Hondo's Bar

Captain Marvel

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Trolls Are Already Review Bombing Captain Marvel on Rotten Tomatoes

I expect it, and yet it still stings to see how much we hate women in this country. And people of color (what happened to Black Panther is also mentioned in the article). God, it sucks. Fuck these assholes. All that matters is the box office, though, so let's all be sure to throw money at Captain Marvel! Take your kids. Take your friends. If it's great, see it twice! 

• Problematic ™ 1

As always, it's disheartening to see these imbeciles lash out. But like we saw with Black Panther, there's no risk of this tiny minority actually having a tangible negative impact, and if anything (as is often the case) protesting something just brings it extra attention, and raises it's chance of succeeding.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

So this was a very interesting glimpse behind the "MCU Machine." I know that with the inter-connectivity of 23 films over 10 years, there is going to be less room for an MCU film that's truly a "director's vision." Thus why some of the directors that helped build the MCU like Favreau, Branagh, and Whedon likely didn't return to direct. However, this one in particular sounds like it was way more of a product on an assembly line than even other recent films like Black Panther and the Russo's Avengers films. When I watch behind the scenes features and interviews with other MCU films, they don't seem to have been put together by committee to the degree this film was.