Hondo's Bar

Ash vs. The Evil Dead

Keth

Looks like it's really, actually gonna happen.

Sam Raimi announced at Comic-Con this year that he, his brother Ivan and Bruce Campbell were working on an Evil Dead spin-off TV series. They offered no further details, but now we know that US cable channel Starz has ordered the show.

Their regular cohort, producer Rob Tapert is also aboard the show, which will see Campbell back as Ash and returning to his usual Deadite-thwacking ways for a weekly dose of madness across 10 episodes of 30 minutes each, some time next year. Raimi, who will direct the pilot and naturally set the tone for the series is at work on the first script with Ivan, and they’ve also hired Chuck veteran Tom Spezialy to oversee the show as executive producer.

Evil Dead has always been a blast. Bruce, Rob, and I are thrilled to have the opportunity to tell the next chapter in Ash’s lame, but heroic saga. With his chainsaw arm and his ‘boomstick,’ Ash is back to kick some monster butt. And brother, this time there’s a truckload of it,” says Raimi in a statement.

Campbell is also thrilled to be returning to his signature role. "I'm really excited to bring this series to the Evil Dead fans worldwide – it's going to be everything they have been clamouring for: serious Deadite ass-kicking and plenty of outrageous humour,” said Campbell.

Starz feels like a good fit for the franchise, which has always prided itself on OTT gore moments and madness: with fewer creative restrictions than broadcast TV across the pond, and an established working relationship with Raimi and co after Spartacus, it sounds like Ash’s continuing adventures are in good hands (or hand plus chainsaw?) and will hopefully make it across the ocean not long after the show’s US premiere.

This sounds promising!

Edited by Axels

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

3X0E89X.jpg

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3351175/first-look-ash-vs-evil-dead-still-reveals-ash-chainsaw-s-mart/

[Ash is] the guy who yet again is accidently responsible for unleashing the evil dead back upon the world. “He’s the only one stupid enough to really tamper with those spirits,” Sam Raimi, who directed the first episode of the new series, tells
EW
. “And he does. But he’s also still a really good monster fighter. So, he’s also going to be kicking some deadite buttocks, if you’ll pardon the French.”

“It’s The Searchers with carnage and mayhem,” adds Campbell of the newest chapter in the Evil Dead saga. “I’m relegated a little bit into the John Wayne mode these days with my team—the young, virile, evil fighters who will pair up with Ash and take on this nemesis: this never ending, ever evolving nemesis.”

In the 10-episode “Ash vs Evil Dead” series premiering this fall, Campbell will be reprising his role as Ash, the stock boy, aging lothario and chainsaw-handed monster hunter who has spent the last 30 years avoiding responsibility, maturity and the terrors of the Evil Dead. When a Deadite plague threatens to destroy all of mankind, Ash is finally forced to face his demons –personal and literal. Destiny, it turns out, has no plans to release the unlikely hero from its “Evil” grip.”

• 3 months later...

I don't have Starz, either - or cable for that matter. BUT - I caught the first episode on Starz.com Just checked - it's still up!

WELCOME BACK, ASHLEY!!!

Evil Dead superfan, over here. Got that foam Necronomicon DVD case, a nice Movie Maniacs Army of Darkness Ash figure, the Evil Dead Companion Book from the 90s, the games...I fought through the pain of that first, awful PS1 game all the way to the end - just to see where the story / mythology went. Hardcore, passionate fan of the series! Raimi was a such huge influence and inspiration to me as a young cinema freak.

Totally agree, a bit much on the cg blood. I thought it was totally unnecessary in a lot of scenes - they totally could've gone practical in a number of shots, easily.

Do you think they're discounting Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness? They wouldn't, right? They probably just glossed over that and will save that for later. Would totally like to hear how Ash repaired the Delta after modifying it and having it sleep for 600 years. Status of the Knowby cabin?

giphy.gif

EDIT: Looked it up - they can't reference Army of Darkness 'cuz Universal hold the rights to that movie.

So how does Ash have the Book of the Dead? Evil Dead 2 happened 'cuz...his hand is gone. 1st movie, he burned the book. Only pages were in part 2 - the ones that Annie brought to the cabin.

Lucy Lawless has not aged a day. She looked great. I'm dying to see more of the show...but, I'll probably have to wait till it's on bluray. Don't know if Starz.com is gonna host the entire series.

Edited by Little Nemo McFly

• 2 weeks later...

First episode was classic Raimi, and I loved every second of it. Second and third episodes were good, too. The guy with the Kramer hair & hipster stache was not my favorite, but he's starting to grow on me. The cop and chica are a bit bland as characters, but I guess you need characters to offset the outlandishness of Ash, though.

And is my memory of the original films faltering, or did they retcon the origin of the Necronomican a bit in episode three? I don't remember anything about "neither human nor demon" Dark One's in the film.

I don't think they ever gave the Necronomicon a proper origin story. Then again, the whole series is one big retcon with each entry. I do wish they would reference Army of Darkness at least a LITTLE. Like Ash having his steampunk gauntlet would come in handy.

Edited by Axels

They didn't talk much about the dark ones in the films other than briefly mentioning them in the opening of Evil Dead 2.

They can reference Ash going back to medieval times since it happened at the end of Evil Dead 2 but any specific thing that happened in Army of Darkness is trapped behind rights issues with Universal so we won't be seeing a gauntlet hand.

...They can reference Ash going back to medieval times since it happened at the end of Evil Dead 2 but any specific thing that happened in Army of Darkness is trapped behind rights issues with Universal so we won't be seeing a gauntlet hand.

Ohhhhh. Thanks for that info, Baytor. Like, NZA, I was wondering why AOD seemed to go unmentioned in the series thus far. I loved the Stooges/AOD homage they did in episode 1 in the stock room with Ash and the possessed doll though. Maybe we'll get more of these sprinkled throughout the series.

How many episodes is S1 slated for?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's Sam Rami ED, which is fantastic if you really love Sam Rami ED. - - mind you I was obsessed with those movies when I was a kid. I just still harbored some hope that the reboot movie series would continue.

Still, ED was a really fun ride and I look forward to S2