Hondo's Bar

The Matrix Revolutions

Ok, my biggest beef was this - The Matrix proved to be a great film because it was a movie that had great action at service to a great plot with some great ideas behind it. All too often we get movies where there is a cheesy plot that is only there to allow a reason for some absurdly over-the-top action scenes. Those movies aren't always bad, sometimes they can be great fun (Charlie's Angels being an extreme example) but The Matrix transcended them because its fight scenes had reason to be there. They were there to enhance the plot, instead of having the plot step aside to make room for them. Reloaded was the opposite. Reloaded was nothing more than a lot of overly-choreographed and downright boring fight scenes with a loose plot to attempt to string them together. And what's worse is that, unlike a lot of action movies that at least accept that fact, it pretended to be more important than it was by giving the characters long meaningless fluff monologues that are supposed to make us think that the twenty minute fight scene that preceded it had meaning. It wasn't a total loss, though. The freeway chase was brilliant, and the scene with the Architect was at least interesting in the possibilities it raised (possibilities which I don't have much faith in Revolutions following through on, though). But the rest was just an over-indulgent mess if you ask me.

I've got a lot more beef if you're curious, but that was probably the biggest.

Im curious, but that was a damn fine reason, cant really argue - youre right, action was a tool of the plot before. And re-watchin it, tho i still find the 100 man fight a fun trip, i agree that the architect meeting & the midnite talk with the counselor in the engineering room were a bit more interetin. There's less of that in this one, honestly, and thats prolly what left me sad.

Go on - but for what its worth, the fight with the Jet-Li like bodygaurd was really fun the 2nd time around, and in a martial arts flcik kind of way, didnt strike me as gratoutous (sp) at all. I wanted to like the fight in the marble room with all the weapons more than I did, tho - but Morpheus with a katana kept me goin.

Oh, and the characters were uninteresting. Why is it that the most interesting characters are the programs? I'd rather watch a movie about the Merovingian, or the Oracle, or Monica Belucci's character (granted, I'd always choose to watch Monica Belucci over someone else) than Neo, Trinity or Morpheus. The only humans in the series that have ever had any life to them have been Link, Joey Pants in the first one, and Sparks (I dunno if Sparks made it into Revolutions, but he's the operator for Ghost and Niobe's ship). Ghost is a good character too, but they never use him. And the old councilman (whose name I don't remember) was also interesting, but barely there. All the lead human characters are some of the most wooden actors ever giving some of their most wooden performances! It's so rampant in the movie that it's obviously a choice of the directors, not the actors. So why do the humans act more like machines than the machines do? Is there some big revelation at the end of Revolutions that explains that? Either way, when it comes down to it, I just don't give a damn about any of them. I don't care what happens to Neo or Trinity or Morpheus or Niobe or even Zion. I'd be more upset to see the Merovingian get deleted than to see any of them die. In a movie about man vs. machine...shouldn't I want to root for man?

Sometimes it seems to me that I'm pretty easy to please. If I find a movie to suck, then it must be pretty fucking bad. That being said, let me warn everybody: DON'T WATCH THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD!!!

I like Matrix Reloaded. I like it's fight scenes. I was well entertained. But maybe that's just me. I guess I'm not as analytical as some people are when it comes to movies.

However, as far as Matrix Revolutions goes...it was pretty good, yes. I don't feel I was disappointed. However, I didn't quite fully understand the ending at first. I felt the movie should have had some sort of explanationi as to why it all ended that way. Maybe that should have had a better conversation between the Oracle and the Architect to explain the reasons of it all. I had to talk about it with my friend for like 5 minutes, and we guess for the most part maybe it was left for interpretation. He then explained it to me in a sense related to programming, and I was convinced. But maybe that's just my opinion.

SPOILERS!!

I thought, it was good, well made, and the attack on Zion, with all those sentinels was fucking class. The end kinda threw me off, i didn't expect that. There wasn't enough Monica Bellucci! :D But it has been left pretty open, as in open to interpretation, and maybe open for a cash in film years down the line, i don't know if anyone agrees tho!

