Hondo's Bar

Daredevil (Netflix)

Right, so most casting has been completed for Daredevil.

Daredevil/MattMurdock - Chralie Cox (Boardwalk Empire)

charlie-cox-in-daredevil-netflix-series-first-photos-03.jpg

Kingpin/Wilson Fisk - Vincent D’Onofrio (Full Metal Jacket)

SC_Vincent-2.jpeg

?/Elektra/Elektra Natchios - Rosario Dawson (Sin City)

3906752-76_1rosario_dawson_3.jpg

Foggy Nelson - Elden Henson (The Mighty Ducks)

deborah-ann-woll-elden-henson-daredevil.jpg

Karen Page - Deborah Ann Woll (True Blood)

deborah-ann-woll-elden-henson-daredevil.jpg

Stick - Scott Glenn (Hunt For The Red October)

ScottGlenn_1175_4.jpg

Here's some deatils on the tone of the show.

"We're going for a very gritty, 1970's New York feel. We love the idea of beauty in the decay of the city, and Hell's Kitchen being a place that is both horrible and beautiful at the same time. That's why Matt Murdock loves it so much and wants to protect it."

Daredevil Netflix executive producer, Steven DeKnight sums up just how "adult" the series will be in terms of graphic content.

Less than Spartacus, more than SHIELD. RT @TimLydon0: What are you allowed to show on @Daredevil in terms of violence, swearing, etc? — Steven DeKnight (@stevendeknight) September 10, 2014

There will be blood. RT @haxelerator: Love your work, can't wait to see what you'll do with my favorite superhero this May! — Steven DeKnight (@stevendeknight) September 3, 2014

"With this version of Daredevil, we wanted it to be grounded, gritty, as realistic as we could portray. That naturally fits in with the Daredevil character. Matt Murdock, on a regular basis, would get the shit beat out of him. That’s one thing that makes him a great character. He’s not super strong. He’s not invulnerable. In every aspect, he’s a man that’s just pushed himself to the limits, he just has senses that are better than a normal humans. He is human. The other thing that really drew me to this character is that he’s one of the most morally grey of the heroes."

It's an interesting point, and one which DeKnight was quick to back up by looking back on Frank Miller's classic run, perhaps another hint that the series will be much closer to that in tone than Mark Waid's Eisner Award winning take."He’s a lawyer by day, and he’s taken this oath," the showrunner said of Matt Murdock in the series. "But every night he breaks that oath, and goes out and does very violent things. The image that always stuck in my mind was the Frank Miller Elektra run where he’s holding Bullseye over the street, and he lets Bullseye go because he doesn’t want Bullseye to ever kill anyone again. When I read that originally, when I was young, I’d never seen anything like that in comics. Superman scoops up the villain and puts them in jail. This time the hero didn’t do that. It was a morally grey ground that I found absolutely fascinating. There are two sides to this character. He’s literally one bad day away from becoming the The Punisher! Frank Castle went just a little bit further than he did. Daredevil has no qualms about beating the hell out of somebody. He’s not going to tie them up with his webs! He’ll come close to killing somebody. And it’s that fine edge—Why doesn’t he go all the way? I really liked the flawed heroes, the human heroes."

Talk then moved to some of the other aspects of the series, including his role as showrunner and how much he interacts with members of the crew. "Usually I’ll talk to the director if I think something is a little bit hinky," he revealed. "On Daredevil we have a phenomenal cinematographer, Matt Lloyd. He was just nominated for an Emmy for Fargo. His work is just gorgeous, so usually I have nothing to say but, "That looks fantastic!'" Those of you who watched that superb 10-part series starring Sherlock's Martin Freeman will know just how great it looked, and Lloyd being part of Daredevil is just another reason to be excited for this new take on the character.

Of course, the fact that the series will be shown on Netflix means that there are things it can do which wouldn't be possible on a network like ABC. So, how has their involvement ultimately changed the direction of Daredevil? "Netflix has been fantastic. They are phenomenally supportive of the creatives. How much freedom will I have? This is a bit of a different scenario because it’s a Marvel property. Once you have an IP like that, there are restrictions that you have to accept. I’m fine with that, I totally understand. I’ll push it as far as I can, of course, but I also respect the fact that this character has been around for decades. Overall I’ve been surprised at how willing everyone is to take a really fresh look and really push what we’re doing."

