Hondo's Bar

Jurassic World

JURASSIC PARK IV Gets A 2014 Release Date!

While no director is attached yet, Universal Pictures has announced that the long in-development fourth film in the Jurassic Park series will finally be released in the summer of 2014, and will be shot in 3D. Steven Spielberg is also confirmed to produce.

Paul Romano - 1/11/2013

51517L.jpg

2014 is already a big year for movies, and we just entered 2013. Godzilla, Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes, Transformers 4, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, The Hobbit: There And Back Again and many other big budget films are all set for a summer release that year. Now, we can add another movie to the list: Jurassic Park IV. Universal Pictures has announced that the fourth installment in the popular dinosaur franchise will arrive in theaters June 13th, 2014. While he isn't planning to direct, Steven Spielberg (who helmed the first two installments) is on board as producer. The film will be shot in 3D, which isn't surprising since the original Jurassic Park will be re-released in 3D on April 5th. Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes scribes Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver wrote the most recent draft of the script, and turned it in this week. A director is currently not attached to Jurassic Park IV, but it has been speculated that, since Robopocalypse has recently been delayed, Spielberg could very well return to the director's chair (Despite saying that he will only produce). Who would you like to see direct Jurassic Park IV?

Read more at http://www.comicbook...yEqlBW5fqauc.99

• 2 months later...

director posted:

1ayDCH2.jpg

scientific community unhappy:

A Velociraptor Without Feathers Isn’t a Velociraptor

Jurassic Park is the greatest dinosaur movie of all time. Aside from being an exceptionally entertaining adventure, the film introduced audiences to dinosaurs that had never been seen before – hybrids of new science and bleeding-edge special effects techniques. The active, alert, and clever dinosaurs that paleontologists had recently pieced together were revived by way of exquisite puppetry and computer imagery, instantly replacing the old images of dinosaurs as swamp-dwelling dullards. Despite the various scientific nitpicks and some artistic license overreach – let’s not talk about the “Spitter” - Jurassic Park showed how science and cinema could collaborate to create something truly majestic. That’s why it’s so disappointing to hear the the next Jurassic Park sequel is going to turn its back on a critical aspect of dinosaur lives. In Jurassic Park 4, the film’s director has stated, there will be no feathery dinosaurs.

I have no idea what dinosaurs are due to appear in Jurassic Park 4. I wish that I did. But if Velociraptor and Tyrannosaurus are reprising their roles, these dinosaurs should certainly have some kind of plumage. That comes right from fossil evidence and evolutionary logic. But this is about more than just visuals. A blockbuster summer film has the opportunity to introduce audiences to dinosaurs as have never been seen before on the big screen while simultaneously throwing some much-needed support to evolution by visualizing one of the critical traits that connects avian and non-avian dinosaurs. And speaking as an unabashed dinosaur fan myself, a dinosaur bearing fuzz, feathers, or quills is so much stranger and more wonderful than yet another olive green, scaly monstrosity. Hollywood, let paleontologists help you push the boundaries of fantastic dinosaurs.

Franchise purists might point out that Trevorrow’s plan is in the spirit of the original Jurassic Park. Nobody loves a retcon. But the franchise has already changed its dinosaurs several times with no explanation. The first sequel introduced new color palettes for the dinosaurs, as did the third film. (Not to mention the fact that Jurassic Park III raises the mystery of why Site B contains species that InGen didn’t clone, and never actually resolves this point.) If the dinosaurs are changing from film to film to start with, why not take a jump and show audiences something they have never witnessed before?

We shouldn’t feel bound by what audiences are comfortable with. I’ve never seen a major feature create a truly well-done, scary feathered dinosaur, mostly because they have been afraid to commit to science that differs from our cherished childhood imagery of what dinosaurs were. But if the creators of the original Jurassic Park showed the same fealty to old dinosaurs – tail-dragging, lumbering idiots – then the film might not have had the major cultural impact that it did. It’s time to take a calculated risk and update Jurassic Park‘s dinosaurs.

AibSgKK.jpg

i don't really feel strongly either way, but another dude pointed out that these dinos came from frog DNA, so...there's a way out?

either way, i could swear i read that raptors were only a few feet tall anyway.

You're right. Velociraptors are like the size of geese or something. I think they wanted a cool name to replace Deinonychus. Even they aren't that big.

xqCsiQ0.jpg

In fact, velociraptors are phony, just like Bill Clinton

Velociraptor are well known for their role as vicious and cunning killers in the 1990 novel Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton and its 1993 film adaptation, directed by Steven Spielberg, in which they served as the main antagonists. The "raptors" portrayed in Jurassic Park were modeled after a larger relative, Deinonychus, which Gregory Paul at the time called Velociraptor antirrhopus.[3] The paleontologists in the film and the novel excavate a so-called Velociraptor skeleton in Montana, far from the central Asian range of Velociraptor but well within the range of Deinonychus. A character in Crichton's novel also states that "…Deinonychus is now considered one of the velociraptors", indicating that Crichton used Paul's taxonomy, though the "raptors" in the novel are referred to as V. mongoliensis.[38]

The filmmakers also increased the size of the film's Velociraptor and changed the shape of its snout.[39][40] The forelimbs and tails of the film animals differed from those of real dromaeosaurids, directly contradicting fossil evidence. In real life, Velociraptor, like many other maniraptoran theropods, was covered in feathers. Jurassic Park and The Lost World: Jurassic Park, however, were released before this was known, and its raptors are shown with scaly skin. In Jurassic Park III, the male Velociraptor are depicted with quill-like structures along the back of the head and neck, although these do not resemble the down-like feathers known from real-life dromaeosaurids, and the quill knobs on some Velociraptor specimens show they had fully developed feathers akin to those of modern birds.[8]

• 5 weeks later...

I know this thing has a director and all, but I watched Life of Pi yesterday and thought: damn, I wish Ang Lee would direct a JP movie. The CG creatures in his movies are ridiculous. Dude knows how to tell a story, too (shut up, Hulk wasn't THAT bad).

• 4 months later...

re: the above

UPDATE: Sorry to report but this isn't a "pitch trailer" for the movie, just footage from a cancelled video game that shared the same name. Lucasfilm's Pablo Hidalgo confirms via Twitter.

Read more at http://www.comicbook...mcodRG47Hff3.99

n719732084_6375_normal.jpg

@infinata

yes and no. It was footage for a videogame project that never came to be, which happened to share a name.

2:44 PM - 11 Sep 2013

RETWEETS
FAVORITE