Hondo's Bar

Samurai Champloo

The NZA

Ok, so largely on miss MetalHeart's say-so, I downloaded the first few episodes of this one. Ive only finished # 1 as of this thread, but this is cool shit, and it looks like what ive been lookin for, for a while now: since Kenshin, i cant seem to find a samurai anime worth a crap, much less one visually/style on par with Cowboy Bebop, and i think ive found it here.

I've now got 17 episodes (no idea how high it goes....Baka?), and wish i had more time this weekend for a marathon, because the 3 main characters seem interestin. The 2 main guys (one fights with an almost breakdance style, the other more traditional) having their fight in a burning house in the 1st episode alone got me interested...ill post more on this one after ive seen more, but im hyped.

samurai_champloo_wallpaper.jpg

Yes! It's super nice!!

EDITstupidstupidstupidstupidstupidstupidstupidstupidstupidstupidstupid

stupidstupidstupidstupidstupidstupidstupidstupidstupidstupidstupid

(not the anime, me.)

blah blah blah I'll shut my mouth now! or.... my fingers?

I fucked up. bleh.

Edited by MetalHeart

Yeah, onto ep. 3, or mebbe sleep first....

hah, thanks MH, no $ to buy em as of yet, but i might take you up on that offer...anyway, do you or CJ happen to know what episode this series goes up to? Is it finished in japan or still ongoing?

Cj has only seen up to 16, but he things there's 24/26ish episodes...

annnnnnnd Forget what I said down there. Cj says he knows it's been picked up, but doesn't know by who. Somehow he thought I was asking him about FMA... :D

But the offer still stands. and when is your birthday? if it's not to much you wouldn' thave to worry about any sort of money or anything!

Well, im on # 7 now, and im really enjoying this series, cant thank you enough for :D ing out MH!

Just downloaded the entire OST and the last of the 24 episodes, lookin forward to seein it in its entirety...im a huge sucker for good samurai manga, but anime in that vien is surprisingly hard to find...this series is the shit. Post more wallpapers if you find em!

15 episdoes in now, and i havent had this much fun with a series since....well, since Cowboy Bebop, i think. The adventure of these 3 is really cool, and the characterization/flashback episodes really shine, too. I cant believe more people arent watchin this one...feels like another where im gonna be sad when its over, cause there's a sea of anime i dont enjoy as much as this.

A reivew of the first episode by AICN:

Samurai Champloo is Cowboy Bebop director Shinichiro Watanabe's genre/music fusion follow-up to his hit work, in this case combining jidaigeki samurai serials with scratch editing. Where as "bebop" reflected an improvisation nature of the series, its willingness to carry a moment of inspiration into a new direction, "champloo", an Okinawan work for mix doesn't so much hop genre as experiment in blending musical with visually techniques.

The series grabs attentions with an opening that contrasts traditional motifs with highly stylized colorful renditions of the characters set against a beat rap. Once it engages, you've seen why these characters fight, but you've never seen anything like how they fight. The episodic stories construct situations along familiar samurai serial lines, but through a mixer's filter: rewinds, jagged transitions, non-sequitor cuts, montages.

The distinction could easily become artificial, a loud high concept conceit, but it fits the characters and plays with stylistic authenticity. The character's personalities, especially the regimented and flexible dynamics of the two lead swordsmen give the series to distinct beats to opperated with. Working with dazzling action, swords fights are as impressive as any medium's best that given a sense of body and space that make them far less predictable than the standard advance and strike, the mix is picks from amazing frames of action.

The series pays relatively concrete respect towards the limitations of human abilities, without anime's frequent giant mid-battle leaps, yet stylistically it flaunts anachronism, melding modern extensions of the characters' in period apparel. For example, the young spoiled gangster son of a corrupt governor has bleached hair, a pierced eye brow, and a kimono that looks more like a warm up suit.

As expected from the genre template, the series follows three vagrants. In appearances and style Mugen is a unique addition to the genre, a scruffy swordsman from Ryukyus (Okinawa) itching to measure himself against any opponent. The character fights with visually engrossing technique of spins and kicks, integrating his metal plated sandals into his sword strikes. His foil, Jin is the more familiar wandering, masterless samurai, vissually distinguished by a set of glasses, but reserved, and formal, with a traditional fighting style. While he has a mind for justice, a fight also peeks his interest. The pair are chained together by Fuu a headstrong teen orphan with a strange set of physical and mental skilled who corrals the other two into not killing each other and helping her find the samurai "who smells of sunflowers".

