Hondo's Bar

Jessica Jones

First reactions

Aaron Gold @AaronFreaknGold

I just saw the first episode of Jessica Jones. You guys, this show goes there. Fantastic storytelling and cinematography. Cant wait for more

Steven Weintraub

@colliderfrosty

what I also really dug about JESSICA JONES ep 1 is lack of dumb exposition. We don't have her explaining her life. Show starts and we're off

Robert E. Holley @ROBatGraveShift

1st ep of #JessicaJones was more layered than #Daredevil's whole 1st seas. Excited about the limits Marvel will push w/ Punisher in season2

Eric Goldman @TheEricGoldman

#JessicaJones has a really strong, compelling first episode. And damn is it dark and mature for Marvel. (yes, more than #Daredevil) #NYCC

Ryan Penagos

@AgentM

I definitely heard a woman behind me whisper "what the f---" during #JessicaJones. It's a fair bit darker & more mature than most expected

jamie harsip @JamieHarsip

David Tennant is terrifying. @Krystenritter is talented beyond words. @JessicaJones is going to blow everyone away; I promise. #MarvelNYCC

Bilal Mian @Bilal_Mian

No full appearance by David Tennant, but we get to see bits and pieces of him in the first episode. Yet,he is still terrifying #JessicaJones

Bill Rosemann @BillRosemann

You like it raw & intense? Then you'll love #JessicaJones. Crowd at #NYCC just saw ep 1 & roared for more! @Marvel @netflix @JessicaJones

Ethanessa @LouBoutinLov3r

Will not lie, @JessicaJones looks phenomenal holyyy shit #JessicaJones

Laura Prudom

@LauInLA

If you think #Daredevil's dark, wait 'til you see #JessicaJones. Some moments left me breathless. Very different, and yet just as brilliant

Collider News

@ColliderNews

Get ready. 'Jessica Jones​' is one of the best first episodes ever—according to @EVComedy: http://trib.al/nLK4H0z

pic.twitter.com/Uqd9iwHjay

Abraham Riesman

@abrahamjoseph

I saw Jessica Jones. It has hotter and more nuanced sexuality than anything in MCU history: http://www.vulture.com/2015/10/jessica-jones-sexuality.html

io9

@io9

Excited for Marvel's Jessica Jones? We saw the pilot and it was an incredible work of superpowered noir http://io9.com/we-saw-the-first-episode-of-marvels-jessica-jones-and-n-1735875690

IGN

@IGN

.@JessicaJones is even darker than Daredevil. Our reaction to the first episode from #NYCC: http://go.ign.com/TnF20Ia

pic.twitter.com/oeNfDmW4ch

p.s. How the fuck do you embed a tweet?

Edited by alive she cried

•Jessica Jones, from the start, goes darker than Daredevil.

•Krysten Ritter portrays Jessica wonderfully, showing just how strong she is physically but how, in an instant, she can unravel.

•Jessica Jones is dealing with some extreme personal issues. Alcoholism being one, post-traumatic stress disorder being another. She’s being held at the seams.

•Jessica Jones presents the very first rated R scene in any Marvel show, or at least that I can think of. In two ways actual, you’ll see.

•Let’s talk about Jeryn Hogarth. In the comics, Hogarth is a male character. Obviously, Carrie-Anne Moss is not a male. Thing is, she brings such a strong presence to the screen that the character works…she reminds me best of Claire Underwood from House of Cards.

•Kilgrave is a terrifying…terrifying man. I’m not sure I’ll be able to look at David Tennant the same ever again. He’s rarely on screen and the fact he can do so much in so little screen time…I’m just afraid to see what he can do throughout a whole episode.

•As for the tone of the show, it does feel like a more dangerous sort of procedural. Think something like Luther more than Castle. It also has the noir-type music that signifies, “This is a detective show.”

•The opening credits are solid. Maybe not as good as Daredevil, but still very good.

Read more at http://nerdreactor.c...H6jcZiXPyMzy.99

liking a lot of what im reading there!

as for embedding tweets: ill look into it, our software's a bit older but it looks like it can be configured to work with twitter as an app? not sure how that'd fix simply wanting to embed tweets but honestly, YT aside, many places use HTML code that this version of the board doesn't seem to know how to parse very well, so it'd not surprise me if it's more of the same.

Darker and more layered than Daredevil?? Positive reviews for Krysten Ritter (who I normally can't stand)? This actually sounds like it could be great.

I've been reading Torso, but I think I'll put that one aside and read all of Alias before the show airs! There needs to be more hours in a day. Stupid job and life getting in the way of my comics!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, indeed. Hype levels are now at maximum! I'm loving how David Mack's artwork and influence is all over these promos.