"I honestly have no idea," DeKnight added when talk turned to where the series could go in future. "That’s so far above my pay grade. Making it even more complicated is the fact that [Daredevil] is one part of the bigger plan— Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and then The Defenders. How that all fits together, and whether or not there will be a second season of this show—or if it will fold into the others—are question nobody really has answers to yet." However, while a second season may be far from confirmed as of right now, the showrunner did reveal that they have at least been talking about where things could go after the first run of episodes. "I can say we’ve been talking about some very cool stuff for Season Two that, good God, I can’t even hint at! It’s something that would be just fantastic to work on!"

• 4 weeks later...

Title card and synopsis.

Bzo1sEMCMAISH5q.jpg

"Marvel's Daredevil" is a live action series that follows the journey of attorney Matt Murdock, who in a tragic accident was blinded as a boy but imbued with extraordinary senses. Murdock sets up practice in his old neighborhood of Hell's Kitchen, New York where he now fights against injustice as a respected lawyer by day and masked vigilante at night.

And some (hopefully) early concept art.

543980f75d2da.jpg

More casting news

Vondie Curtis-Hall - Ben Urich

Vondie+Curtis+Hall+Academy+Oscar+Night+Viewing+WE88OPfiBJZl.jpg

Ayelet Zurer - Vanessa Fisk

Ayelet%20Zurer-Hot-Image.jpg

Bob Gunton - The Owl

imdbpic.jpg

Toby Leonard - Wesley (Fisk's right hand man (from Born Again))

Toby_Leonard_Moore.jpg

Oh and Rosario Dawson is playing

Claire Temple "a Nurse who works at Night".
So, more than likely Night Nurse.

Cast Interviews as well

I tell ya, Gunton really has me (even more) excited. Talking about how none of the "bad guys" see themselves as such and how they're layered, multi dimensional characters. And comparing the show to "Colourised Film Noir"?

PYjHq.jpg

And finally, footage description. Very mild spoilers, but just in case.

A woman slowly opens the door to an apartment (It's Page), there's blood on the floor and the room is dark. She fins something in a vent. Someone sneaks up behind her and attacks her, slamming her into the wall and knocking her to the ground. And in comes Daredevil, in what looks like is likely an early makeshift costume - yeah, it's all black, straight up ninja lookng. Big fight scene commences, and both men go crashing through a window onto the rain-soaked pavement below.

After hitting the pavement out the window, we see a child asleep at a table. It's young Matt. His dad says, "get up, mtt." He tries to get him studying more. The young Matt is already blind, and touches his dad's beaten and bloody face. "Come on, Matty, get to work." And we see the adult Matt in his makeshift costume get back up. He starts to fight the perp again, using sounds to get the advantage. Karen Page comes outside and says "Who? What the hell?"

And then, a clip of Vanessa and Wilson Fisk meeting for the first time. She is a gallery worker and he's looking at a piece of art. There is very interesting cinematography. Close shots of Fisk's fingers twitching and his cuff link. It's a very soft, nuanced scene - not something we've seen a lot of in these types of movies and shows.

Loeb then introduced a clip of the offices of Nelson and Murdock. Matt, Karen, and Foggy are sitting down for a dinner that Karen made them after they successfully got her off for a crime. "I did notice you could use some help around here," Page said, and was hired by the duo.

Read more at http://www.comicbook...QVzbzoWWrxtJ.99

Final update, I have honest to God butterflys in my stomach right now. I haven't been this excited for a comic book adaptation since The Dark Knight.

NYCC '14: Full Recap Of Marvel And Netflix's DAREDEVIL Panel Reveals More Details

109121.jpg

In the final piece of Daredevil news from this year's New York Comic Con, we have plenty of details on the Marvel and Netflix series, including the characterisation of Matt Murdock and The Kingpin, casting for the other shows, and how it will all play out like a 13-hour movie...

Follow Josh:

CBMBTNS.png twitterBTNS.png googleBTNS.png

By Josh Wilding - 10/11/2014

Netflix_Daredevil.jpg?1413058433

The panel kicked off with Marvel's Head of Television Jeph Loeb confirming that five shows will air on Netflix; Daredevil, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and ultimately The Defenders. Interestingly, he added: "Just to clarify - neither the role of Jessica Jones nor of Luke Cage has been cast. Anything else is just a rumor." Why no mention of Iron Fist? It could be that we'll hear some news about casting for that role sooner rather than later seeing as there was no mention of him from Loeb. Back to Daredevil though, and Loeb shed some light on how the role of Matt Murdock was cast...before they even got the rights back from Fox! "One day the phone rings, and Joe Quesada says to me, 'I found Matt Murdock.' I didn't know what he meant. 'There's this actor. He's gonna be on Daredevil.' and I said to him, 'We don't have that property right now.' He said, 'Well we will.' The person Joe picked out that day is the person that we cast, and that is Charlie Cox."

