Hondo's Bar

Ash vs. The Evil Dead

Keth

Finally finished this. Definitely could have been better, but it could been much much worse. Season 2 should be fun.

Speaking of, we get to meet Ash's dad in the form of Lee Majors.

I agree there were some weak spots, and I don't feel like we got enough AOD Ash, but S1 really maintained the tone of the Raimi films throughout. And the last three episodes were pretty damned sweet. All was forgiven once they got to...

...the cabin. And the finale was especially fantastic. Tidal waves of blood, deadites, and Pablo puking up creepy black goo demon children = professional level win.

Other than NZ being a really mediocre substitute for Michigan, my main gripe with the series was the casting. Pablo is good, but the actresses playing Amanda and Kelly took a while to grow on me.Amanda never really got great in her performing until she became a deadite.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I sat through all 10 episodes last night - binged on the whole thing again this morning. Probably gonna throw it on again tonite as I do sum work. I thought it was excellent. I absolutely loved it.

My only critique...

That cop that was obsessed w/ finding Ash...in every scene - she looked like she just got up off of the make-up chair. The one thing in the entire run that stood out and I just couldn't shake - was that character. She looked so out of place and felt miscast.

In the first episode - after her deadite ordeal, she looked like she might be interesting. At the diner, after being 'dismissed from duty', she looked slightly disheveled, bordering on obsessing...then, in every subsequent appearance - she appeared like she just got outta the salon. I didn't get the obsessed / revenge-driven vibe from her...at all. She just made me frown whenever she appeared. It was like...'go away'. I groaned out loud when her opinion of Ash suddenly turned, flirting w/ him...eventually kissing him. Ugh. So happy when she got stabbed in the fucking neck!

Aside from that - it was just so awesome. Better than just an hour-and-half Evil Dead sequel. It was a several-hours-long-journey w/ Ashley J. Williams and it was fucking awesome. Best part of the season was...

...the return to the cabin, of course. I was so excited when they went back! I honestly expected just an episode dedicated to a cameo - but they spent episodes in there! For an epic finale! The only lull I felt - like, filler - was the 'stocking-up on ammo episode' w/ the military nuts.

But all around, I thought it was fantastic. I can nitpick the unnecessary cg-over-practical moments - but I kept telling myself...'this isn't a feature-film'. Overall, a worthy entry into the Evil Dead mythos. Bruce Campbell is so great in this. Man, he's just awesome. This was a great idea and they pulled it off.

gif-i-want-some-more-vampire.gif

I think the only references they can make to Ash's medieval exploit is what they showed in Evil Dead 2. Basically, his arrival.

They did reference the drawing of him as the 'hero from the sky' - which technically was in the pages Annie brought to the cabin in Evil Dead 2. They also showed drawings of medieval knights n' such during the end credits of each episode - which also technically, did appear at the end of the Evil Dead 2.

I think they just can't show footage from the film - which I think is fine, considering if you're an Evil Dead fan - you already have the movie and can live without a movie clip being shoved in there. I wouldn't be surprised if they do some sly reference in Season 2 like, 'I once got sent to medieval times...but I can't talk about that...just know I made it back.'

They're supposed to directly reference it though which will be cool. AoD is my favorite of the trilogy, which is unpopular I know. Weirdly it was the first one I saw too.

Dude, if he busts out his medieval gauntlet...that...would be...

TOTALLY WICKED!!!

Be-happy-Incredibles-Wicked.gif

I saw Army of Darkness first, too. Saw it when it first came out on video in like, '92-'93 - I was 11 or 12. I vividly remember the trailers for it when it was in theaters - still got comics w/ AoD ads...I rented it and after watching it for like, the thousandth time - I remember during the end credits - I noticed it said, 'footage from Evil Dead 2 courtesy of...' Blew my mind that the flashback footage at the beginning was actual movie footage. 'There's a movie that actually shows him losing his hand?! And it's Part 2?!'

My fav tho, probably is Evil Dead 2. I love the mix of gore and humor. I love all that Dead Alive / Ed and his Dead Mother...Troma stuff.

Plus...

DQ_v9K.gif

My fav tho, probably is Evil Dead 2. I love the mix of gore and humor. I love all that Dead Alive / Ed and his Dead Mother...Troma stuff.

I wanted to like Ed and His Dead Mother. I mean Buscemi, John Gries, John Glover, Ned Beatty, but the complete lack of even the smallest amount of blood just kind of makes it feel toothless.

(which I love, NOT ZOMBIES THO BAYTORS).

zom·bie

ˈzämbē/

noun

noun: zombie; plural noun: zombies

a corpse said to be revived by witchcraft, especially in certain African and Caribbean religions.

I wanted to like Ed and His Dead Mother. I mean Buscemi, John Gries, John Glover, Ned Beatty, but the complete lack of even the smallest amount of blood just kind of makes it feel toothless.

