Hondo's Bar

Death in comics

The NZA

Not Batman, Newtype, Robin (at least I think that's what you're talking about)

Jason Todd is back in the DC universe thanks to Superboy prime in that whole INfinite Crises thing.

I really hate it.

DC did the best job they possibly could, way better than I imagined they could, and the story still didn't do it for me.

ANyways Superboy prime breaking out of his dimensional prison changed reality in someways, one of which was that Jason TOdd never died. Everyone only thought he was dead.

Now he's back as The Red Hood, a vigilante who kills etc and has a grudge against batman for not killing Joker after Batman thought Joker had killed Jason.

Last I heard, Todd was over in Green Arrow trying to stir up shit between GA and his sidekick.

-----------------------

The Wikipedia article on Captain America refers to Bucky, Jason Todd and Uncle Ben as the 3 comics characters considered unrevivable

Well, Bucky is back too...

Really, I'm fed up of it all, though I hear the Bucky return was good.

Basically, Jason prevents Batman from running to Bludhaven too quickly. He tells Bats he never blamed him for leaving him to die, he blames Bats for letting Joker live. He puts a gun to Joker's head holds Joker in front of him as a human shield, and tells Bats that he can either kill JT or let him kill the Joker (all the while, of course, Batman wants to hightail it to Bludhaven to check on Dick.)

Bats throws a batarang....

Which slices open JT's throat. Those wounds bleed out pretty fast. JT falls face down in a puddle of his own blood, much to Joker's mirth as he ignites a case of C4. Last shot is Bats screaming "Jason!!!!!"

A Panel or 2 later after Superboy prime breaks out of his dimensional prison changed reality which in turn nullified the death of Bats the Joker and Jason Todd.

Ah... See I have the batman issue where the cliffhanger takes place, but the Superboy prime fix must have been in the Crisis mini books. Isn't Bludhaven still destroyed in the DC books though?

This happened in Batman #650. He's trying to get to Bludhaven to check on Dick to see if he's still alive.

How come you don't read DC Nick? Besides of Vertigo...

Bah, that's what it looks like...meaby I'm wrong..

Eh. I read GL here & there, but if Supes isnt written by someone noteworthy (Millar, Morisson etc) he's too boring a character for my liking. Bats, ill read, but he's the equivalent of :anger: - there's a lot of shit writing attatched to him, i think. The current arc's good, but again, that's Morrisson's doing.

The other characters dont really attract me, mebbe cause i never grew up with them. Ive no real interest in say, the JLA. Now, there's books here and there like Hitman and Gotham Central that ill adore, but theyre the exceptions, i find.

I tried Identity Crisis, the big Crisis event with Supes prime and the first part of 52 and it just didnt hold my interest. I do, however, read up people's psots here to see if there's anyting im potentially missing out on.

He can joke all he wants about it but I'm guessing that what really happened.

For those of you who have been pissing and moaning all week about the massive waste of time and money that is The Return, I would like to give you a brief insight into the major planning session behind it. The following is a transcript of the extensive telephone conversation between myself and Marvel Editor, Steve Wacker (formerly of DC’s 52 series, now bolted to a desk in Tom Brevoort’s “Hazing” wing of Marvel Entertainment).

“Jenkins!”

“Wacker! How’s the leopard?”

“A lot less snippy since they fed him an intern. I need something from you. They want you to bring back Captain Marvel.”

“Who?”

“Captain Marvel. He’s dead. We want to bring him back because it is our sincere intention to alienate every single Marvel fan as part of a major promotional campaign leading into next summer. Can you write something horrible by Monday?”

“Okay. Send me reference for this guy. Was his death quick?”

“No. Slow and painful.”

“But you want a quickie resurrection?”

“Yeah. Thirteen pages. Tops.”

“No problem. I’m your man.”

“Oh, and a Sentry story. Ten Pages. Don’t think too hard – it’s just the Sentry.”

“I won’t.”

• 4 months later...

Aaargh...

They've killed Bart Allen/ Impulse.