d1AhMHs.jpg

Showrunner Steven DeKnight also shed some light on where they're turning to for inspiration, and while Frank Miller and John Romita Jr.'s Man Without Fear is clearly influencing the series, so too are two fan-favourite runs on the Daredevil comic book. "My favorite stories were the Miller run and the Bendis run - you'll really see that in the gritty tone of the show." Vincent D'Onofrio meanwhile had plenty to say about the direction they're taking The Kingpin in. "Our Wilson Fisk is a child and he's a monster. Everything he does comes from his foundation of morality inside himself. Meeting Vanessa, the one thing she does for him so far is brings him out of the shadows." He praised how personal they make it all and said it's a blast so far." This will clearly be an origin story for that villain as well, with DeKnight making it clear we could end up rooting for both characters as we see the, "moral grey area of Matt Murdock, being a lawyer by day and a vigilante at night. We lean into him being one bad day from becoming Frank Castle. With Wilson Fisk, you'll hear an idea and go 'that's actually a pretty good idea.' You'll root for him sometimes."

British actor Charlie Cox will play the titular character, and Loeb was quick to praise his work ethic so far. "It's a real challenge, there are so many aspects to Matt. There's the physicality, the blindness; we're making a show about emotion and turmoil. We're meeting a man who believes in law and justice by day and at night takes the law into his own hands and decides what justice is himself," he reveals. "He's battling with that concept. We see a bit of Matt's father and who he wanted Matt to be. That's something that plays on Matt's mind a lot as well." Cox of course made a name for himself in Boardwalk Empire, and when one fan asked him how working on Daredevil differs to that HBO series, he revealed a little about how the series will play out in terms of being almost like a 13-hour movie for viewers. "Well, compared to a weekly show - we realized, ending with a cliffhanger is pointless. 'Oh, what happened?' and you click a button and find out! So I think more than anything else, it will feel like a 13 hour movie!" What do you think?

Read more at http://www.comicbook...496LAcuQFEQx.99

Edited by alive she cried

• 2 weeks later...

Charlie Cox Says DAREDEVIL Is "Much Darker Than Anything I've Ever Seen Marvel Do Before"

109661.jpg

While speaking to reporters at the Theory of Everything premiere in New York last night, the actor who'll bring the Man Without Fear to Netflix spoke about Marvel's dark vision for the show, as well as Matt Murdock's addiction to fighting crime.

Follow Mark "RorMachine":

CBMBTNS.png twitterBTNS.png

By Mark "RorMachine" Cassidy - 10/21/2014

Last week at NYCC, we all got our first glimpse at former Boardwalk Empire alum Charlie Cox as both Matt Murdock, and suited up as his superhero alter ego, Daredevil. We haven't actually heard that much from the actor in regards to taking on the role, but he shared a few details with reporters at the Theory of Everything premiere last night. Cox says that "it's great fun, but it also comes with a great deal of responsibility," and suggests that although he had fun at the event, he wasn't quite prepared for how much the character means to the passionate fans in attendance at NYCC last week. He also spoke a little about his preparation for the role, and that he believes Daredevil will be very different from anything we've seen from Marvel thus far.

cox2.jpg

"I've read comics after comics after comics — I've never read so many comics in my life, and we're finding moments from the comics to reference in the show. We're trying to make a show that's new and much, much darker than anything I've ever seen Marvel do before."

Of course we know the most famous incarnations of Daredevil always depict the blind vigilante as a pretty gritty character, and it seems the Netflix show won't be shying away from that. "The concept that he can't stop," Cox explained when pressed to expand on what will make this dark take different from other Marvel projects. "He's going out and he's taking the law into his own hands, and he doesn't know if he can stop. He might be addicted to it." Are you pleased that they'll be sticking close to the character's roots? Or were you hoping for the slightly lighter tone of Mark Waid's recent run for example? Sound off below.

Read more at http://www.comicbook...DlJTvkvFOvF0.99

Edited by alive she cried

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We gots a teaser, trailer drops tomorrow.

Also, Charlie Cox describes how the powers are being portrayed.

"We had to adapt certain things for the purpose of story telling. Like for example, and I'm making this up so there are no spoilers here, there is a scene where I come into the room, and lets say there are guns all over the floor on one side of the room and drugs on the other side of the room. I'm just making this up, I promise I'm just making this up. So lets say that’s the scene.

