Hondo's Bar

DC's Rebirth

The NZA

Green Arrow was really great

Supes was a fun trip down memory lane, assuming it's just a vehicle to reintroduce old-supes?

Bats wasn't bad, not enough happened to really speak on yet

GL was fun cause they acknowledged having too many earth lanterns, i like Hal in the mentor role...lookin forward to his & the corps book

havent read this week's Aquaman, WW or Flash yet, but i shall

• 7 months later...

yeah, i wasn't as mad as most when they revealed this was the meta thing they were using to roll back the mistakes of new 52 - mostly because fuck it, we've already kinda milked & shat on the legacy of watchmen with sequel books after moore walked anyway - but the more time passes, the more i can't see this going anywhere good

If there's one thing that can get my co-host yelling - it's the integration of Watchmen into the DCU. He's SO angry about it and feel like it detracts from what the Watchmen is and what it is supposed to represent. It's an interesting concept - making the DCU reset the fault of Doctor Manhattan. It's just sad in a way because the DC Rebirth launch is killing on the stands but you HAD to justify the reset in terms of continuity so...WATCHMEN!

Cool covers - but, I'm lost - what is happening? Watchmen is being integrated into a new DC?

Ah dunno - I like n' prefer Watchmen being it's own...thing. It's own tale / universe...it's kinda the premise. A crossover event w/ DC characters would be crazy-cool - it's would be an interesting as hell one-off. DC has been flailing all over the place...I'm not really surprised shit ain't making sense no mo'. 'Too many resets' is really the bigger issue for me.

Cool covers - but, I'm lost - what is happening? Watchmen is being integrated into a new DC?

Kinda, but not really. It's strongly implying that the DC universe are those people who Dr. Manhattan went off to create at the end of Watchmen. As far as I know he is the only Watchmen character who has appeared and he's mostly been used as a sort of Watcher-type character so far. But he's responsible for the reboot that rebooted the New 52 reboot that unrebooted the post-crisis DC universe reboot. It all makes perfect sense, really.

it's kinda funny, right? like, it answers anything you have trouble with

"wait, new 52 bats had 3 robins in like a year or two, how the"

"DR MANHATTAN DID IT"

"wally west is back, but he's a black kid now, what exactly"

"YOU HEARD"

ultimates in marvel is starting to make me think post secret wars, we can do this with beyonders, too. it's the new "a wizard did it"

• 3 months later...

I've been making my way through these, I've only found a couple that aren't really very good (Blue Beetle and Cyborg) and they're more uninteresting than bad.

Aquaman has been a good ready so far, Dan Abnett is working the same magic he did on the Marvel Cosmic Universe way back when and putting it toward Atlantis and Aquaman's weak-ass cast of characters. It's not a must-read, but it's a well-written and compelling book. Aquaman is a good protagonist but Mera is the standout character of the book.

As a Batgirl fan I'm slightly disappointed with both of her books, they're run of the mill okay right now. But the Batman books are wonderful. OG Batman straddles the line between overserious and wonderful (James Tynion IV rules) and Detective Comics is great, they've got basically a team of Batman types composed of Batwoman, Spoiler, Red Robin, Orphan (other Batgirl Cassandra Cain), Clayface, and later Batwing and Azrael (the oldschool Jean-Paul Valley version) join in. They're wonderfully weird and at times they're horror books, must read for Batman fans. Stay away from Snyder's All-Star Batman, it's moderately entertaining but written in an incredibly stupid way.

I've only read a couple of the Young Animal books, Doom Patrol is fine but it reads like they're trying way too hard to ape Grant Morrison so the whole thing reads like six-degrees of Alan Moore. On the other hand, Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye is fucking wonderful. The art is not great, very simply and cartoonish but it takes one of the old goofy adventure comics from the Silver Age, tosses in Wild Dog (basically the Punisher if her were a Ron Swanson-esque libertarian quarterback in a hockey mask whose sole mission was to keep The Quad Cities safe from terrorists), it's glorious. Read it ASAP.

Green Arrow is spectacular, Ollie's got the beard again but they've updated his costume in a way that incorporates the old and new designs. It hits on a lot of hot button "social justice" issues (there's a story arc involving a reservation and a pipeline) and reminds me of Iron Fist. The first arc is okay but from there the book really takes off in earnest and the writing by horror novelist Benjamin Percy really works for the character and his world. I daresay this may be the best book of the bunch I've read.

Action Comics and Superman have so-far been decent reads. They're kinda blowing their wads by re-introducing all Superman's biggest foes (the opening arcs of each book had him taking on Doomsday and The Eradicator respectively) but the strength of the stories are the dynamic between Lois, Clark, and their son Jonathan. Thanks to cosmic fuckery and Mr. Mxyptlk, we've got Lois and Clark back to being the "real" versions in this reality rather than interlopers from another universe. It was kind of annoying the way they had to bend over backwards to unring that bell but they handled it pretty well, I thought. It's not a great book but the fact that I am interested in reading a Superman book is a significant thing.

Suicide Squad is back! It took some work to get from New 52 grimdark bullshit to something that takes a lot of the best qualities of the Ostrander book and builds on it with more modern sensibilities that borrow from the best qualities of the newer iterations and the movie. They've solved the Harley Quinn problem and while she's not as charming as she was in the Batman the Animated Series it's the best I've seen her written in a while.

yeah, i fell off Green Arrow in the 2nd arc but have meant to come back - Hal Jordan's GL book wasn't bad either but i was only a few issues in.

and i keep hearing good things about Tom King's supes book, newt was also telling me the one with damian & superboy's supposed to be good fun as well

I can't urge you more strongly to get back on Green Arrow. I haven't read Super Sons yet but it doesn't surprise me that it's good.

Oh, forgot to mention that Deathstroke is really good once you get past the disjointed narrative of the first arc. Christopher Priest is doing wonderful things with the character and he even brought in a fake Black Panther surrogate who is a villainous warlord called The Red Lion. It's weirdly fun for a book so dark, if you dug his Deadpool, Black Panther, and Ka-Zar books back in the day you'll like it.