Hondo's Bar

XBONE

Newtype

well, mainstream press is eating it up, for what that's worth

more details from GAF:

https://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...c-whitten.aspx

• They want to implement live streaming of games. Think its a "really cool" idea.
  • Pre-owned games can be sold.
  • Hints that they wanted always-online to be 24/7 in order for the Cloud computing to enhance games through e.g. extra enemy A.I and increase the field of vision in games. Cloud seems to be huge for them.

Basically, he is asked if MS have made it mandatory to always be connected when playing offline, or whether they'll leave it up to the publishers. He confirms the latter, then goes on to speak about the benefits of an always-online system for gameplay. When Kotaku asked him a similar question earlier, he said he "hopes" publishers implement this.
  • Acknowledges Sony has faster RAM but can't do comparison as he doesn't know the full capability of their hardware/OS, but believes XB1 games will look just as good if not better
  • Acknowledges around 3GB of RAM reserved for OS
  • Xbox Live fundamentals will remain the same
  • Nothing concrete in terms of creating a backlog for 360 games to be made compatible on XB1, but if it does happen, the popular 360 games will be there first
  • Plan to make family households with multiple consoles/accounts have access to more content in response to whether they will be discounts for family Gold members
  • Nothing to confirm yet on what cable companies will be compatible with XB1's TV/DVR functionality. Probably still negotiating.
  • Hints that no headset included with console. Megaton. Suggests Kinect will be default device acting as microphone

So, since it seems us non-Americans will be something of Xbox 360 refugees for a while, any chance this connect every day shit can be retconned into the 360 service agreement?

People who NEVER go online are fine, but often when I do go online I get a firmware upgrade and I could easily see them sneaking in a game-linked-to-account feature or connect daily feature once it's technically possible

So, since it seems us non-Americans will be something of Xbox 360 refugees for a while, any chance this connect every day shit can be retconned into the 360 service agreement?

People who NEVER go online are fine, but often when I do go online I get a firmware upgrade and I could easily see them sneaking in a game-linked-to-account feature or connect daily feature once it's technically possible

Any DD game you buy is already is linked to your gamertag account but you should be fine when it comes to the rest of the BS.

One of the ways they are talking about the system being always online is that it uses cloud processors to help process data in game to reduce load times. So you can now claim always on connectivity as a feature of making games run better.

EA said the same thing about Simcity and it was all a big lie.

yeah, but it's weird that the common line for that is "enhanced AI"....i mean, if you're gonna lie, keep it simple and just say load times/rendering etc, AI is such a weird one when you can just unplug & see it hasn't changed

crap missed this post

yeah, jumbie if this were to happen we'd post about it here & id give you a heads-up, but it's very much not likely - often support dries up real quick when a new system is launching/out, and i wanna say MS has done this but i know both sony & nintendo in the recent past have released 1 last firmware for both their systems that basically stopped breaking/blocking homebrew, presumably because why leave patchy security fixes on a system where nothing's sold anymore...anyway, you get my point, it'd take more time/$ to back-implement this than it'd at all be worth for them

Ok, so it seems to me that if the intent was to prevent piracy, Microsoft was really close to a system that would have been pretty effective without screwing people out of legitimate ways to game. Each game comes with a unique code and you have to connect to the internet to activate the code and connect it to your account, but you don't have to stay connected while playing like with the new Sim City's DRM. Pirates might find a way around it, but it sounds like it could be effective. Now, if they allowed you to go into your account and delete the game from you profile, and then the game could either reuse the old authorization code on another Xbox One, or maybe it would spit out a new authorization code, WITHOUT ADDITIONAL COST, then I think you would have a system that Microsoft would have a strong argument for saying they are just trying to protect themselves from piracy, but that they are NOT eliminating people's rights to rent games, resell and buy used games, or lend and borrow games among friends.

This is a system that clearly says that they don't like the way people have been legally using their media because they don't make money with every way people legally use their media.

Edited by Reverend Jax

yeah, we're hearing conflicting reports even now - president of Gamestop says they'll be involved in reselling codes or something like that, and the online thing might be once a day to verify. either way, i don't expect GS will be cut out of the equation, but none of this is good for consumers. guess we'll know more by/at E3.

iBzvb2JSpQNRM.gif

The 360 is an excellent console. And I'm being fucked in the ass for buying digital content for it. Same with PS3.

I kind of trusted that when they started the initiative with this sort of thing they would have the foresight and the decency to let us keep it, tied to our profile, across multiple platform generation. To the defenders: you can't site precedent because there is none. The digital console game market was nonexistent before this gen.

Not even taking console death into consideration, eventually those servers will be shut down. It's becoming more and more apparent that I spent thousands of dollars to rent games.