I come into the room, and I [Daredevil] can pick up on those things, based on a combination of his senses, smell, gunpowder in the air, taste of cocaine in the air or whatever, he can sense those things. But you can’t tell that story on camera without having a camera move that goes to them. Daredevil wouldn't need to look in that direction in order to sense those objects, but the camera needs to. So we had to come up with a way where he has to focus on things in order to kind of sense them, and by focusing he kind of cocks his head towards what it is he’s trying to get a sense of, trying to kind of create an image in his mind of what it is, so we can tell that story."

• Upvote 1

We spoke with Marvel’s Daredevil executive producer/showrunner Steven S. DeKnight (Spartacus) about the trailer, and he gave us insight on several key Daredevil aspects we see in the footage.

The Actor Without Fear

MattMurdock-720x405.jpg

Charlie Cox is front and center in the trailer as Matt Murdock/Daredevil and DeKnight spoke about what made the actor right for the role.

DeKnight: We had all loved Charlie on Boardwalk Empire. We knew that he had the charm and the charisma but also could go to a darker place. When he came in for his audition, he just had a fascinating take on the character. It wasn’t quite the direction we were going in but it was so nuanced and well thought out that we called him back in and we talked to him and made some adjustments and he made fantastic adjustments and he had such a depth of character that we really responded to. He can exude such inner turmoil and pain that is really vital to Matt Murdock, not to mention the fact that when you’re looking for a lead, you really want number one on the call sheet to be somebody that people respect and want to be around for 14 hours a day and Charlie is just the nicest guy in the world.

The Catholic Devil

Priest-720x405.jpg

The trailer uses Matt in a confessional as a framing device, reflecting the Catholic upbringing the character has in the comics.

DeKnight: I think it’s vital to the character. Matt Murdock is, I think, one of the most, if not the most, religious characters in the Marvel Universe, with the heroes. His Catholicism is so much part of his being and part of his conflict, I think it would be incredibly disingenuous to attempt to do the show where that’s not a big part of it.

The Costume

DD-Window-720x405.jpg

Fans have noted that the all-black costume Matt Murdock wears in the series as Daredevil is not at all the familiar red, horned outfit we picture Daredevil in – though it does have its roots in the comics, in the origin story The Man Without Fear.

DeKnight: Really, the reason we start with this version -- which is hugely influenced by Man Without Fear -- is for two reasons. One, this really is the beginning, the formation of Matt Murdock a Daredevil. On the flip side, it’s the formation of Wilson Fisk becoming Kingpin. It’s very much a parallel arc. We didn’t want to start him in the [red] suit. We wanted the early days of him figuring out what he was doing and making mistakes and getting the crap beat out of him on a regular basis. His suit, which we call his vigilante outfit, in the beginning - we tried practically everything, design-wise. We experimented with a lot of different head pieces. One version was a ski mask with the eyes sewn shut. We tried everything until we found something that just felt right. And also, really going back to that Man Without Fear, I can’t say where his costume ends up, where it goes, but there is definitely an evolution.

The Kingpin

Kingpin-720x405.jpg

We only get a glimpse of Wilson Fisk/The Kingpin in the trailer, but don’t worry, he’s crucial to the story.

DeKnight: When we first meet him, he's a very mysterious figure, as you can gather from the teaser. Absolutely, a lynchpin of Season 1. I think there’s a no better way to start of the series than a formative Matt Murdock coming up against a formative Wilson Fisk. We were so incredibly lucky to get Vincent D’Onofrio, who is not only a phenomenal actor and an amazing person to be around, so very generous as an actor and performer, but I don’t know if there’s another human being on the planet that embodies WIlson Fisk, physically, like in the comics. I think, honestly, he is as close as you’re going to get, unless you’re doing an animated series. We just marveled. We were like holy s**t, it is Wilson Fisk come to life! Even in the teaser, when you just see him from behind, standing in front of that painting, you just get the feeling that it’s Wilson Fisk, the future Kingpin. Fisk plays a crucial role in Season 1, as the adversary of Matt Murdock. Also, on the flip side, Matt Murdock is the fly in Fisk’s ointment. What I love about this show is we’re able to explore some gray areas of who is really good, who is really bad, and which person is really better for the city in the long run. It's a question we really examine.

