Hondo's Bar

Watch this, Super Mario lovers

BigChiefSlapaho

Luigi, Trevor Belmont, Dark Samus, and Dark Link all seem like pretty pointless pallete swipes but I'm psyched about Protoman and Bass. I don't know what Devil's from or Sophia for that matter, I just know she's one of the more fun characters from the original.

The main thing I learned from this game is that Contra Guy has a name.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Miyamoto & Tezuka answer Mario questions

In Super Mario World, the enemy Chargin' Chuck dresses like a football player but often throws baseballs. Why does he do that?

Miyamoto: He didn't throw a football?

There were some that kicked footballs, but most of them threw baseballs.

Takashi Tezuka: Well, at the time, one of the things we were trying to do with the resources we had was to introduce some variation. So we made the decision that this might be kind of weird, but let's go ahead and have some of these guys throw baseballs.

Miyamoto: I think that maybe the ones that threw baseballs were a little bit more fun, so we used a lot of them.

Time and again, Bowser kidnaps Peach. Why do Mario and Peach still race go-karts and play tennis with him?

SM: If you're familiar with things like Popeye and some of the old comic characters, you would oftentimes see this cast of characters that takes on different roles depending on the comic or cartoon. They might be businessman in one [cartoon] or a pirate in another. Depending on the story that was being told, they would change roles. So, to a certain degree, I look at our characters in a similar way and feel that they can take on different roles in different games. It's more like they're one big family, or maybe a troupe of actors.

super-mario-3.jpg

5388817583_2948cd80d8.jpgLakituSM64.png

...and 2 was a dream.

what i didn't know was, Donkey Kong was meant to be a Popeye game, but they didn't get the rights - although they did after DK's popularity, but by then, Jumpman/Mario was his own thing, and not long after, mushrooms were the new spinach cans.

Jumpman02.jpg

...it's funny how obvious that is looking back at the old arcade marquee.

additional trivia: the koopa kids aren't Bowsers, he only fathered Jr. your guess to their mother is as good as mine (Birdo? heh)

also, from here:

From the Iwata Asks interview with Yoichi Kotabe, the ex-Toei Animation employee who was responsible for standardising all the Mario character designs:

Miyamoto: Bowser changed a lot, too. I'd been drawing Mario for quite a while, so I knew what I wanted him to look like, but I hadn't drawn Bowser that much, so I couldn't get the lines to come together right. I like Toei Animation's work from around the time of Alakazam the Great, and the ox that appears in that...

Kotabe: Oh, I remember you talking about that.

Miyamoto: I told him how I liked that ox.

Kotabe: The ox king. Miyamoto-san liked that ox, and that was how he imagined Bowser. When you see the package art he drew, Bowser does look a bit like an ox. But after that, Takashi Tezuka said...

Miyamoto: He said it was a turtle.

Kotabe: I thought, “Oh, it's a turtle?”

Everyone: (laughs)

Miyamoto: I'd been drawing something completely incomprehensible—a turtle's body with an ox's head! (laughs) Through our discussions, his appearance eventually came together, though. Since Bowser was in the turtle family together with the Koopa Troopas, we began to see similar lines between the two, so we copied those as faithfully as possible and moved onto the next illustration. I started congratulating myself, saying, “Wow, I can really make Bowser look cool now!”

This is the ox mentioned in the interview, I think:

a-alakazam03.jpg

...and this is the original Miyamoto-drawn Bowser from the SMB box art, before Kotabe redesigned him:

Bowser_and_Peach_original_SMB.png

Also interesting: the name "Koopa" (or "Kuppa" as it was originally anglicised) was taken from a Korean rice dish, and not from the mythical reptilian creature from Japanese folklore called Kappa:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Damn, good cover! As much as I love 64, my fave in the series has gotta go to Super Mario Sunshine. It was beautiful on the GC at the time, and practically demands a sequel on current/future hardware. At least an HD Remaster. One I'd gladly rebuy.

i wish i loved Sunshine like some did...i thought the FLUDD thing was fun, my main gripe was that after 64, i just felt way too limited in the levels/settings. that might be my favorite thing about 64 - i'd be all about dire dire docks, then onto a ghost house, volcano, penguin racing and the like.

Sunshine did some cool things - man, my hands got so sweaty on those bonus minimal levels with the classic music - but most times i felt i was at some form of a beachfront

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...