The first episode is a showcase of the series' offerings, a pauseless exercise in applying the new series' style to the meeting of the principle characters, and their fight with a corrupt governor.

I downloaded the first 6 eps about 5 or 6 months ago. I kinda let it slip since I was into FMA at the time and Suprnova wasn't dishing them out as fast as I liked. I think I'll start finding them again because, yeah, the series does kick ass, and the guy with the breakdance style reminds me of Spike just less cooler. He's more rash in everything he does.

I enjoyed FMA and Bebop so much that I hated when they ended. I started watching FMA from the beginning again and a friend of mine also pimped out Naruto to me. Although I have yet to find the first couple of eps of that.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually like it when anime series are written to end. I don't like the direction most written-to-never-end animes like Dragonball or Sailor Moon take. When a series is written as a limited run, like Cowboy Bebop or Trigun or Neon Genesis Evangelion, the writing is tight and the story is focused. Most episodes make an effort at progressing things, if only in character develop if not in plot.

I'm gonna start trying to watch this one.

But sailormoon actually does end... It might take a few series to get there... but it eventually does.

And I hate Dragonball Z!!!! :ill: Especially how all of their fight scenes last about 3 or 4 episodes... such a waste of fucking time!

I like how this one (samurai champloo) is only 26 episodes! Short and straight to the point! :D

Edited by alita

You're missing my point. Sailor Moon eventually ends, sure, but it was a series that didn't have an end in sight for like over 10 seasons. Cowboy Bebop wasn't cancelled or anything. It was a series written from the beginning knowing it was going to end. There's a difference,

Yeah, im at 21 or so, and im with MH: of course im dyin to see how their quest turns out, im kinda reluctant to see it go. :D It does feel like a quest ending, a friend leavin, etc - i go through this with RPG's too.

After this, i dont even know...Wolf's Rain, mebbe? Anyway, for those interseted, again, ive got the whole thing, fansubbed, great quality, and the soundtrack, fits on 1 dvd with a few gigs to spare i think.

What a cool-ass series this was. The main characters, the battles, the music, general feel of it....just cool, not much out there like this. I truly enjoyed it, sad to see its over but glad i got to see it. :D

Anyone else interested, its all backed up to a single DVD now, soundtrack and all, great fansubs too.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I have this entire series and Its REALLY GOOOOD @_@... Unique genres of cartoons are friggin awsome... Cowboy Bebop willl always be my favorite of all time though... but this anime is just rediculously awsome... Its like theres a party in my pants... and everyones invited!!!!!!! X-D

I've seen a couple episodes on Adult Swim, but I never know what the hell is going on...It seems cool, but could someone clarify the story for me..?

bascially, episode 1 sets up Jin & Mugen as ronin who wish to battle, but resolve they wont until they repay a debt to a girl who saves their asses when they get caught in a bad situation. The girl, in return, wants them to wander throughout Japan until she finds a samurai who smells like sunflowers....

it basically follows that, and its awesome. I have it copied on DVD around here somewhere, definitely worth seeing, especially if you enjoy high-qualty, stylish anime like Cowboy Bebop.

Im with IceMan, but im not quite attending the party yet.

• 5 months later...
but this anime is just rediculously awsome... Its like theres a party in my pants... and everyones invited!!!!!!! X-D

I couldn't say that better myself, alright dude, you and IC and everyone else that loves this anime is fucking awesomest. ALright... Gotta say though Mugen's the man. I love Jin too, but I gotta go for the bad boy... ahhh! What am I saying?!!?!?! I can't choose between to the two of 'em! Aahhhh!!! -_-"

(btw, thanks for the sound tracks IC, I F'ing love 'em!)

champloo3bb.jpg

• 11 months later...

This anime is in my Top 5 of greatest animes ever. It's just so cool, dynamic and great...

For all the people who said that Dragon Ball was terrible, I really recommend to you: Go for the manga. It's 20 times superior in every aspect. It's more fast (in story telling) it's more funny, it never slow down. One perfect example is the epic battle between Goku and Freezer. In the anime it's like 30 episodes. In the comic it's 2 or 3 ish... And the story doesn't have all the crap that the anime does have. The explanation for this it's the same for all the great animes. The japs start doing the anime before the comic it's finnished. Of course in some point they reach the point which the story is in the comic and they have to create stupid stories because they have to let the creator (in this case Akira Toriyama) advance with the story. The DB comic is 42 tankoubons long. Tankoubons are the 200 pags compliation comics...