Hondo's Bar

Jessica Jones

1436631371667-7730c.jpg

source

Netflix and Marvel Television have released new images from their upcoming series "Jessica Jones" that feature Mike Colter's Luke Cage literally on fire.

From the location in the images, we can gather this takes place shortly after the scenes from the fan videos from the set posted previously. In the videos, we saw Jessica Jones (Krysten Ritter) arrive at what appeared to be a bar where Luke Cage waits inside and then an explosion that sent Ritter's stunt double flying backward.

These photos feature Cage emerging from the bar -- on fire. In the comics, Luke Cage has unbreakable skin, making him virtually invulnerable.

1436631390968-20aa8.jpg

1436631449619-29a90.jpg

1436631467980-0351d.jpg

1436631511497-82941.jpg

• 1 month later...

Jessica Jones is a "psychological thriller first, superhero show second"

At a roundtable interview during the Television Critic's Association press tour (as reported by IndieWire), Jessica Jones executive producer Jeph Loeb and showrunner Melissa Rosenberg dropped some new details about the show, which Loeb calls a "psychological thriller."

"When we first sat down and started talking about Daredevil, what we said was, for all intents and purposes, it was a crime drama first and a superhero show second," said Loeb. "One of the things we’ve talked a lot about is that [Jessica Jones] is in many ways a psychological thriller first and then a superhero show second."

Loeb said that much of the show's psychological drama will stem from the show's villain, Zebediah Killgrave, A.K.A. the Purple Man, played by David Tennant.

"In the same kind of way Vincent D’Onofrio owned his half of Daredevil," he said, "you’ll see David Tennant own his half of Jessica Jones."

"What you get out of [Jessica Jones] is a sort of hold-your-breath tension as to what’s going to happen,” said Loeb. “When you see the dynamic between Krysten Ritter and David Tennant. That question of 'What’s going to happen next?' and 'What could happen next?' and how that’s driven by character is something that is so important to not just the scripts but also the way the show is shot, and the way that everyone reacts, and the way those two react with each other."

In comic book on which Jessia Jones is based, Alias, Killgrave was a primary nemesis for Jones in her days as the superhero Jewel, using his mind control powers to subjugate and victimize her. It's unclear how much of their interaction will be lifted from comic books, but judging by the hard sell Loeb and Rosenberg are giving his role on the show, it seems that his powers and his sadistic streak will be in full effect.

Jessica Jones will premiere on Netflix in late 2015.

I enjoyed the stories in Alias, I did not enjoy Jessica Jones at all. All she did was swear, drink, and complain until someone gave her the answer to her case or just fixed it for her. She was a big mess of annoying detective fiction tropes that for a brief moment (her origin story) was kind of poignant. The Killgrave arc that ended the series was pretty good even though it followed the same format as the rest: "Oh, Jean Grey installed a cheat code in her head."

Bendis used her really well for a couple of bits in The Pulse, and then she became Luke Cage's wife and the only Avenger who actually did less than Spider-Woman. She's a great character but by the very nature of "super-powered person who doesn't want to be a superhero" her character is a bit hard to write in a very pro-superhero universe. Alias is a good take, but Bendis was an atrocious writer back then. I mean, pretty much all the MAX books aged like milk once the "superhero comics with tits and swears" novelty wore off but it has almost all of the problems that the MAX books suffered from. Here's hoping that a different writer can make her a bit more likeable and sympathetic because the idea is golden if used correctly.

I hate to say it, but I agree with Baytor here. Alias was great, but you could've plugged any female Marvel character in her place. Actually, no. Any established female Marvel character would have been way better. Hell, it was nearly Jessica Drew, but Marvel said no to her getting rammed up the butt by Luke Cage so Bendis had to create someone new. He wasn't even creative enough to change her fist name.

• 4 weeks later...

Whoa. A one-two punch from both Baytor and Panch on the source material. It's been forever since I read Alias, but my memories of it are powerful. It was a good story, but one that was hard to read. It made me question why and how I view victims/survivors of sexual assault and torture.

I came about the book totally by accident, and in true noob fashion picked it up thinking it was gonna be about Sydney Bristow and give me some fucking answers on Rambaldi. But I instead got a pretty powerful story that I think went beyond just the sex & violence aspect comics like The Boys relied so heavily on. Maybe Baytor and Panch are right and I'm remembering it with those rose tinted glasses of nostalgia, but it was a very powerful story. I'm interested in seeing how those 28 issues, especially that last arc about how she got her powers and why she quit being a superhero, get translated in to television.

And that teaser trailer definitely seems to indicate the tone the show runners are going for is at least right. Like, NZA, I am looking forward to seeing actual footage.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

The book was good. I never, and will never, deny that. Jessica Jones, however, was forgettable. The book would have been better suited with an already established character in the Marvel U. This was the plan, of course, until the Marvel brass heard what Bendis had planned for her. They took the bitch way out and had him create a whole new character (he didn't even bother changing the first name). Had we gotten the intended story and character, I believe, it would hold that power of which you speak.

Now the show has mirrored the book and casted an actress as forgettable as the character. I'll watch, just like everyone else, but I won't pretend I'm hyped for it like y'all. I, also, won't pretend this will be anything close to Daredevil.

Cause it won't can't.

What you're remembering was there, but it was toward the end. And while the first arc was forgettable and the arc about the teenage girl who disappeared just kind of gave up and blew it with its ending, the actual storylines were fairly strong. Jessica just didn't work as a character, you could almost see Brian Michael Bendis patting himself on the back for writing such a deep female lead when really she was a mess of detective tropes: she swears a lot, she's a misanthrope, she's a drunk, she sleeps around. Such grim. Much pathos. Wow. When he finally got around to why she acted like that it felt like he was scrabbling to justify why she is the way she is, though that back-story is generally pretty strong. The other problem is that she never really does anything, she investigates and finds stuff but usually evidence just falls in her lap and someone else ends up assisting her or just outright fixing the problem for her at the end of each arc, even the climactic one.

I'm fine with them adapting the stories, I just hope they make Jessica less of a damp squib.

The book was good. I never, and will never, deny that. Jessica Jones, however, was forgettable. The book would have been better suited with an already established character in the Marvel U. This was the plan, of course, until the Marvel brass heard what Bendis had planned for her. They took the bitch way out and had him create a whole new character (he didn't even bother changing the first name). Had we gotten the intended story and character, I believe, it would hold that power of which you speak.

I don't know, based on what Bendis did with Jessica Drew, I can't say that that version of the book would've worked any better.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how to describe it - it looks so clean. Perfectly lit set - looks like an insurance commercial. Really artificial. Like, too crisp and clean...I dunno. That Ash vs the Evil Dead trailer, I'm sooo excited for the Evil Dead series, but even still - the trailer footage looked like...sitcom quality, y'know? Perfect make-up and lighting...maybe it's the filter? Can't put my finger on it.

nah, i get it - jessica's world should be a bit grimier. this thing's right around the corner and i'm not seeing anything that makes me feel they've got it down yet...still hopeful but i get your specific concern here. the vibe doesn't feel right, from these slim windows.

So that's why it looks so 'clean'. They're taking the Sky Captain / Sin City approach. I'll give 'em points for being different - it could be cool, but that content's gotta be solid. Bold design choice, I like that surreal aesthetic. Potential for a unique, trend-setting series is there. Hope they pull it off - I'll be watching.

giphy.gif