Hondo's Bar

Back to the 80's

MusicManiac

awesome80s2vk.jpg

** As the title says, Welcome to Back to the 80's!! Some people hate it, some people love it... Whether you like the 80's or you only want to ask for help identifying an old classic that you have since forgotten.

On January 15, 2005 a poll was taken via online world wide by Rolling Stone Magazine and Virgin Radio UK to determine what genre of music was most popular. According to a poll taken by Virgin Radio in the U.K., 80's Music was one of the best! Polling some 20,000 listeners, the station was looking for the Top 500 songs of all time. In that list, over 158 of the 500 were songs from the 80's. The seventies closely followed with 141 songs chosen. The 1990's showed up with 95 songs and the 1960's appropriatley had 60. The rest of the 500 was songs from the last five years. Eighties classics which made the list included "Pride" by U2, "Every Breath You Take" by The Police and "Don’t You Want Me" by Human League, "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell, "Livin' On A Prayer" by Bon Jovi, "The Love Cats" by The Cure and "Paradise City" by Guns 'n' Roses.

Discuss any 80's music topic with like minded people, take part in the various quizzes which are regularly updated, news, and song and album discussions by our members and even set your own. Retro-way, make yourself at home and make full use of the boards facilities.

--------------------------------------------------------

pure80spoplogo4qi.jpg

Some of the most popular records of the decade

z12ne.jpg

z24di.jpg

z36bq.jpg

z48qh.jpg

Billy had alot of great material that came out in both the 70's and Billy Joel actually had 14 singles released in the 80's:

Glass Houses (March 1980)

You May Be Right

Don't Ask Me Why

It's Still Rock & Roll To Me

The Nylon Curtain (September 1982)

Allentown

Pressure

An Innocent Man (August 1983)

An Innocent Man

The Longest Time

Tell Her About It

Uptown Girl

Keeping The Faith

The Bridge (July 1986)

This Is The Time

A Matter Of Trust

Storm Front (October 1989)

We Didn't Start The Fire

I Go To Extremes

His 6 albums from the 70's: Cold Spring Harbor (1971), Piano Man (1973), Streetlife Serenade (1974), Turnstiles (1976), The Stranger (1977) and 52nd Street (1978) only produced 10 hits. He made hits from both decades but clearly the bulk of his success came from the 80's.

Yeah, but see, there's 2 catergories for me, for the 80's: good music, and retro.

Retro = those one-hit wonders you have to think about to remember that will only sound good if you heard them when you were young (fine young cannibals, flock of seagulls, etc). Then there's the stuff that'dve worked in any period: MJ, joel, sting & the police, genesis, etc.

I just dont think of "the way you make me feel" and "99 luffballons" in the same context.

Agreed, although you have to admit that One Hit Wonder songs like "Come on Eileen" are still hummed to this day. I always hated that 99 Luft Balloon song. :pinch: LOL

Hell alot of material could have worked in any era, my personal fave (alot of you may laugh) is Hall and Oates... and MJ ... shit, he was in his peak in the 80's and undisputed on the airwaves. :humping:

wow.. arch is on this thread, i would have never guessed it. lol ;)

in the 80s.. awesomeness was encompassed by....

B000002WAD.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

"Together forever and never to past... Together forever we two... And don't you know I would move heaven and earth... To be together forever with you"

:blink:

"Never gonna give you up... Never gonna let you down... Never gonna run around and desert you... Never gonna make you cry... Never gonna say goodbye.. Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you"

LOL

I thought I'd pimp an album for some reason I just can't stop listening to...

The Nightfly takes over where Steely Dan left off after Goucho. Every track is different, the music is brilliant and the lyrics all tell fascinating, separate stories. I bought the LP, then the cassette and finally the CD. It is no exageration to say The Nightfly is probably the best soft rock album of the entire 1980's. This album was so good it was impossible for Fagen to follow it with anything better at the time. It is Steely Dan's Donald Fagan at his ultimate, creative peak. This classic album should be in every music lovers collection.

FagenDNightfly.jpg

The The - Infected album. Was bloody good stuff, one've my top 10 most listened to I suppose. I'm an 80's lad, always have been, always will.

The Cure.

The Stranglers.

The Smiths.

Echo & the Bunnymen.

New Order.

Psychedelic Furs.

Adam & the Ants.

The Cult.

Sting & the Police.

Every single band listed is British I'm sure. Alot've decent european bands around in the 80's.

• 8 months later...

J._Geils_Band_-_Sanctuary.jpg

J-Geils-Band-Freeze-Frame-334141.jpg

J. Geils Band - Centerfold

Does she walk?

Does she talk?

Does she come complete?

My homeroom homeroom angel always pulled me from my seat

She was pure like snowflakes, no one could ever stain

The memory of my angel could never cause me pain

Years go by, I'm looking through a girlie magazine

And there's my homeroom angel on the pages in between

(Chorus)

My blood runs cold, my memory has just been sold

My angel is a centerfold

Angel is a centerfold

My blood runs cold, my memory has just been sold

Angel is a centerfold

Slipping notes, under the desk

While I was thinking about her dress

I was shy, I turned away, before she caught my eye

I was shakin' in my shoes whenever she flashed those baby blues

Something had a hold on me when Angel passed close by

Those soft fuzzy sweaters, too magical to touch

To see her in that neglige is really just too much.

(Chorus)

Nah nah nah nah nah nah

Nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah (x3)

Now listen:

It's okay, I understand

This ain't no never-never land

I hope that when this fish is gone

I'll see you when your clothes are on

Take your car, yes we will, we'll take your car and drive it

Take it to a motel room, and take 'em off in private

A part of me has just been wrecked

The pages from my mind are stripped