Hondo's Bar

Jessica Jones

I thought Hellcat was Kitty Pryde, then realised that was Shadowcat. Or more accurately that Shadowcat and Hellcat were not the same character. I literally knew nothing about Patsy Walker before this show.

Nuke, I didn't cop it until "gimme a red." I enjoyed his portrayal, but felt his character arc was rushed and a bit tacked on.

This was so good. It really highlighted just how fucking awfully written the comic was in how they made Jessica a likeable character who actually does things but is horribly self-destructive. And the way they handled Kilgrave was a masterstroke, Purple Man as a 2D sadist and that weird tangent that Bendis went on with his 4th wall breaking rant were just uninspired. I like that he's just basically the grown up version of that kid from The Twilight Zone here and he's occasionally sympathetic despite being an absolute monster. Having Jessica's resistance be down to her and not a mental block put in her head by another character is also a nice change. I do wish that the show had had Jessica cover a few more cases though. I also wish there wasn't a distinct divide between the movies and the shows because I'd love to see Jessica's relationship with Scott Lang played out in the show with Paul Rudd.

That said, I feel like they had about ten episodes of material and just stretched it out to 13. Those last 3 episodes had a lot of filler and the 11th hour shoehorning of Rosario Dawson's character into the show felt forced. Also all the side stuff about Nuke and the crazy redheaded girl and Carrie Ann Moss's horrible person character and Hellcat's shitty pageant mom just padded things out too much and took way too much attention away from the story's main character. I liked that they put Nuke and Hellcat in this (there's also a mention of White Tiger that will probably never amount to anything) and I get that they're seeding Season 2 but after a certain point I just wanted them to get the fuck on with it.

This isn't a complaint but Kilgrave is not the villain of the show, all of Jessica's "friends" are. I haven't seen such a toxic supporting cast since Rescue Me and I swear that this whole thing could've tied up in 2 episodes with very few deaths had nobody "helped" Jessica. I kind of like that though. Loved the show, like it better than Daredevil and I'm stoked for Luke Cage and especially Misty Knight!

Edited by Iambaytor

it was good! not better than DD for me (obviously) - and panch, purple kids come way later but i understand, you don't read modern comics

baytor got the pacing stuff right - Tenet was great but we spent too much time cat & mouse'ing with him, would've been a tighter 10 but really? 13 would've worked, we just needed more random cases - that silly one with the couple trying to kill her was a start, a few more like that & it really would've worked/felt like the book for me. still great, mind you, but the pacing here was more of an issue than DD, i thought (which later dedicated nearly entire eps to character development like foggy & matt's long talk, etc).

i mostly liked her neighbors (moreso than trinity, for instance - weeknd was fun), but overall i think Nuke was possibly a misstep - i'm not expecting him to be gunning down the city a la Frank Miller, but he felt barely recognizable here, and pretty much served only one overall scene for me: the hellcat/jessica teamup, which was indeed cool. it's just, if that's all he was gonna do, i almost wish he was used in Marvel Agents instead. Granted, we totally needed one more small villain around then.

still not quite sure what to expect from Luke, but he's a great casting and even if it's just origin & helping neighbors/early heroes for hire (which is basically what jones does now) i'm down. at this rate, marvel's netflix lineup is legitimately more exciting than MCU, and given my hype for Civil War, that's saying something.

There's no way we won't be seeing more Nuke. Maybe in Jessica Jones season 2 or maybe in Luke Cage, it would seem that the company that made Jessica and Nuke is also responsible for Cage. He'll be back for more. I'm really hoping that Hellcat will show up as one of the Defenders now, probably won't but I'd like it if there were more than 4 and she could fill the Hawkeye/Black Widow spot on the team.

one other thing i was cool with in this show but DD had better in spades was fight choreography. granted, lot less of a focus here, but given how poor that can be in even major films, it was an absolute treat in that show.

I fear his MO will be too similar to Daredevil for us to see him appear in one of these shows.

i stay hopeful - there's a few angles, the most obvious being batman-but-crazy, that could work. id honestly be happy if he just showed up in someone else's show (particularly a mystic one, a la Constantine in Arrow) - them giving Frank a go in DD feels smart, see if audiences bite enough to warrant it. i don't know if our boy would, but just seeing him in live action alone would be so great.

*edit: thought that Moony article JZA linked a while back was an april fool's, there do seem to be rumors about though, for what that's worth

• 1 month later...

Netflix Renews Marvel's JESSICA JONES For Season 2; Small Update On THE DEFENDERS

130070.jpg

Jessica Jones is coming back! Nearly three months after its initial debut, Marvel & Netflix have confirmed that the critically acclaimed series is returning for a second season. Plus, we have a small update on how The Defenders may affect season 2. Come check it out!

Follow Rohan:

CBMBTNS.png twitterBTNS.png

By Rohan Patel - 1/17/2016

12187685_1659862934261206_5055464995382859062_n.jpg?oh=63c802ee021eb5ffe6b267111d7169b3&oe=570482F9

Well, it's finally official.

At the Television Critics Association's press tour today, Netflix confirmed that Marvel's critically acclaimed series Jessica Jones will return for a 13-episode season 2 at an yet-to-be determined date, which may mean we don't see the series return this year. First season showrunner Melissa Rosenberg will be back leading the show for its sophomore season.

When asked about the rumored Punisher series, Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandosplayed it relatively coy saying that "We're still on the five we originally announced." Those five he's referring to are of course Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and a mini-series based on the The Defenders.

Speaking of The Defenders, it seems as though the mini-series' production schedule will determine when we see the second season of Jessica Jones, a potential third season ofDaredevil, and/or any subsequent seasons of any upcoming Marvel Netflix series like Luke Cage and Iron Fist. Considering Marvel & Netflix are still on the hunt for their Iron Fist, it's interesting that they're already factoring in production on The Defenders ahead of production on a likely 13-episode Iron Fist series. Could we see Iron Fist make his debut in The Defenders ahead of his own solo series? Probably not, but only time will tell.

Before signing off, Sarandos elaborated a bit further on the possibility of seeing shows based on The Punisher, Elektra, and/or any other prominent supporting character that shows up in one of the core four series: "All the characters that spin out in that universe could spin out, Any character that's in there is on the table, but nothing to talk about." Could this mean we see more than two Marvel Netflix shows in a calendar year? Maybe, but it's much easier said than done and according to Sarandos, it is certainly not their current intent: "It's possible, right now, these are produced at the scale of a major film, so they're long production times and long post times. In some cases we have character crossover, which makes it more difficult to manage production in a way to jam two or three in. It's not the goal, certainly, to put more than one or two out a year." It's probably safe to assume that most fans would agree that if producing more than two shows a year affects quality, it's in everyone's best interest to stick to their current production schedule, which has been working just fine.

So, what do you guys think? Sound off with your thoughts below!

After a tragic ending to her short-lived super hero stint, Jessica Jones is rebuilding her personal life and career as a detective who gets pulled into cases involving people with extraordinary abilities in New York City.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...