Karen and Foggy

Karen-and-Foggy-720x405.jpg

Two core members of Daredevil’s supporting cast, Foggy Nelson (Elden Henson) and Karen Page (Deborah Ann Woll), appear in the trailer. Karen, notably, seems to be going through some tough times…

DeKnight: I think Deborah Ann Woll said it best at New York Comic Con - that Karen doesn’t so much get into trouble, she is trouble. With Deborah Ann Woll, I could not think of a more perfect Karen Page. Her performance is just phenomenal and again, when we were casting, first and foremost we had to find a great Matt Murdock and then of course if you’re going to have a great Matt Murdock, you have to have a great Foggy Nelson, which we were very fortunate to get Elden Henson who works perfectly. We called a lot of fantastic actors but in the big picture, it takes more than just a fantastic actor. You have to have great chemistry with the other person. So having Charlie and Elden work so well together and then the magic to that relationship of course is that then you need a Karen Page that works equally with both of them. It’s all a bit of alchemy. I couldn’t be more thrilled with Charlie, Deborah Ann, and Elden. ust the way they come together and bring the characters to life, and bring them to life in a very real, human way.

Stick

Stick-720x405.jpg

Scott Glenn plays Matt Murdock’s blind martial arts mentor.

DeKnight: We spent weeks and weeks talking about Stick and who do we get and I had been saying coming into the show, I was obsessed with getting Sonny Chiba and mixing it up but that didn’t quite work out. We had mentioned in the [writers] room Scott Glenn and I don’t know why it fell by the wayside but I was watching The Leftovers and I saw him and I believe he is in his earlier 70’s and in better shape than me or anybody I know. So I suggested everybody take a look at The Leftovers and his performance and everybody was on board. We reached out to his people and were delighted. First, I sent an email to my old buddy Damon Lindelof. I just wanted to make sure he was not shooting [The Leftovers]. I didn’t want to step on his toes and once that was cleared up, we reached out and he was very interested. He read the script and really liked it and said, "Yeah, I’d love to do it." I can tell you, one of the highlights of my career was getting on the phone with Scott Glenn, because he’s exactly how you would imagine him. He’s just a fantastic guy. He’s so great to work with. His portrayal of Stick... He’s perfect in that role.

A Hero Who Gets Hurt

DDBlood-720x405.jpg

The trailer's final image, of Daredevil on the ground, beaten and bloody, is one that DeKnight feels is important to who this hero is.

DeKnight: I always loved in the comics that also this is a guy that has heightened sense but no super powers. This is a guy who’s pushing himself to the limit who can get hurt and can get killed... I’m hugely influenced by the Frank Miller runs that I grew up with, where he was constantly getting the crap kicked out of him. Again, obviously there’s a bit of a heightened sense of reality that he can do what he can do and not end up in the hospital every other day. But we also touch upon why that is. Really, it’s like Batman without the money. He is just determined. It’s sheer force of will that keeps him going when a normal man would fall over and a lot of that I think, also in the Matt Murdock mythos, comes from his father and being a boxer and that kind of thing, where you just don’t quit.

i like a lot of what i read there - the catholicism bit fits for this early on Miller-esque period, and i'm pretty much going in expecting Man Without Fear/Year One, but hoping for Born Again in the next season or two.

I also love the fuck out of the fact they originally wanted Sonny Chiba to play Stick. these casting calls are really coming together for me, i need to check my hype levels though.

• 3 weeks later...

Eight New Stills From Marvel's DAREDEVIL Series Feature 'Karen Page,' 'Night Nurse,' And More

115866.jpg

Revealing a first official look at Deborah Ann Woll as Karen Page, the latest Daredevil images feature Matt Murdock costumed in blazing action as well as in post-battle, Foggy Nelson and more. Check it out

By DCMarvelFreshman - 2/26/2015

Featured in the latest issue of Empire magazine are eight new stills from Marvel's Daredevil Netflix series, and they've all found a way online via Tumblr. Featuring Matt Murdock (Charlie Cox) in and out of costume, as well as post-battle alongside Claire Temple aka Night Nurse (Rosario Dawson), and pre-battle with Karen Page (Deborah Ann Woll) and Foggy Nelson (Elden Henson), the images also offer a familiar look at Wilson Fisk (Vincent D'Onofrio), the Kingpin. Check them out below!

VccxCWB.jpg

yAFjW5D.jpg

raVenwk.jpg

OUsKnMA.jpg

FHFLoIz.jpg

t3s3ZCm.jpg

k2XVcny.jpg

GIm9esO.jpg

• Upvote 1