pushing 50, now.

And TD, geez, man, how COULD I forget the cars?! That Aston Martin they have in the new one? Ohhhhh :D Cargasm

I saw xXX and thought, yeah cool action and stunts, but it lacked the stuff that Bond is renowned for, GIRLS! The leading lady looked like a coke addict, where as its Miss Halle Berry in the new bond :D

As Pierce is a Local Lad, yes hes from Navan, where i live, i think hes a very good bond, but don't beat Connery, definatley ahead of Lasenby, Dalton, and Moore, IMO.

Should be good, and now John Cleese is in on the act, ah magic! The comedy posibilities are endless!

And such a lovley person too. I was watching Dennis Pennis a few nights ago and Pierce was the only interveiwee/ victim to talk with Pennis. It went some thing like this:

Pennis: "I just saw Goldeneye and I was glued to my seat. Otherwise I would have left."

Brosnan: "Oh, I see, that's very funny, you're a funy guy."

I know he's the gentleman spy and all that, but I at least would have wanted a punch or two.

• 2 months later...

ok, ok... now yall are probably askin, why hasn't spiffytee seen this movie yet? well, cause of all the bashing it got, of course! But really... when do critics and rondon agree with my taste? The plot is a la femme nikita/bond, no suprise, but with a serious twist. The main guy likes extreme sports and video games! hmm... don't get me wrong, but most video game people out there like videogames cause they don't get hurt. hahaha!! and extreme sports guys don't like "pussy" video games... ok, ok, i'll go with it and believe the xxx guy.

The main character is refreshing though. he's a brash, adreneline, no bs kinda guy. So simple, it works well with the attitude and direction the film is going. yes, things happen that totally don't make sense (physics and gravity.) But again, the movie is about what happens when extreme sports meets spy. It works well for the stunts, which include an exploding building and motorcycle stunt i don't think john woo would attempt to shoot. The effects are amazing, some of which happen very fast. It helps to have the dvd to see what went on behind the scenes.

This aint true lies, but it's damn fun.

notes: director rob cohen - fast and furious, dragon - bruce lee story

asia argento - main chick xxx, and daughter to dario argento, whose movies i am dying to see (mainly horror/detective/thriller movies)

randy edelman - music (good orchestrals here) did a lot of stuff.

some stunt guy - of the 500 that were in the movie, one didn't make it out.

Edited by spiffytee

chihiro - "he's better than bond."

i was talkin with aadil about the stunts, mixin in extreme sports.... he said, "bond did that too in the last movie. He parachuted with a snowboard and water... etc" I was like, "really? i don't remember that" Ah! i hadn't seen the last movie.... then i said, "xXx came out before that."

aadil said, "there's no way i'm going to accept that bond got an idea from xXx!"

Chi-chan hasnt seen the classic bonds, to say that...

Ok im biased & havent watched xXx cause ive fuck all interest in Vin or any movie that hypes "extreme!" sports, but then if markering buzzwords bothered me, i suppose id get tried of 007 trying to sell me BMW's, wristwatches, cell phones etc...christ.

Goldeneye was Pierce's best. I didnt like World is not enough much. Dalton wasnt that great, but was he in "The Living Daylights?" Think that was him...not as good as Moore but not nearly as bad as "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" guy.

In college, i made a point to watch all the old bond flicks, especially the Connery ones. I think Pierce is easily the best one since but i dont have much interest in the 007 movies anymore, i dunno...just feels episodic these days, if i catch em on DVD good, but no hurry to the theaters, you know? So for me, maybe the formula has gotten a bit old...but if its to be replaced, its not by "extreme!" shit.

I cant think of another good example tho...well, im one of the few who enjoyed Kilmer as "The Saint", thought that was cool, good soundtrack too.

My two cents also ceom from someone who's not really a Bond fan. Don't get me wrong, I liked most of the movies I've seen, I'm just not really a huge fan. I think Bond needs to do something new though. I mean, EVERYBODY is trying to piss on him. Austin Powers, xxx, hell, even Mr. Bean and the kid from Malcolm in the middle have spy movies coming out. I still need to see die another day, but I think that now that he's got competition from the XXX type stuff Bond should up the ante somewhat. I was always afraid that the bond people would get sick of it alland respond by putting Bond up against some other secret agent that was younger, stronger, and dumber and bond would just humiliate him at the end or something. I really hope that they dont go for a "if you cant beat em , join em" philosophy and make the next bond more Vin-ish or some shit like that.

I agree with IC...if Bond is going to be replaced, it's not gonna be by this extreme sports crap. Okok, maybe I should rephrase - it shouldn't be replaced by this extreme sports crap. But given the general taste of American audiences I guess it could be. If it had to be replaced I'd rather see it done by the more intelligent spy movies that have come out, like The Bourne Identity and Spy Game. Movies that are fun enough to keep us entertained, but realistic enough that we actually believe maybe they could happen.

i wish i could say more about this, but i haven't seen the brand new bond film. But if it's true and he did do some extreme sport stuff, i'd be funny to see how yall would go about trying to revoke the last installment.

Silent Bob - there's an interesting thread, hopefully you start one about that point. How realistic should a movie be? A sense of reality gives it substance, but what about fantasy and things that are over the top? What do you prefer to see in action/drama/thriller/family?

note... tis a shame yahve didn't like true lies...

There will be no other Bond in my book other than Sean Connery.

Sean Connery was the best no doubt!

What about that guy that did just that one Bond film: On Her Majesty's Secret Service...

What was his name?.... Um.... George Lazenby! :D

He was ass-horrible...

Spiffy, if 007 participates in some "extreme sport" for a scene that's no big deal, its still different than watching a trailer of a Vin movie, Linkin Park or some awful clone in the bakground, where he's either dropping bad one-liners about how cool he is, doing some odd combination of "extreme" sports or feelin up some skank....i know bout this and Bond movies are formulaic, just, that formula sucks... (yes, yes "thats just my opinion, i could be wrong." - Dennis Miller)