Also,

about that first teaser. He makes a good point about the street image of Jessica facing Avengers Tower being only a few block from that same image where Matt is walking down a street in Hell's Kitchen on the Dare Devil promo image. Also a possible Defenders poster could be at an intersection in Hell's Kitchen where these images match up or connect in some way. Edited by Mr. Hakujin

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, so imma go an say it now. If there isn't a POV scene of Jessica looking up at Bryan Cranston hovering over her as she wakes up from either a drunken stupor or getting knocked out, then this show is squandering an opportunity for the best cameo since Bill Murray in Zombieland.

Just finished it. It was a'ight.

LOL - man, Jessica Jones looked exactly like Mercy from The Warriors!

story-045.jpg

What a nightmare to have an evil Professor X running around.

Yeah, but we can't just stop him - how do we prove he has mind control powers to a court of law? Wait till he mind controls someone who's testimony counts: a bunch of cops. End. Oh.

I thought this was great. Not quiiite as good as Daredevil, but only by just a tad. It has a very similar feel to DD and while it doesn't have as much action, they have a lot of similarities and it'll be awesome when everything gets ready to cross over.

Few things

Luke Cage was kinda boring, so I hope his actual show makes him more interesting. From what I understand in the comics he's supposed to be kinda fun and boisterous, but here he is pretty toned down. I may be wrong though...

-Kilgrave was a better villain than Kingpin. They did the whole tortured childhood thing again, but I just found it more interesting. He felt like a character from The Twilight Zone. Namely the little boy from "It's a Good Life". It kept bouncing back from "should I feel sorry for this guy?" to "I can't wait til he gets it." Tennant stole his scenes though. I was sure they would let him go full purple in that last episode, and it almost happened, but that got toned down alot too.

-NUUUUUUKE!

-It was cool to see Rosario Dawson show up to kind of tie things together. I was hoping for a small cameo from Matt, maybe calling her to offer his services as her attorney or something. Probably would have been too much though.

-Old black men don't last long in Hell's Kitchen

Edited by Axels

Just finished first episode, really enjoyed it. Unfortunately I won't be able to binge watch this the way I did Daredevil, I've too much work to do for college. But I'll definitely be watching a few more tonight.

I was planning on binge watching this series this week, but I made the mistake of promising the gf I'd wait for her to watch it. (I'm already behind on Gotham S2 and Homeland S5 because of this.) Anyway, I'm finally gonna get to watch episode one tonight and am super stoked.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

We are up to episode 10 so far.

It is a verywell done series, but some of it feels a bit stretched for TV. There have been a couple of scenarios where I have rolled my eyes, but some of it I think is intentional on the part of the writers. Jessica is not some super genius, she is flawed and can make dumb mistakes at times, like all of us.

Also, watching this series with a someone who works in treating female sexual trauma victims is a very interesting experience. Lots of pausing so she can yell at asinine shit Kevin says/does to Jessica. Most of it stuff they have heard from real victims and predators. So the writers did their research and are getting a lot of the sexual victim/predator mentality and reaction stuff correct.

At episode 9:

Holy shit

Patsy Walker boyfriend is this guy:

Ddnuke.png

Thank you for saving me a google search, Newt! We just finished that episode, and after the whole pill comment I knew he had to be based on some MU character.

Also, didn't the Punisher kill this guy in the comics? I feel like I read an arc like that with one of the Punisher reboots in the past 2-5 years or so. Maybe this is a possible tie-in to Daredevil since the Punisher is showing up there? That is if he doesn't die in the last three episodes of S1...

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

Finished the first season of the series and it is on par with SHIELD and Dare Devil. I feel if it was tightened down to ten episodes it probably could've been the best thing Marvel has done on TV. Krysten Ritter is not my favorite actress, but as the season went along she really grew in to the part for me. (If I never see her wear a grey infinity scarf or flick her hair back again, that'll be okay with me though.) The guy playing Luke also seemed a bit flat to me at first, but those last three episodes he seemed to pop. They both own those parts now.

S1 finale spoiler

And what can you say about Kilgrave other than what a fucking great villain. I'm not a Dr. Who fan, but David Tennent (sp?) delivered a very layered, powerful performance. If S1 had an entire episode devoted to Kevin becoming Kilgrave, instead of just the verbal explanations from his parents, I could've justified them maybe going 13 episodes.

As a viewer, I really wish his end would've been more climactic, more gruesomely befitting someone of his selfish brutality. Rip that tongue of his out, decapitate him, beat him to death with his own limbs! But I can also see why they went that way with his death. Jessica is not a violent person, she really abhores suffering, so for her it was almost a mercy killing. She was putting Kilgrave, and everyone else, out of misery. Quick snap. All done. Makes a lot of sense for her character.

I wonder if he will return in flashbacks in oncoming seasons? I'm sure killing Reva wasn't the only horrible thing Kilgrave had her do to others.