I mean, his year as the new Flash wasn't all tht great cuz they gutted what made the character so enjoyable, his nuttiness and zest. Now they've gone and killed him so Wally West can return and there's no way to turn back grown-up Impulse into the character Impulse used to be so... He gets a headstone.

Does anyone else here hate Dan Didio as much as I do? Not only is DC bringng back all the crap that sunk them in the seventies (Krypto the Superdog, Multiple Earths, Detective fucking Chimp!) but they've brought back all the mega crossovers and 'shocking' deaths that made the 90s suck.

The man was a sub-standard writer and they put him in charge of the whole fucking line of comics! Aaarrgh.

Greeting Room!

I think part of the problem is that they are killing off these characters, left and right. To draw attention to thier titles.

I mean I read about the funeral of Captain America on CNN.com!

Denny O'neil was editor of DC when they killed off Robin. He went to a coffee shop, and the all the patrons were ready to kill him, they said how could you kill Robin, they did not know Dick Grayson from Jason Todd. all they knew was that they killed and icon of their youth.

After that encounter, O'neil realized that what comic books had become modern mythology. And when you kill a character like Captain America you are killing an institution.

Aaargh...

They've killed Bart Allen/ Impulse.

I mean, his year as the new Flash wasn't all tht great cuz they gutted what made the character so enjoyable, his nuttiness and zest. Now they've gone and killed him so Wally West can return and there's no way to turn back grown-up Impulse into the character Impulse used to be so... He gets a headstone.

Does anyone else here hate Dan Didio as much as I do? Not only is DC bringng back all the crap that sunk them in the seventies (Krypto the Superdog, Multiple Earths, Detective fucking Chimp!) but they've brought back all the mega crossovers and 'shocking' deaths that made the 90s suck.

The man was a sub-standard writer and they put him in charge of the whole fucking line of comics! Aaarrgh.

I agree with everything you said and he said one more person dies this year. Tho your going to hate whats coming up next year.

Denny O'neil was editor of DC when they killed off Robin. He went to a coffee shop, and the all the patrons were ready to kill him, they said how could you kill Robin, they did not know Dick Grayson from Jason Todd. all they knew was that they killed and icon of their youth.

After that encounter, O'neil realized that what comic books had become modern mythology. And when you kill a character like Captain America you are killing an institution.

Unlike Robin Caps death really mean something. When Jason died nothing came out of it but with Cap the Marvel U just got thrown upside down for the worst.

i see what Jumbie's saying about DC right now...honestly, i sorta felt that way when Jemas left and Buckley took over: say hello to like 10 new books and goodbye to pretty much everything Grant Morrison did for the New X-Men. Plus, admittedly, Joe Q was known (in my book) for wha, Ash? Im just glad its working out great these days but there's those that hate Bendis, Ultimate U etc and feel its dominating the regular universe and seem to hate everything about it.

I remember O'Neil saying that. Who killed Supes, wasnt it Jurgens? I forget. I still think its funny that Bru didnt see this huge reaction coming; the media was all over Cap post 9-11 when he simply questioned the government, for fucksake. Anyway, the fact that the death happened in a single writer's several-year-long-run on a book (see: Bendis on DD) means not only did it mean something more than the shock ending/epilogue of an event, its going somewhere. That's huge to me: that means if when cap comes back, there's a point to it, not a creative well running dry or need for a deus ex.

he did?

fucking hell, good for him, he was the only guy they coudla let do it then. when youre gonna pull a stunt like this, it really needs to be a one-time deal, and you really, really gotta have the goods in mind while theyre gone...i mean, how else do you build a character while theyre gone: have them in some horrible 80's fight with Mephisto & deaht, or have the whole world working and talking around him? I saw Bru say Skull doing this was "just the begenning", you can be damn sure its getting worse and therye gonna wish Steve was there.

Panch isnt happy with Winter Soldier since he went good again, i was with him till recently: the barfight, the hit on Stark, taking back the shield so no one can use it....its like Steve was his brother. Were only a few issues in, but if Bru says he can do this for a year or two, thats how long i wanna read it for.

now lets see if he can sort it out before the editors force the movie-tie-in-return, eh?

Archived