Hondo's Bar

Serenity

This movies was in-fucking-credible. This was way more than a simple Firefly movie. This was incredible. I actually saw it at 4pm yesterday with bishopcruz and then saw it again at 10pm with my sister and our roommate. I was talking about it with her afterwards, and she said she thought people who never saw the series would like it, but then I ran into an old friend from FIU, and she and her friends had never seen Firefly and they dug it. Now they didn't really apriaciate things like Mal and Inara's relationship, or Kaylee's feelings for Simon, but then still felt that there was history.

This movie had the best setup of any movie adaptation I've ever seen. They set up the story about the central planets and terra-forming in a way that was interesting and new for the Firefly fans, then they setup up the Simon and River story with new shit that the Firefly fans didn't know about, but basically fills everyone else in too. Basically what I've saying is it was enough to draw new people in, but not bore old Firefly fans, something that's really tricky for adaptations from another format.

The last 45 minutes were so intense, you were on the edge the whole time. I'll be watching this one again.

If you haven't seen the movie, I beg you not to click the spoilers

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep pretty damn amazing, thought it ran a wee bit into exopsition territory, early on, but once things kick into high gear the movie doesn't stop, you're kinda, I dunno, numb at the end. there is just so much that happens. Also, takes for last night were pretty decent, Serenity came in 2nd to flight plan by about 1/2 a million dollars, Not bad considering Flightplan is on over 1,000 more screens.

Still, interesting to see, personally I think that most people who aren't fans of the show will dig it, some of the people I saw it with last night, well, actually one, didn't seem to like it at all. Then again, Firefly was very much, ya love it, or ya hate it. So, yeah. Then again she was never a sci-fi person.

FINALLY got to see Serenity tonight after much drama and trauma.

Three words, my lovelies, three words indeed:

Oh. My. God.

The graphics, the action, the wit, the humor, the language, the shock factor - it was like a breath of fresh air - and then it got kicked violently out of my chest.

I have to see it again before I post a real review, but I will say this: Joss out did himself a thousand times over. He really made some ballsy moves with this flick. I've read around the web that people that screened this flick went through a rollercoaster of emotions and left the theater feeling numb. And I have to say those statements are spot-on. I saw it with a newcomer to the 'Verse and she enjoyed it. DJ and I will see it tomorrow night (his first time, my second). I really hope and pray that this movie will go beyond it's $80M ceiling so that we can have more Serenity goodness in the future.

Can't stop the signal.

It was indeed in-fucking-credible. I've heard it be favorably compared to Star Wars (not just the past three movies, either), and people once again saying that Fox is brain-dead for cancelling the tv series (this time from people that hadn't seen the series :pinch: ). Here's to hoping that a) there willl be more movies b) there will be more of the television series c) Fox will be barred from ever touching a decent series again d) all of the above, and any continuation of Frifly will continue to rock.

Ho-lee shit

I really don't know what to say that doesn't have to be put under a spoiler tag. Except maybe, go see this freakin' movie. No, go buy Firefly, watch it all then go see this freakin' movie.

Now here be spoilers.

I'm a picky guy, I can pick out some slight complaints if I really have to. Like, let's see, not even a single scrap of information about Blue Sun or the "hands of blue" guys? Caving in and putting sound in space? Nothing about Book's deep dark secret? (though I'm figuring he used to be an Operative, now) And there were many times where it started leaning pretty far away from its original Western sensibilities and deep into Star Trek territory. But I'm just reaching now. All in all it was a great movie, great science fiction. If there's any justice in this world, Serenity should be the beginning of the next Star Wars-type franchise.

Or, hey, maybe someone will wanna make a TV show out of it.

Still, interesting to see, personally I think that most people who aren't fans of the show will dig it, some of the people I saw it with last night, well, actually one, didn't seem to like it at all. Then again, Firefly was very much, ya love it, or ya hate it. So, yeah. Then again she was never a sci-fi person.

hm... i wonder who bishopcruz was talking about :wank:

i didn't totally hate it... i just thought it was um.. not good? lol there's a difference i swear! if it wasn't for the fact that you really need to see firefly to understand a lot of stuff, i wouldn't have minded it so much. meh.. one day i'll watch the series.. i mean, c'mon... look who i'm dating for crap's sake. :yup:

It pains me to know that there are people in the 'Verse that don't get into this series and its movie. :wank: But I refuse to give up hope that enough Browncoats will be able to successfully introduce friends and family to Serenity and Firefly that it can continue in some form or another.

On that note, now that the Big Damn Movie got made, let's try for a BDT - the Big Damn TRILOGY!

I'm a picky guy, I can pick out some slight complaints if I really have to. Like, let's see, not even a single scrap of information about Blue Sun or the "hands of blue" guys? Caving in and putting sound in space? Nothing about Book's deep dark secret? (though I'm figuring he used to be an Operative, now) And there were many times where it started leaning pretty far away from its original Western sensibilities and deep into Star Trek territory. But I'm just reaching now. All in all it was a great movie, great science fiction. If there's any justice in this world, Serenity should be the beginning of the next Star Wars-type franchise.

Well, the sound in space was actually in upper atmo, look at where the ships were in relation to the planet, sound owuld still travel at that point ( though a lot more muted than in the movie) if you noticed that was the only place where there was sound. So, I didn't think it was a cop out.

As for sequels, we need to get a bunch of people to see the film again this weekend. The opening wasn't particularly strong, (only $10m) and another bad weekend could tank the whole damn thing.

