Hondo's Bar

2025 - hondo's 25th anniversary!

The NZA

:lush:so

i know the forum - much like many of the remaining forums i've browsed in the year of our lord 2k23 - is pretty dead these days, and that's alright.  i'd wanted to make a thread for a proposed midwest hondoscon for next year, but between me & @tewibewi, @Keth, @Visitant possibly @Stilly and maybe if we can reach out to @MetalHeart , @Iambaytor@FireDownBelow@Thelogan and such we could make a thing...but i don't know how everyone's doing these days, we're more than halfway through 2023 and even with that amount of time, i don't know how viable it is

then i got to thinking, if we really put some time into it, maybe we could do a bigger thing! or if not, at least something local, and try to have some kind of event to get more classic members to swing by, if even just to post on a catch-up thread and let folks know how they've been.  i keep thinking, with twitter going down the hole & meta failing, who knows what monstrosity social media will look like by 2025, maybe the charm of a web 1.0 forum will shine enough to interest people in checking in...like uh, how myspace did on its way out?  i've not workshopped this one much yet, granted.  it's entirely possible it'll come off like the beeper king in 30 rock

anyway, what do y'all think?  is it worth a go, or should we just do a smaller scale thing here with whoever swings by?  no hurry, i'll check back in a week!

• Really Like 2

I don't know if I would be able to make it, but I would definitely be willing to explore the possibility. I would love to see many of you. Also, if this ends up happening, would going to a cannabis legal state be possible?

• Wow! 1

I would absolutely love to make it. My attendance though depends on a lot of factors. Namely whether our games studio is a success or not. If not I've no idea where I'll be financially or even geographically. 

But I will do everything in my power to make it.

On a related topic, I still think it would be really fun to do group video chats every once in a while, or even once a year. But there never seemed much interest surprisingly. Jay and I managed to pull one off, and I know Nick you were up joining in the next one, so we should at least do that if ye're still willing.

Edited by alive she cried
  • Really Like 1

absolutely down for the next one, long as i have the day off!  working nights means i can prolly swing an hour that's decent for y'all too

for the meetup, we should absolutely see who can manage what (in terms of travel/etc) and plan what's best around folks then.  if we're really talking 2025, it feels a bit silly this far out, but might be worth it to see who's so inclined first? 

i was initially saying midwest because i thought a pocket of us might be out this way & down, but @tewibewi has been suggesting being open to a destination that's easiest/cheapest for all, even if i'm not sure what that looks like yet

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

should we do a poll here?  maybe reach out to rachel and others who might be down to join, but aren't on the forum these days? 

i think we can totally manage a small cool group with some planning, and incorporate some video calling for others to join.  like, every new years, we're still doing resolutions with lindsay & senshik, we can sort this out and make it work for anyone down to join for an anniversary thing

speaking of: @Master Star just got hitched to @Mr. Sexy Hat so i think we have a better batting average than tinder at this rate

also, @alive she cried just wanted to restate my interest in a video call if i can whenever one goes down!

• Really Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Holy shit, I didn't realise that was Mr Sexy Hat! Wow, Hondo's definitely is the greatest matchmaking website I've ever frequented. 

If I can't make it in person, then I'll definitely be there via video chat, though I really hope I can make it. What is the nearest airport to ye? I might do a little hopeful number crunching.

Also, we definitely need to organise that video call soon. I know Jay will be down again. What a nightmare to find a time that suits everyone though, our time zones couldn't be more separate from each other 😅

• Haha 1

i'm like 25 minutes from an airport, so no worries

also bear in mind i'm back on the graveyard shirt, meaning i'm up all night on nights off as well - may help with aussie scheduling!

• Really Like 1