Hondo's Bar

XBONE

Newtype

May 21 9am PDT / 5pm BST: GameTrailers.com pre-show with Mr G. Keighley, Stephen Totilo, Jeff Gerstmann, Rob Smith

May 21 10am PDT / 6pm BST: Xbox - A New Generation Revealed keynote

May 21 11am PDT / 7pm BST: GameTrailers.com post-show with the Mr G. Keighley and Don Mattrick.

May 21 12pm PDT / 8pm BST: Twitch.tv post-show live show with Larry 'Major Nelson' Hyrb and co.

What are you guys looking for in the new xbox?

Edited by Newtype

going in with almost zero hype/expectations here so there's a lot've room to impress me! big games/exclusives announced would be awesome, i don't know how they can turn the ship around for the indie scene & XBLA but it could be done.

hopefully the no used game thing doesnt pan out, and like online codes it's left to the publisher. a real effort at BC would likewise impress me but i'm not holding my breath...curious what they'll do to step up XBL again this time as well, i imagine after share button they'll have some kind've recording/upload service and stuff talked about before like clan support.

Pay a fee to play used games apparently.

What follows naturally from this is that each disc would have to be tied to a unique Xbox Live account, else you could take a single disc and pass it between everyone you know and copy the game over and over. Since this is clearly not going to happen, each disc must then only install for a single owner.

Microsoft did say that if a disc was used with a second account, that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc.

But what if a second person simply wanted to put the disc in and play the game without installing – and without paying extra? In other words, what happens to our traditional concept of a “used game”? This is a question for which Microsoft did not yet have an answer, and is surely something that game buyers (as well as renters and lenders) will want to know.

Pay a fee to play used games apparently.

Microsoft did say that if a disc was used with a second account, that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc.

You'll have to pay a fee—and not just some sort of activation fee, but the actual price of that game.

Here's how the system works: when you buy an Xbox One game, you'll get a unique code that you enter when you install that game. You'll have to connect to the Internet in order to authorize that code, and the code can only be used once. Once you use it, that game will then be linked to your Xbox Live account. "It sits on your harddrive and you have permission to play that game as long as you’d like," Harrison said.

So nice of them to let me play a game I paid for.

Y'know...I think I might throw in the towel with consoles this gen. Neither of these have me very interested, and both are doing things that downright irritate me. I've never been apathetic about a new gen of consoles before.

I'm just gonna get a really nice PC. Fuck this shit.

not to throw 360 under the bus - its online infastructure stepped it up for everyone, and god knows they pushed western development into the spotlight - but ever since i got on steam, i sold like 3/4 of my collection for that system, and only kept a few exclusives & superior ports, the bulk of my play there these days has been XBLA, and redbox rentals.

i know E3 is the one for games, but i need to see some of those because like others here, i'm just not seeing a reason to go in on that in november. PS4 will at least have some exclusives i dig, and I've got my WU & handhelds...PC will prolly again get the lion's share of AAA titles, and superior versions at that. it's a good call.

also:

Kotaku: If I’m playing a single player game, do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks?

Harrison: I believe it’s 24 hours.

Kotaku: I’d have to connect online once every day.

Harrison: Correct.

...so not always online, but once-a-day online? phil you have not gotten better at this since leaving sony man

The 360 is an excellent console. And I'm being fucked in the ass for buying digital content for it. Same with PS3.

I kind of trusted that when they started the initiative with this sort of thing they would have the foresight and the decency to let us keep it, tied to our profile, across multiple platform generation. To the defenders: you can't site precedent because there is none. The digital console game market was nonexistent before this gen.

Not even taking console death into consideration, eventually those servers will be shut down. It's becoming more and more apparent that I spent thousands of dollars to rent games.

So fuck these guys. Sony is a gang of scum fuck and Microsoft are a wagon of cunts. I want no part in them.

Bookmarked for a dramatic reading when I get one of them on launch day. *sigh*

• Upvote 1

Why wait? :troll:

I'm still holding out hope that PS4's cloud will include a nice backlog of old games, and I'm even more foolishly optimistic that it will remember our PSN purchases and allow those to carry over.

It would be really awesome if all of us could get on one console this gen. I really like the idea of hondonians watching each other play on the PS4 online and being able to help each other out that way through the network.

oh, that newtype

Rpzviro.jpg

And I'm being fucked in the ass for buying digital content for it. Same with PS3.

you've heard my BC rants, you know you're preaching to the choir here...i really do hope both markets feel the effect of cutting off their clientele like that, i guess we'll see. i don't even know if PSN's huge security breached affected sales at this point or not.

axels - maybe, but while sony does take efforts - certainly more than say nintendo - to work stuff back in, i think it's like MS with 360 BC: expect the most popular stuff, and even then not a whole helluva lott've work done after the first year or so, since it's products they already sold.

unless yoshida's idea works out about a neftlix/rental sort've thing with those titles; if new money's involved, you can at least count on some stuff then. but yeah, 360 just got added to the pile of systems i can't ever sell since i wanna access this library for as long as i can. not that i'm eager to sell hardware anyway, but...i've only got so much shelf space, man.

From the gaf thread:

- Forced online activation for all games

- Complex used games system that is anti consumer

- Charged fee for playing used games on non linked profile

- Console that needs to be connected to internet every 24 hours to play games

- Very few games shown at the event

- Massive emphasis on TV, services and non game related stuff

- Rumoured (relatively weak) hardware confirmed

- DDR3 confirmed instead of GDDR5

- Only 5GB of the 8GB ram available for games

- No self publishing for games

- Epic PR disaster with conflicting reports from Microsoft and it's heads

- Xbox support on twitter going AWOL

- Microsoft's failed attempts to correct PR with contradicting FAQ's, vague responses, misinformation, lies etc

- Kinect needed to be plugged in for Xbox One to function

- Over emphasis on Kinect

- Always watching and on Kinect is a tad creepy

- Xbox One having non-replaceable Hard Drive's

- Xbox One not being backwards compatible with the 360

- Xbox One being called Xbox One...

- And more...?

More to add:

- Live TV available in US only at launch, requires separate device

- Lots of announced services are for US only

- Only HDMI for output, leaving people unable to use composite or component cables

- Console quite large whilst still also using quite a large external power brick

the OS thing confuses my balls off but you know it's gonna be windows 8 so i'm assuming there's a metro form and something for people who hate that.

also i read some guys saying to expect an internal power brick this time but that can't be right