Hondo's Bar

The Life Aquatic

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the full res version for us Mac-friendly types:

http://lifeaquatic.movies.go.com/clips/cli...er&size=QThuge&

The trailer is fucking hilarious!

I'd been purposely avoiding any info about the movie so that it wouldn't be spoiled, and I'm glad I waited... it looks like another Wes Anderson masterpiece. What I love is that the more popular he becomes and the bigger his budgets get, you can really start to see his hand-drawn storyboards come to life.

Very much looking forward to this one. Just like everything else Anderson's done, it should be awesome.

• 4 months later...

Rushmore didn't get all golden reviews either.

Anyways, yeah Tu is right TLA is the business. Top 10 of the year definitly. I will say however I wasn't too impressed until the pirate scene but after that I was hooked, so yeah it's slllllllllooooooooooooowwwwwwwww, even for a Anderson flick but from the Soccer named guitar playing banging out Bowie in Portugese (that's what it is right), to the claymation sealife, to Defoe just plain kicking ass,to...well, I could go on forever.

GO SEE THE LIFE AQUATIC WITH STEVE ZISSOU!

Yes, it was indeed Bowie in Portugeuse. Well, alot of you guys on this board are Wes Anderson fans, and to you I say "You won't be disappointed." Trust me. It's right up your alley. I've watched all of Wes Anderson's movie (except Bottle Rocket) and don't really understand the fasination. There's like comedies that aren't funny. Anyway, I've enjoyed the three movies of his I've seen, but I wouldn't want to see them again, and don't get you people that think Anderson is the voice of our generation. I must admit though, the man is very good with soundtracks though. But if you like Wes' style, this is will be your new favorite or a close second (or a close third).

LL and I went to see it last night. I loved it I believe she did as well, but I guess I'll let her post her review.

The movie was great. A couple of people left the theatre and one guy shouted "This movie sucks." I felt pity for them because they prefer movies like 2 Fast 2 Furious and XXX where paying attention to dialogue or scene is not important. All that matters is that there are fast cars and hot chicks...well, sometimes that is good. But if you can't appreciate the subtle humors and outstanding acting jobs of these types of movies then you can go watch something else. I'll be talking about this one with my friends I guess. Fuck the water cooler shit. 5 stars.

I felt pity for them because they prefer movies like 2 Fast 2 Furious and XXX where paying attention to dialogue or scene is not important. All that matters is that there are fast cars and hot chicks...well, sometimes that is good. But if you can't appreciate the subtle humors and outstanding acting jobs of these types of movies then you can go watch something else.

The nominees for this year Award for Obnoxiously Elitist Film Review are...dante, for The Life Aquatic Review...oh screw the otehr nominees...the award goes to dante!

statue.gif

There is your statuette, representing your superiority to the rest of mankind. Congratulations! You truly are a god among men, and thank you for not letting us forget!

*acceptance speech* I'd like to thank the academy, my mother who pushed me to strive for elitedom, and Jax for whom without my nomination none of this could be made possible.

Hey, I like action movies like anyone else, but I can also appreciate a good movie that needs paying attention to. Many apologies for the opinionated...well, opinion of the movie and the people who went to see it, but did not like it. I didn't say they couldn't have an opinion for themselves as to what a good movie consists of, I just feel kinda sorry for them that they can't appreciate a different style of movie...it's more of a horizons thing. TLA may not even be a movie that follows in line with it, but I appreciated it.

It's good to know that a criticism can be criticized as well in an endless sea of continual-criticism. Let's have someone criticize my reply as being too lenient or too light. In an act of contrition, let me recall my review of the movie so that it may be less of an egotistical representation of myself.

The movie was good. It was fun. Bill Murray was funny....oh fuck it. You're a stupid sap if you don't like this movie. Because only I know what is a great movie and only I can tell you what you should be watching. Listen to me for I am God on Earth. Repent now and watch The Life Aquatic for it is Scripture. There will be recitals of lines from the movie at every half hour! And Bill Murray will be martyred and sacrificed because he deserves the recognition! ALL HAIL GOD. DANTE = VERY YES!

man this is too lengthy. But yeah, Jax, thanks for the award :D

Hollywood is abuzz over dants's film review award acceptance speech! Many insiders are now speculating that dante is a shoo-in for the 2005 AASA (Award Acceptance Speech Award). He is certainly the leading candidate, but there is alot of tiem before the nominations. Stay tuned for more (or Moore, his acceptance speechs are good too)!

Audience member"What exactly would be the scientific purpose of killing the shark?"

Bill Murray "(long pause)...Revenge."

One of my favorite lines, and it's in the first 5 minutes of the movie. It only get's better from there.

Finally went to see this one tonight. Took me long enough, been planning on seeing it for weeks.

I'd be lying if I said I loved it. It definitely had some great highlights (William Dafoe gushing about his name being next to the dolphin on the flag, the bond stooge, the killer soundtrack and the end scene with them all crowded onto the yellow submarine) and I did enjoy it, but overall the characters left me cold.

I love Anderson's quirkiness but I found the huge spectrum of characters so overwhelming the whole thing felt thinnly spread. I felt some characters were given too much screen time and others not enough, most notably, Angelica Huston who was brilliant as always. I found her character the most interesting, yet it was never developed.

Just because I'm being negative though doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it, I would certainly place it above most of the films I saw last year, although probably not in my top 10.

Also, MLB, I hope you don't feel like you're time watching this movie was wasted, because by not being able to "appreciate the subtle humors and outstanding acting jobs of these types of movies" because you and I "prefer movies like 2 Fast 2 Furious and XXX where paying attention to dialogue or scene is not important", we are privy to dante's feeling of pity for us, and I don't know about you, but that makes me feel OK about it. I often feel guilty not liking all the same movies as my intelectual superior, so it's always comforting to me to now they don't hold it against me. Don't you feel the same way?

Archived