So fuck Wallace and Gromit, and see this again.

Mmm, a Wallace & Gromit trilogy.  :muggin:  The only problem with that'n is that it takes five years to make each movie.  :muggin:

Anyone on this board goes to see Serenity again this weekend and I'll bake you a dozen cookies.

*nods*

...As if the prospect of a sequel or even a trilogy ISNT ENOUGH INCENTIVE.

Trilogy, O Trilogy

I want my trilogy

Don't stop at one

Don't stop at two

Gorram it, give me three!

Trilogy, O Trilogy

Is what I want to see

Someday I'll own a box set

Of that BIG DAMN TRILOGY!

They said we couldn't do it

They said our show should die

They took our love, they took our land

They cancelled our Firefly

But one thing they didn't reckon

'Bout our fan psychology

Is Browncoats carry Greenbacks

And we want our TRILOGY!

Trilogy, O Trilogy

I want my trilogy

Don't stop at one

Don't stop at two

Trilogy, O Trilogy

Is what I want to see

They say the best things in this ‘verse,

Always come in threes,

Musketeers and stooges,

LOTR DVDs.

When a show’s got ships and shepherds,

The Alliance and Blue Sun,

And Gina and Jewel and Morena and Summer,

It’s too pretty to stop at one!

Trilogy, O Trilogy

I want my trilogy

Don't stop at one

Don't stop at two

Trilogy, O Trilogy

Is what I want to see

Edited by Rubys Angel

.....jesus.

1) you can enjoy this without Firefly, but i have no idea why you should....the opening scenes alone were powerful for me, knowing the backstroy.

2) bishop was right, tho: despite the strong opening, seeing the crew, it took me like 10, 15 minutes to setttle in, didnt feel like Firefly at first, but then the dialogue started rolling and i was all in it.

SB had a point about the lack of western, but i guess big budget designates gettin in all the sci-fi youve been wanting to.

That said...holy fuck! Again, the difference i kept thinking by the end between this & say, Matrix trilogy, was, good plot aside, i really fucking care for these characters, which in & of itself is impressive, given the number of them.

This more than made up for my letdown in recent sci-fi franchises from SW, Matrix etc....be it comics, show or movies, there needs to be way more of this if there's any justice at all.

I intend to pick the series up on DVD, and show it to more folks. Not sure why i hesitated, but Mal is offiically one of my goddamn heroes. Mad love to Jax, Ruby, bishop & others for insisting i get into this series...im off to go sign up with Ruby's browncoats.

..done. I cant wait...not often i see a fantatsic movie & get rewarded for it. :)

IMDB shows it as taking 4.9 mil this weekend, clearing 17.6 total so far....what was the goal again? I can go throw another six bucks at it sometime....and DVD sales oughta be phenomenol, i hear Firefly is gettign sales again.

..done.  I cant wait...not often i see a fantatsic movie & get rewarded for it. :)

IMDB shows it as taking 4.9 mil this weekend, clearing 17.6 total so far....what was the goal again?  I can go throw another six bucks at it sometime....and DVD sales oughta be phenomenol, i hear Firefly is gettign sales again.

:) the goal is $80M. Now I don't know what the international figures are gonna be - I know Australia gave it $1.7M opening weekend and that's with ZERO advertising. That's just word-of-mouth grassroots efforts by the Aussie Browncoats - you guys RULE! The UK should be getting some pretty good figures though, 'cos from what I'm understanding there's like 20-ft high banners adorning buildings, underground stations, trailers playing everywhere, they're really pushing this flick over there. Elsewhere... who knows. I know in some countries the flick hasn't even been released yet and won't until november, december, even January of 06. DVD sales will soar, too, I'm sure, but being as they're from different production companies, I sincerely doubt that the DVD sales will help push the Big Damn Sequel. 'Course it won't HURT, but at this point I'd rather have someone drop $40 on buying tickets than buying DVDs.

Nick, I'm really glad you enjoyed the show and the movie - I had a feeling it would be right up your alley, as I said in your PM. Personally I've never been one to get into scifi OR westerns, OR works by Joss Whedon (sorry Joss) but the bizarre mating of the two themes under Joss' command (his 'unique vision' as the trailers say) made for a show that is VERY easy to get addicted to.

CSTS.gif

I dunno...ive read about both The Transporter and Pitch Black getting horrendous openings, but still getting big sequels. I dont know how solid a benchmark that is, but the show's selling lot hotcakes again on Amazon, and interest is definitely there.

Whedon's at the helm direction a Wonder Woman flick in '06, apparently, but I'm not giving up hope here - sure, getting a large cast together again for more movies or shows is tricky enough without dealing with Fox or Universal, but he's switched networks before with his previous efforts....i'm saying: dont count anything out yet.

Personally, id be happy just to see a regular comic from it, but i think we can still get more than that from the franchise....too many people saw how great it could be from Serenity to just abandon the property. Christ, didnt this happen to Star Trek?

ps more great wallpapers here.

serenitywpsm.jpg

I dunno...ive read about both The Transporter and Pitch Black getting horrendous openings, but still getting big sequels.  I dont know how solid a benchmark that is, but the show's selling lot hotcakes again on Amazon, and interest is definitely there.

Yeah The Transporter and Pitch Black both got sequels based on DVD sales alone, and we all know how well this series sells on DVD. Don't count 'em out just yet.