The fight with Smith & Neo was awesome, but overall, i felt that the first was the best, but still as IC said, it will make a kick ass box set!

Now for Return of the King!! :D

Actually there weren't any spoilers in there, SOF, except for the fact that there isn't nearly enough cleava- er...Monica Bellucci in the film.

An' by the way,

Sometimes it seems to me that I'm pretty easy to please. If I find a movie to suck, then it must be pretty fucking bad. That being said, let me warn everybody: DON'T WATCH THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD!!!

I like Matrix Reloaded. I like it's fight scenes. I was well entertained. But maybe that's just me. I guess I'm not as analytical as some people are when it comes to movies.

You're right, I am being too analytical about what is essentially just a summer action blockbuster. But the first one was so much more than that. It was a movie with summer action blockbuster visuals and indie film brains so I expected so much more out of its sequels than what turned out. Had the first one been a more simple actioner, this would have been a great trilogy, but whereas the first movie had the brains and balls of a couple of filmmakers who wanted to push the genre of science-fiction a little farther than most people (who don't watch smaller films like Dark City or Pi, or classics like Brazil or Blade Runner) have seen the second two were just more examples of studios and directors milking a cash cow dry.

Spoilers

Am I the only one who thought this movie was fucking retarded? Fell slightly below expectations? Did you see that rediculous fuckin ending? "Uh.... lets just stop fighting" "uh.... ok" "so uh... you cool with just freeing all the people you enslaved for energy?" "yeah... yeah, sure... we'll find energy elsewhere.. it's cool" "aight... so, we cool?" "yeah, we cool"

oh, and I also loved this:

"So, how did agent smith come back from the dead?"

"Umm.... he's your opposite."

"yeah, but how did he come back and stuff?"

"Dude, he's your opposite, ying yang and all that shit... he's also kinda like lucifer in the bible"

"Bah! Lets just fight or something!"

DOnt get me wrong now, I enjoyed the movie. The action was badass, the effects were 3084729385790485703987543 times better than the PS2 graphics we saw in reloaded. But this movie was downright stupid. I enjoyed the plot because it made me laugh. for example, Jada Pinket when she piloted that ship through the tunnel.:

Guy on ship: It's impossible to fly through that tunnel.

Jada: I rawk

She starts flying

Guy on ship: Oh my god, she's flying through the tunnel!

Other guy: Not the tunnel! Thats impossible!

Guys on ground : Holy shit ted, there's something flying through the tunnel!

Ted: THere must be something wrong with the radar! Only a super badass can fly through the tunnel

Jada: I am a superbadass

Guy on ship: Oh my god, she's such a badass!

and so on

Then there's the fact that they replaced everything intelligent about the matrix with either stupid unbeleivable lovey dovey shit between neo and trinity or rediculously blatant religious symbolism. I enjoyed this one more than reloaded because I was laughing through half of it. This one was entertaining and stupid funny where reloaded got kinda boring at points. The action was indeed cool though. I dont see why more people arent pissed about this one. I mean, I liked it, but I liked it because the dialogue and plot was unintentionally funny. The first movie was indeed smarter than a summer blockbuster, and you COULD analyze that one. The matrix went from being a classic intelligent stylish action film to a fun, stupid popcorn movie.

Neo is my shepard, I shall not want

Neo is the light and the way.

---The matrix revolutions

Hah..ok im not with all of that, but again, i did find it disappointing.

-Yes, the ending was quick & forced, if they were goin for "man must coexist with machine/yin and yang" thats cool, but subtelty isnt the same thing as just leavin it out there like that; a longer talk with the yin & yang - oracle & architect - wouldve really been appreciated.

-Did Smith really need explaining? I thought the Lucifer/fallen angel thing was fun, but if youre sayin the symoblism was more overt, and you dug it back in 1 when it was more eastern or subtle, i can see that as well.

-Reloaded looked like PS2 graphics? Did you see the same one i did? What scenes in particular, the 100 man fight?

-Yup, that Pinkett is a star wars badass in the tunnels was weak. Im glad i wasnt the only one thinking "jesus, shut up and let Morpheus talk; id rather hear him talk about soup ingredients in the matrix, you know?