Yeah - that one's not really a splatfest. More dark comedy / horror - but, those are my kinda tastes. I really like horror w/ humor - I'm gonna put Gremlins n' Mars Attacks on the same boat. I'm also giving 'Bad Taste' an honorable mention.

Zombies? Eh...Deadites are more like people that are possessed by demons. AoD had freakin' skeletons running around - I think they'd be classified as 'resurrected though witchcraft'...

"Welcome back to the world of the living...now grab a shovel and get ta work!"

tumblr_inline_mueykeKHuQ1qkzgmz.jpg

I've been through this with Panch numerous times so I won't get too in-depth but with Ash and a certain character in the remake being the lone exceptions thanks to loopholes, when you become a deadite you die and your corpse is possessed by a Kandarian demon. The summoning ritual for the Kandarian demons is contained in a book of witchcraft from ancient Sumeria. The method of re-animation is unimportant, so is the state of a corpse. If you re-animate a corpse, it's a zombie. Frankenstein's monster = zombie, Mummy = zombie, Jason Voorhees = zombie. Vampires, depending on the folklore associated with the type = zombies, just of a sanguivorous subset. Deadites aren't just possessed human beings like Reagan McNeil, they're corpses. The movie is called Evil Dead, so zombies.

I find your Evil Dead knowledge to be very awesome.

The fact that Ash had become possessed and survived when a demon left his body (Evil Dead 2) when the sun began to rise - shows that possession doesn't equal death. The same thing happened w/ the goth chic in Ash vs Evil Dead - she was possessed by a big-deal demon (who apparently is unaffected by the sun or any 'santeria assaults') totally survived a demon exiting her. Ash never acted like 'it's too late' - or 'there's no surviving this'.

I've always had the impression that you can survive a possession in this series. The Evil does totally possess corpses in the series - I think Scotty was dead when he eventually became possessed in the first movie...same w/ Linda, who Ash refused to dismember when he buried her. Henrietta also, was dead n' buried in the fruit cellar.

I find your Evil Dead knowledge to be very awesome.

The fact that Ash had become possessed and survived when a demon left his body (Evil Dead 2) when the sun began to rise - shows that possession doesn't equal death. The same thing happened w/ the goth chic in Ash vs Evil Dead - she was possessed by a big-deal demon (who apparently is unaffected by the sun or any 'santeria assaults') totally survived a demon exiting her. Ash never acted like 'it's too late' - or 'there's no surviving this'.

I've always had the impression that you can survive a possession in this series. The Evil does totally possess corpses in the series - I think Scotty was dead when he eventually became possessed in the first movie...same w/ Linda, who Ash refused to dismember when he buried her. Henrietta also, was dead n' buried in the fruit cellar.

Yeah but The Kandarian demon that was in Ash only had hold of him for a few seconds before the sun came up so it didn't have time to take his soul. Somehow it built up his resistance so that he was able to drive it out later in the film.

Eligos wasn't a Kandarian demon, his possession of Kelly was different and she was never a deadite. That's why Ash felt she still had a chance.

Ash is the only character to ever actually survive a possession. I suppose Sheila did too but Army of Darkness played pretty fast and loose with those rules and I'm not even sure if she was a deadite or just possesses. Regardless of whether all features are zombies, all the other ones in the series have been. Henrietta, Cheryl, Scotty, Shelly, definitely Linda. All zombies.

Edited by Iambaytor

Yeah yeah, I still remember your bonkers made-up criteria for what is and isn't a zombie. But moving the goal posts just ignores the fact that zombies existed before Night of the Living Dead and the word zombie has its roots in West African mythology and refers to either a fetish or a god depending on who you ask.

Ash is the only character to ever actually survive a possession. I suppose Sheila did too but Army of Darkness played pretty fast and loose with those rules and I'm not even sure if she was a deadite or just possesses. Regardless of whether all features are zombies, all the other ones in the series have been. Henrietta, Cheryl, Scotty, Shelly, definitely Linda. All zombies.

nhr0qbimbje6xgvnjusf.jpg

...I'm not starting shit, I just love this movie too much.

(and "Come back to me" is one of the most powerful/amazing songs ever in a movie ever (ever ever ever). I will fight a bitch on that one)

Edited by Bindusara

Mia had to be brought back to life after having the demon removed via ceremony, she was a bigger loophole than Ash.

This is not the Bob Kane/Bill Finger argument, this is you coming up with a random criteria and acting like everyone else agrees with you. Romero has never said zombies are only made by science, he didn't even call his zombies zombies until other people did. It would be like me saying vampire movies were only about vampires if they were scientific ones like in The Strain or Blade.

Red Dead Redemption Zombie Nightmare, Flesheater, My Boyfriend's Back, Boy Eats Girl, Dead-Alive, Dead Heat, that football zombie book you like, Lollipop Chainsaw, Brian Keene's The Rising, Evil, The Video Dead, Cemetery Man, Dead Snow, Zombie, The Beyond, Exit Humanity. All magic, demons, or both.

Edited by Iambaytor