Hondo's Bar

Nostalgia

FireDownBelow

I was having a discussion with the old man theo ther day and niether of us could remember the name of this cartoon that I had really liked as a small child. There was a chick with a head dress and a cape, a guy named Spartacus and a teenager who wore a jacket. I also remembered that it had some to do with Arcadia. Well, ten minutes and some googling later and I came up with the name. Spartakus and the Sun Beneath the Sea. And while I was searching, I came upon this website and re-discovered some of the things that I loved to watch asa child. I thought I'd share it with everyone.

Classic Nick

Whatever happened to cartoons likes these? You know...ongoing stories filled with mystery and stuff. More than just the current junk people feed their kids...you know, someone gets in trouble and wow, they get out of trouble again. No depth. Sorry, but I have something against all of today's cartoons.

I miss He-Man.

Speaking of Nostalgia...

Does anyone besides me remember manuals from the good ole days?

Toys, games, whatever.

You'd get a new thing; it would come in a huge over packaged box that it was actually possible to open. You'd open the box, dump everything out, snatch up the new thing, and start playing with it. Eventually, you'd stop long enough to sort through the various cords, attachments, docking ports, little silicon packets marked "do not eat", and somewhere in all that stuff would be a manual on how to properly operate the thing. :tulip:

Remember that?

The manual would be quite large and contain presumably the exact same information in at least five different languages just so you know that "buy American" is just a buzz phrase from the past and that this new marvelous thing you just had to have was most likely constructed by child labor in fucking China.

But you can't concern yourself with that just now; you have a thing to figure out how to use.

And the toys now a days can't be opended without a serrated steak knife and an awl for fuck's sake. They are like blister packs made of steel. :mad:

The first part of the manual would contain vital information that you should read before you use the thing. It is very clearly marked "BEFORE FIRST USE". :)

Ah, yes well too late for that now so oh well there besides who doesn't know to take the little plastic covers off the electrical plug before sticking it into the friggen wall.

Some people would just pick up the manual and toss it in a drawer or on the shelf and forget they have it. Usually, these people find these manuals years after they no longer own the thing it came with.

Ok, who am I kidding, all of us have manuals for things we no longer own. What do you do though, you can't just throw a manual out. For one thing, the cover is written in fucking Sanskrit :thug: .......... so you're not even sure just what it is a manual for so it's best just to leave it there on the shelf or in the file cabinet and let your heirs deal with it after you're gone. :???:

Right?

Now... if I can just figure out how to... :def:

This was also a very awesome cartoon that completely captivated me as a kid. I wonder if one can get it on DVD. I'll have to look.

I've said this before, but I'll say it again, why oh why, can't today's cartoons have an interesting premise like this? I mean...enslaving the grim reaper, having fairy godparents, or watching a story about a sea sponge with pants are interesting enough I suppose..but they don't have the same sense of scope, adventure, and plot line that the Mysterious Cities of Gold and Spartakus did...or the Noobles (exact spelling unknown and I'm too lazy to look it up right now) with its mysterious Ulhuru plot.

:)

• 1 year later...

Hmm, cartoons I loved as a child? This pretty much came down to what was on ABC on Saturday mornings since I had 3 channels back then.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Transformers

GI Joe

Re-Boot

Thundercats (He-Man, only less gay)

Voltron (Power Rangers be damned!)

Sonic the Hedgehog

Cro (It was an educational show about a caveboy named Cro, honestly it was and still is fucking hilarious)

The Tick (Discovered after we got a satellite Dish, my brother and I watched it on comedy central)

Now they've remade Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Transformers, GI Joe, He-Man, Sonic, and I just know that Thundercats and Voltron are around the corner (Technically Voltron HAS seeing as there was that computer animated series a few years back) and they all are shadows of their former glory (well maybe not He-Man as it seems darker than the old one)

• 2 months later...
Now they've remade Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Transformers, GI Joe, He-Man, Sonic, and I just know that Thundercats and Voltron are around the corner (Technically Voltron HAS seeing as there was that computer animated series a few years back) and they all are shadows of their former glory (well maybe not He-Man as it seems darker than the old one)

No way the new turtles cartoon is fuckin' fantastic.

I grew up watchin' the old tmnt cartoon and was obsessed with it, but in comparison to the new one it's so camp and childish.

The new one is a lot darker which is nearly always a good thing

watching a story about a sea sponge with pants are interesting enough I suppose..but

You suppose? Spongebob is'nt just the greatest kids show ever made, it's not even just one of the best cartoons ever made,

it's without doubt one of the best programmes there ever was. Why would you say such a thing?

programmes from my childhood that were'nt mentioned

Prince Valiant

James Bond Jr

Those weird australian programmes about mirrors and time travel

Also those other weird australian programmes where kids rule the earth and there are no adults

Gargoyles

Animaniacs

Tiny Toons

Earthworm Jim

Spiderman

X-Men

Biker Mice From Mars

The Street Sharks

man, i was all over any game cartoons i found.

those of you old enough, might recall (or im making this up, im not sure) everyone of em had one in the atari days: donkey kong, mario, frogger, pac-man (he had a long-standing one on USA), q-bert etc.

by the time i was older & really into it, the Super Mario Bros show owned, and Zelda every friday was my shit. Following this, it was that Mario 3 show and of course Captain N.

"Mother Brain will get youuuuu"

Archived