I dunno man, the symbolism, im a fan so it didnt rub me nearly as wrong as the quick forced ending, much less the train guy in the beginning...was that purgatory lite or wha? Maybe the blind messiah Neo was a bit over the top..

I really thought this one was gonna be more plot-heavy. I pictured Neo goin to machine city, beatin machines & opening pods. The resolution i can go for, the way it went, not so much...i guess, i was picturing badass one-on-one fights, and then somethin more like the talk with the architect in reloaded, i fuckin loved that scene...was very sad to not see it here.

Havin watched Reloaded just before this one, i think part 2 was a fine movie, not sure what parts were boring. But again, this one was a weak ending.

Okay, I havn't seen this one (guess why) but I did get sent a pretty funny ass...err..review of it from a guy I know. Before you give out to me, I'm posting this in jest...also the guy that wrote it was a huge fan of the first movie...

Also - I'd say that if ya havn't seen the flick to skip it..if like me you don't really care about it - go for it...right without any further ado:

The most insane review ever

BIG BLEEDIN' SPOILER!

====================================================

THE MATRIX 3 IS SHIT. IT IS INDEED THE WORST FILM I HAVE EVER SEEN. IT MAKES THE MATRIX 2 LOOK OUTSTANDING. I HAVE NEVER SEEN A WORSE FILM. I WOULD RATHER WATCH LORD OF THE RING 1 AND 2(AND EVEN 3 WHEN IT COMES OUT). I FELT LIKE WAS RAPED. AT LEAST NEO AND HIS STUPID GIRLFRIEND ARE NOW DEAD. I WANT TO TELL THE FUCKERS THAT WROTE IT THAT NO ONE CARES, AND PEOPLE WEARING SUN GLASSES IN THE NIGHT WHEN ITS RAINING IS NOT COOL. THIS FILM GET NO STARS. THIS FILM IS AN ASS FUCK TO ITS AUDIENCE.

====================================================

END OF THE SPOIL!

This guy should replace Ebert...I can see it now..."THE MATRIX GIVES TWO THUMBS UP MY ASS"...

As far as Reloaded goes, you've gotta admit, especially after seeing this one, that a lot of the CG was rediculously obvious. The 100 man fight comes to mind, as well as when trinity jumps out the window in the begining. Now dont get me wrong, the 100 man fight fucking rocked, but the none of the CG in Revolutions was nearly as obvious and unrealistic. And when I say parts of reloaded were boring, I pretty much mean whenever they were in Zion, not in the matrix. The love triangle crap was boring, all the talking between the counsel members I thought was uninspired obligatory stuff. I just thought that Revolutions at least gave me a good laugh in these parts.

And yeah, I figure Smith needed explaining. He died. He was then in the next two films. And one of the cooler things about the Matrix was that it explained just about everything with at least some clever technobabble. "He's your opposite" doesn't explain how a guy comes back to life.

And when you think of the philosophy, it's alot like what happens to the philosophy forum here on occasion. It went from something really smart and cool, from a bunch of talk about love and religion. Now, I never had a problem with the religious symbolism in the first two because they didn't overplay it, they just made some cool allusions that some people will get, and some people won't. This one just beat you over the head with it. They took everything they would have explained with cool cyberpunk philosophy and they replaced it with something from christianity or hindu. I just thought that was sort of a copout.

As as far as that love shit goes, that didn't even make me laugh, it was just painful to watch. I never really bought Neo and Trinity hooking up, but I accepted it as an obligatory hollywood thing. But in this one they go on and on and on about how strong their goddamned love is... you know, I hate to point it out, but Neo and Trinity barely speak to each other throughout the whole series. There's not really any scenes where they show any kind of bonding. Sure, there's scene where she realizes he's the one, but no scenes where they even enjoy each other's company before they start jumpin all over each other. Couple this with the fact that they have zero chemistry with each other and it's one of the most unbeleivable movie romances I've ever been subjected to. Now, I didn't really mind so much in the first two, but christ, they really hammer it in in this one.

