Hondo's Bar

Animaniacs Reboot

The NZA

‘Animaniacs’ Reboot Being Developed By Steven Spielberg, Amblin TV and Warner Bros.

Hellloooo, nurse: It’s time for “Animaniacs” – again!

Amblin Television and Warner Bros. Animation are kicking around a brand new version of the hit 1990s cartoon, IndieWire has learned. The potential reboot comes as “Animaniacs” has experienced a new surge in popularity since arriving on Netflix last year. Steven Spielberg, who developed the original as a follow-up to the success of his “Tiny Toon Adventures,” is expected to be on board in crafting the updated version.

There’s no home yet for “Animaniacs,” and insiders caution that it’s still in the early stages of development. But 1990s nostalgia is big business these days – witness the success of another Warner Bros. TV title, “Fuller House,” which is one of the most-watched originals on Netflix.

waiting on Slappy

Id love to see a Chicken Boo sketch where he becomes president. It goes through the whole election, he gets voted in then finally people start to realize the truth. "He's a chicken I tell ya, a giant chicken!"

Man, forget this, when are they gonna bring back Freakazoid? A superhero story about a nerd who gets the entire internet downloaded to his brain that makes him an obnoxious pop-culture quoting weirdo instead of a super genius could not be more relevant to the modern era.

• Upvote 2

Animaniacs > Freakazoid

All day, every day.

The Animaniacs were born in the early dayz of cinema / ink n' paint dayz...locked up...unleashed on the 90s. I'd luv to see these reps of 'early animation' unleashed today - but it's an era of Flash / cg / cpu art. Hopefully Spielberg somehow manages to keep it all 'hand drawn' / authentic...of course, using modern tech to accentuate / assist. Whatever the expense.

If they bring it back - I really hope it's something special / different, on the animation front. I hope they...'bring it back'. Spielberg isn't opposed to cg, but he's a big traditional animation aficionado - hope he has a cool vision / reason to bring this gem back.

qSjXwhv-1460582749.gif?quality=.8&height=310&width=406

Eh, that's an unfair comparison. Animaniacs was a much more traditional animated series which was allowed to run for a lot longer and it took advantage of a lot of the groundwork laid by Tiny Toon Adventures which really established the formula and format that Animaniacs would exploit. Nothing quite like Freakazoid had ever really been done, there had been a handful of jokey superhero shows but they were all super silly Hannah-Barberra esque stuff that was just like everything else. Freakazoid used the Tiny Toons formula as a way to subvert the superhero subgenre but also built on it in a way that was compelling without ever losing its farcical nature. It only lasted two seasons and while its first season was merely okay, the same can be said of The Animaniacs. Animaniacs is great but I'm not sure they exist outside of the 90s and I feel like everything they have to say has been said, Freakazoid was way ahead of its time and has potential in spades. I love Pinky and the Brain and Animaniacs and Tiny Toons as much as anybody but their real groundbreaking stuff like Freakazoid and Histeria is what I want to see brought back because those shows never got their due.

I have no idea what they have planned for Animaniacs - but I genuinely love the 'Keystone / Termite Terrace' stuff that Animaniacs was infused with. That stuff speaks to my soul. That's the kinda stuff I try to implement in my own work.

If they bring the show back - I'd love to see more of that kinda 'ol' skoo' mayhem'...today. They don't make 'em like that anymore. The show (Animaniacs) totally holds up today - don't see why their 'cartoon logic / philosophy' couldn't work outside the 90s.

Different kind of audience? Today's audience probably would be more receptive to a Freakazoid reboot than Animaniacs. Think it also depends on the network - I not so much a fan of the modern Looney Tunes on Cartoon Network(?) Even 90s Animaniacs would humble them - that sense of edge n' anarchy is gone.

LOL - Histeria...if they're gonna bring that back...bring back Carmen Sandiego, too! I still pop that in n' watch. Not as funny - but solid ol' skoo' info-tainment.

I gotta go with baytor on this one. I loved the Animaniacs as a kid, but I also loved Spawn - both of which really feel like products of the 90s. I mean Animaniacs had some great, amazing moments but I just don't know if it really can exist outside of the time it did. Do I want it to? Of course I do, but i'm not hopeful.

I have no idea what they have planned for Animaniacs - but I genuinely love the 'Keystone / Termite Terrace' stuff that Animaniacs was infused with. That stuff speaks to my soul. That's the kinda stuff I try to implement in my own work.

Groucho Marx impressions never go out of style

Animaniacs > Freakazoid

All day, every day...

708full-animaniacs-screenshot.jpg

Oh man, Histeria is criminally underrated. That definitely needs a comeback. Fucking hilarious and educational.

That was a great clip! That show definitely slipped under my radar. I think it aired at a weird time in my area, so I never really saw it back in the day. :/ Edited by Mr. Hakujin

• 7 months later...
  • Upvote 1

I follow Rob Paulsen on IG (he was Yakko and Pinky and still posts about Animaniacs on the regular). He hasn't mentioned anything about this! I'd be interested in what direction they go for voice actors! Rob was Raph in the original TMNT and plays Donnie on the Nickelodeon version so we know he's down for reboots!

• Upvote 1