Hondo's Bar

Marvel's Agent Carter

Lost the old thread (if there was one).

It's 1946 and peace has dealt Peggy a serious blow as she finds herself marginalized when the men return home from fighting abroad. Working for the covert SSR (Strategic Scientific Reserve), Peggy finds herself stuck doing administrative work when she would rather be back out in the field; putting her vast skills into play and taking down the bad guys. But she is also trying to navigate life as a single woman in America, in the wake of losing the love of her life, Steve Rogers – aka Captain America. When old acquaintance Howard Stark (Dominic Cooper, Marvel's "Captain America: The First Avenger”) finds himself being framed for unleashing his deadliest weapons to anyone willing to pony up the cash, he contacts Peggy - the only person he can trust - to track down those responsible, dispose of the weapons and clear his name. He empowers his butler, Edwin Jarvis (James D'Arcy, “Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World”), to be at her beck and call when needed to help assist her as she investigates and tracks down those responsible for releasing these weapons of mass destruction. But Jarvis, who is a creature of habit and sticks to a rigid daily routine, is going to have to make some major life changes if he’s going to be able to keep up with Peggy. If caught going on these secret missions for Stark, Peggy could be targeted as a traitor and spend the rest of her days in prison – or worse. And as she delves deeper into her investigation, she may find that those she works for are not who they seem, and she might even begin to question whether Stark is as innocent as he claims.

Cautiously looking forward to this.

Edited by alive she cried

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I enjoyed the first two episodes of Agent Carter (haven't seen the third yet), and I like the recovering lost "artifacts" plot. Also, not sure why the Jarvis hatred. However...

I think the whole working against her fellow agents because they're raging incompetent sexists schtick can definitely wear thin quickly. Hopefully this 8 episode run ends with her being made a real member of the team. Also, the whole rcovery of Stark tech sounds like a good story arc but not a great premise for the entire series.

Well, so much for that theory. Looks as if...

Leviathan is going to be the overall arc for this mini-season. Kind of a bummer (and lazy writing) how they wrapped it all up so easily with finding the missing Stark tech.

This episode overall was pretty tepid.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

• 3 weeks later...

Last episode definitely kicked it up with that surprise at the end. Was legit sad that I have to wait a week.

I guess I'm still not happy with the pacing or the stakes. Ssr is straight after stark's blood, peggy is gonna get blasted if her treason is ever revealed for all the bodies it built up, and I really don't care how stark is proven innocent. Frankly I dont see the birth of a spy legend quite yet, which is sorta what I expected coming in - the dawn of shield at the hands of Peggy Carter.

Last episode definitely kicked it up with that surprise at the end. Was legit sad that I have to wait a week.

I guess I'm still not happy with the pacing or the stakes. Ssr is straight after stark's blood, peggy is gonna get blasted if her treason is ever revealed for all the bodies it built up, and I really don't care how stark is proven innocent. Frankly I dont see the birth of a spy legend quite yet, which is sorta what I expected coming in - the dawn of shield at the hands of Peggy Carter.

I never went in to this series expecting Peggy Carter create SHIELD, but it looks like this could be a possibility with the help of Stark tech after he's inevitably cleared. Maybe for season 2?

Some really great mysteries are arising and episodes 4 & 5 have elevated the plot. As for the "Blitzkrieg Button" from episode 4:

Anyone else think Cap's blood will come in to play for Dum-Dum or Nick Fury possibly having a slowed aging process like in the comics? I'd love to see Dum-Dum show up on Agents of SHIELD. Could be a cool bridge between the series.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy shit...this episode... [s1E7]

Talk about an explosive ending for that character.

:Shalit:

That Blackwidow Leviathan agent falling down the stairs had to be one of the best action stunts I can recall in recent memory.

]

Also, the whole Leviathan angle is paying off in spades. I really dig how they didn't go to the "Hydra well" for this mini-series. I hope we get either a second mini-season after SHIELD returns from hiatus or during the SHIELD S3 hiatus--assuming there will be a S3. I'd really like to see Peggy and Howard Stark begin SHIELD. If you've read the Ant-Man movie prequel comic then you know how cool seeing those two team up in that capacity could be as a series.

• 2 months later...