But anyways, the first one remains an absolute classic, then Reloaded was really good at stalling. It really made me beleive that they were still on the right track for the third, the architect scene being a great example, and then Revolutions just crashes and burns as far as plot story and all that stuff goes. By the end I dont think anyone in the theater gave a flying fuck about any of the characters. I need to go back and see if I liked this or Reloaded betetr tho, because while I thought this one was fun in a stupid kind of way, Reloaded did keep up with some of the intelligent stuff, but then again, the best thing about Reloaded was how it was all build up, and left you dying to see what was gonna happen, knowing that the payoff is shitty might lessen my view of it.

All "good" movies though, meaning they were worth 7 dollars and a couple hours of my time, if only for the Yuen Wo Ping Choreographed kung foo and the special effects. I just think if you watch all three you end up with one amazing movie, and one six hour pretty cool movie.

• 10 months later...

B0002Y69NG.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Now I've always considered the Matrix series to be incredibly overrated so I admit I'm a little jaded when I look at this. But tell me, honestly, aren't they a little full of themselves here? Just as everyone suspected, the Matrix Trilogy will be released in a box set. Just to recap a couple recent trilogy box sets. Indiana Jones had a four disc box set. Star Wars had a four disc box set. The Matrix has a ten disc box set! Ten discs for three movies? Is that really necessary?

Let's run through them.

Disc 1 - The Matrix (complete with two new commentaries by critics and philosophers!

Disc 2 - The Matrix Revisited

Disc 3 - The Matrix Reloaded

Disc 4 - The Matrix Reloaded Revisited

Disc 5 - The Matrix Revolutions

Disc 6 - The Matrix Revolutions Revisited

Disc 7 - The Animatrix

Disc 8 - Roots of the Matrix (explores the "cinematic, philosophical, and technological inspirations" of the movies)

Disc 9 - The Burly Man Chronicles ("Probe the society of actors, craftspeople, and filmmakers who shaped the movie trilogy and Enter the Matrix video game")

Disc 10 - The Zion Archive (production assets, included concept art, music videos, trailers, storyboards etc...)

Now, honestly, is all that really necessary? Anyone who owns the original Matrix disc (back before all these delusions of grandeur were dreamed up) knows that it had some great supplemental features. Pretty much all you needed to know about the movie was in there already - on one disc. The same goes for the original releases of the sequels. But still they feel the need to produce six more discs of supplemental material! And let's not forget the retail price of 80 bucks. So I ask you, is the Matrix series really worthy of all that?

Wasn't the Alien "Quatinalogy" or whatever it's called 9 discs? It was so bad because it was an original cut of each movie on one disc each, and the "director's cut" on the next 4 discs and a special features disc with an overview documentary on it, but the "special editions" (they had to make Alien3 a "special edition because David Finch refused to have anything to do with a new edition, good man) had like only 5 extra minutes added. A real waste.

As for the Matrix box, if the second two had been as good as the first, this would be warrented. The first one was a rediculous ly incredible accomplishment. You may not like the first one SIBob, but I rarely see movies like this that appeal to so many people, form dumbass kids, to asshole dicks, to jaded goth kids, to cyber punks, to egotistical philosopher types, to intellectuals, to whatever. the Matrix was just an incredible movie. When film historian look back at the 90's they will see two movies as changing the way movies were made more than any others: Pulp Fiction and The Matrix.

All that praised aside, The Matrix will be, like Rocky, better remembered as a single film. I'm a big fan of extra features and I would love to hear that documentary track for the first film from the philosophers, but this is pretty silly.

And remember, when it comes out, the LOTR extended edition Trilogy box set will be 12 discs, if they don't throw on any more.

And remember, when it comes out, the LOTR extended edition Trilogy box set will be 12 discs, if they don't throw on any more.

That's true, but then half of the discs are the movies. And you're right, some other series have done it too (I think I recall Die Hard getting a six disc set). Usually they put out two disc sets for each movie and then maybe a bonus disc of extra special features. But I've never heard of a series that has more than twice as many bonus features discs as actual movie discs.

Archived