Hondo's Bar

Dante answers...

dante

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why we got so many generic question threads? I want more specialty question threads, like TulipO kicks your Ass. You don't kick ass. You must have something that makes you unique that's capable of being formed into a unique question thread theme. Well, isn't there?

I just figure I answer questions from my perspective. I don't want to use a gimmick to answer questions - just plain old me. But if you so desire, I can answer technical computer questions or how-to for Photoshop, and Flash (but you'll have to give me some time on that - I've been brushing up for creating my friend's website).

Then ask them your questions. I don't expect this thread to flourish, I'm just posting in case someone had a question I could answer.

I've got one...

I bought a new 160GB hard drive before I got broadband since my old 20GB wasn't gonna cut it anymore. Foolishly i never got round to partitioning it and filled about 100-120GB on it (didn't delete movies after I'd put them to disc although there's a good few not backed up).

One night I decided to convert an .avi movie to DVD readable, since that takes a few hours I left it running overnight. When I turned the monitor on the next morning the converting program wasn't running which I'd no explanation for. I went on the internet for a bit, was working fine so on the way out to work I decided to run the converting prog again. It was a bit slow to react so I figured I'd restart the PC.

But it did not restart... :D

I've been getting "A disk read error occurred Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart", I've ran ScanDisk which says I have file system errors which I don't really have a clue what that means or how to resolve the problem, can you help?

I've had the problem where I come back and some programs that were running in the background along with any open programs I had were gone. I attribute this to errors that cause explorer.exe to crash temporarily. When explorer.exe does this, your desktop icons and start menu disappear for a few seconds, then reappear as if you started Windows up again.

I need to know though, does Windows come up at all? What happens when you try to start the computer?

ALEX BROKE A PIN ON THE HARD DRIVE I GAVE HIM, THATS FRIGGIN 40GIGS OF SPACE HE TRASHED, HOME OF MY FUTURE LINUX BOX.

Any fixes or know any places that can replace that? It looks liek I can change the controller card, but are the pin array part of it?

I've had the problem where I come back and some programs that were running in the background along with any open programs I had were gone. I attribute this to errors that cause explorer.exe to crash temporarily. When explorer.exe does this, your desktop icons and start menu disappear for a few seconds, then reappear as if you started Windows up again.

I need to know though, does Windows come up at all? What happens when you try to start the computer?

The same error message, "A disk read error occurred Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" against a blank screen, again and again when I try to use the 160GB drive. Fortunately my old 20GB still had an op system, hence my PC is currently a little bit more than the paperweight it could've been...

Are you able to set the 160GB drive as a slave to the other one?

If you aren't able to, then it's possible that your HD crapped out. If you are able to view the media, and have an available burner (DVD or otherwise) you might consider backing up your data to some media form, hopefully DVDs. Then try a couple of things before giving up on that drive.

1) If your drive is under warranty get them to fix it...what brand is it?

2) perform a FIXMBR on the drive to see if one of the startup files went corrupt. Do this with the 160GB HD as the master, not slave!

3) See if you can reformat the drive after backing up your info.

4) If you are fed up by this point, target practice.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a problem where it was a black screen when I installed my new 80 gig drive. Something about "Hey I'm fucked retart me" or something.

Turns out that the HDD came with a CD that has a boot loader, and no matter how many times I installed my windows it will never properly boot w/o the boot loader.

So basically I installed the bootloader, let the PC boot, and it came to an option that says to boot from disk press so and so, boot from HDD press so and so (defaults times out and boots from HDD after 10 seconds). Unless I booted the CD and installed from this point, it WILL NOT WORK. Try as you might, if you boot directly from the CD w/o this screen, your installation will fail after wasting 3hrs installing your O/S

Hope that gives you some clue.

Daytripper:

A broken pin, you might as well toss it. 40 gig HDs aren't too expensive anymore. Maybe 30 bucks.

I'm gonna redo my Linux box with this release called Ubuntu.

With the 80GB, you have gotten it to install windows right? But it still needs the CD to boot properly? Is that right? Because if that is the case you may be able to edit the BOOT.ini file. remember that shit we did in class?

Let me know if this helps.

Nah the CD was just for installing the new and improved bootloader. I actually like it. Just have to remeber to wait till it comes up. Ill give you more info as I come across it.

Have you heard of Gentoo linux? loving it. Too bad linux sucks for gaming (even with a gnome/wine setup)

$40 bucks for a 40 gig? where? any for $20?

:)~~~

how do i get pictures off of my camera without seeing or saving to my computer the x-rated ones from nick's trip to cali?

It is inevitable...heh.

If you just plug in the device with USB and the explorer comes up you might want to switch the view to list mode. Select the naughty naughty in list form and move to Nick's. If you don't know which is which, move them all and ask him to move yours back. Then kick nick for doing naughty naughty with your camera.

LL01.jpg

If you have a program that opens up for this in particular. I don't know I never saw how you do it, then you may want to try and cancel before it opens. Then check Explorer (WindowKey + E) to see if it comes up as a Removable Device, or the name of your camera as a drive letter (possibly F: because you've got two CD/DVD drives.

If an option comes up asking you what you want to do, select to Explore the files. I forgot what the option says exactly but the picture is of an open folder.

Else get Nick to do it.

This good?

Archived