The lack of compatibility for XBLA and PSN titles in the next gen really upsets and moreover, baffles me. I've invested quite a lot in both and it seems like MS and Sony are making a concerted effort to partition and exclude the libraries. We have confirmed continuity of accounts (a aspect of console gaming with no previous precident) across gens, and PSN store and XBOX live arcade will continue, why compartimentalize the titles?

This is particularly baffling on Sony's end on account of the Vita. Currently, the Vita shares content between PS3 and PSP, accessing essentially the same store and digital library, with cross-buy and cross-play titles becoming more and more frequent. With the Vita just at the beginning of it's cycle and being touted as being deeply incorporated with the PS4 ecosystem, it seems strange to deliniate network titles in such a way, almost like they are going out of thier way to do so.

I'm picturing a 3 pool Venn diagram, where PS3 content can be shared with the Vita, and the Vita can share with PS4 content, but NOOO, the PS3 and PS4 can't share content, zat iz not allowed!

Edited by C_U_SPACECOWBOY

The lack of compatibility for XBLA and PSN titles in the next gen really upsets and moreover, baffles me. I've invested quite a lot in both and it seems like MS and Sony are making a concerted effort to partition and exclude the libraries. We have confirmed continuity of accounts (a aspect of console gaming with no previous precident) across gens, and PSN store and XBOX live arcade will continue, why compartimentalize the titles?

This is particularly baffling on Sony's end on account of the Vita. Currently, the Vita shares content between PS3 and PSP, accessing essentially the same store and digital library, with cross-buy and cross-play titles becoming more and more frequent. With the Vita just at the beginning of it's cycle and being touted as being deeply incorporated with the PS4 ecosystem, it seems strange to deliniate network titles in such a way, almost like they are going out of thier way to do so.

I'm picturing a 3 pool Venn diagram, where PS3 content can be shared with the Vita, and the Vita can share with PS4 content, but NOOO, the PS3 and PS4 can't share content, zat iz not allowed!

Just to chime in as nick and I have long talks about this. I was never really surprised by this, I hoped they would find a way but frankly it came down to cost, as best as I can guess it would add probably around 100 buck extra for them to include a cell and rsx(as there is no way to emulate the ps3 at this time) if they did that then you might as well write the ps4 obit cause it would cost too much. Now Yoshida(head of sony studios) did say that it would be easy to emu ps1 and ps2 games but they didn't want to talk about it yet. I think you'll be able to play ps1, ps2, and I"m hoping psp games on the ps4, the only way we are getting ps3 games will be through gaikai and we'll see how that goes.

Look I would love to have BC here but I honestly don't know how you get there from an engineering standpoint while keeping the cost in the place you want it and having the level of power to be next gen. I do think if they get the Gaikai thing going it's the best compromise as long as they don't make you rebuy your games.

I do think if they get the Gaikai thing going it's the best compromise as long as they don't make you rebuy your games.

Hey man, that solves my issues. But if that was the case they probably would have been real proud of it by now. I firmly believe that the PR people are shitting their hats over this poppycock, and they would happily extend any olive branch they could.

So, if they're even available, I'm confident that you WILL have to purchase them again. That's not a compromise at all.

For the record, I'm not talking about disc backwards compat at all. I understand and have come to expect that that's a significant issue. I'm talking about live arcade and PSN games. I refuse to believe that running Braid is some insane hardware conflict that would require hundreds of dollars per unit. It requires a fucking patch. They just don't give a shit enough to make it happen.

So, can somebody explain this pc gaming thing to me?

It's pretty cool! I got a new PC a few years ago and I was still able to play Minesweeper.

For the record, I'm not talking about disc backwards compat at all. I understand and have come to expect that that's a significant issue. I'm talking about live arcade and PSN games. I refuse to believe that running Braid is some insane hardware conflict that would require hundreds of dollars per unit. It requires a fucking patch. They just don't give a shit enough to make it happen.

THIS.

This is what I was trying to get across in my post above. I'd love disc based BC, but I understand the technical hurdles involved in making that a reality. People have been claiming that disc based BC and digital BC are equally difficult to implement, and therefore, not worth the time, but I don't buy it. Many of the titles on XBLA and PSN are ports anyway, initially developed for PC or some other achitecture. I brought up the PSN PS3/PSP/PSV example because it's already doing what most people are suggesting. You have an item A on the market place, it's compatible with systems X and Y. You buy it for one you've got it on all. Then the system Z comes along (the Vita in my PSN example), well software A doesn't initially work with Vita, but a few weeks later, it does, and you can upload it to your Vita at no additional charge. This has worked in exactly this fashion for a number of network, PSone, and PSP titles (Sound Shapes, Retro city rampage, nearly all PSone titles, etc.). This way you have a persistant digital library which people will feel confident in investing in.