Hondo's Bar

War of the Worlds

I don't know why I expected this to be mediocre, probably because I'm as sick as everyone else of remakes and adaptations, but War of the Worlds was freaking excellent.

So far this is the first movie this summer that has really been a spectacle in every meaning of the word. And here I thought I had outgrown the whiz-bang summer action blockbuster movie, it's just that noone's put out a good one in a while. This made me feel like I was 12 again, actually excited and thrilled by big monsters and action scenes. I now realize that the "wow" factor doesn't come from special effects alone, but from damned good direction.

Can't say enough about it, it's great, there are some absolutely brilliant scenes in this movie, and they're only sparesly interrupted by poorly scripted character crap, and even that stuff isn't altogether unbearable.

Watch this, it's much better than you think it is, sure it's a remake/adaptation, but what it really is is a chance for speilberg to have free reign over his style and have fun with a movie without worrying about going for any oscars.

Somebody I know said this movie sucked..., but he don't know shit about movies!! I can't wait to see this!! This with Batman: Begins, Land of the Dead and (I guess) Fantastic 4 where my highly antcipated movies of this summer!

I'm not saying it's gonna win "Best Comic Book Movie" any time soon (Sin City already holds that title), but I am curious to see how it turns out! At first, I was scared (*enter Trailer-Guy voice* "One is bad, 4 are... Fantastic"), but with each preview I see I wanna see it a little more!! Ef you, The Nick!!

God, with each preview I want to see it less and less. Gotta love those brilliantly written dialogue exchanges.

"Let's not fight." "No, let's."

"Look at me." "I can't."

I get the feeling that the brilliantly cast Chris Evans is going to be the only watchable part of that movie (and this is coming from a Michael Chiklis fan)

Michael Chiklis has said that back when he was fourteen, he told his cousin that if they ever made a Fantastic Four movie, he wanted to play Ben Grimm. Not alot of fourteen year olds say that about Ben Grimm. I think his performance will be great cause he really wanted to play it.

I think it will be too, I just don't think the movie around his performance will be any good, and I hope they find better ways to use his character than they have in the trailer (by the way, anyone notice that they removed the "It's clobberin' time" from the most recent trailer?)

They should rename it Tom Cruise the movie with one fucking minute of aliens doing stuff.

Haha...to be fair, i wouldnt fork over to see a movie by that title. Unless he was fighting psychiatrists.

That's why i don't get hung up on what these people are like on a personal level, 90% of them are insane or just not nice people.

Especially actors, hell, theater people I'm meeting in college now are fuckin nuts, god forbid someone give them 20 million dollars.

Shit if I learned more about the personalities of these fuckin flakes I'd hate movies altogether.

I really liked the movie, saw it the day it came out with Darth, Baka Neko, and another friend of ours. I, personally, like it very much. Darth, on the other hand, says he preferred Independence day to this one... but I'll let him post his own comments later. I think it was done wonderfully, though.

Wow!! Great movie!! Not as good as thought it was gonna be, though! I thought that it was gonna be UNBELEIVEABLY GOOD, but it just turned out to be BELEIVEABLY GOOD!! I don't know... I tried to explain it to Sarah and she didn't get me either! Anyways, it was still great!! I'll tell ya somethin' else too... Dakota Fanning should be Tom Cruise's daughter in every movie he does for the rest of thier lives!! Them together was awesome! Was it better than ID4? I don't know! Both great, but I'll tell ya why this one was so "mixed" for people! For a second in the movie you forget that it's an alien movie and start to think that it's a 9/11 movie! Not saying that in a crisis like that, they wouldn't be similar, but I think Spielberg was pushin' for that effect! Some people might of thought it was insensitive! I didn't really care... it was still great!

• 10 months later...
I'm not saying it's gonna win "Best Comic Book Movie" any time soon (Sin City already holds that title).

Wait a fucking second, how did Pancho call Sin City the "Best Comic Book Movie", therefore indirectly saying that Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 aren't the "Best Comic Book Movies", without the world exploding out of sheer improbability?

Archived