Hondo's Bar

X3: The Last Stand

Like the Return of the Jedi in the Star Wars trilogy, X3 suffers alot from a killer second installment that raises everybody's expectations. I don't think as many people would be upset about this one if Singer didn't make x2 so damn good and make it look so effortlessly good. It makes people think it can always come together that well.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The biggest, most discernable difference is this: Bryan Singer had love for the characters & the fans. He wasn't a fan when he got on the boat, but he soon learned what was what. It's what a good director DOES with an established franchise, as opposed to mincing in, ejaculating into Giant-Sized X-Men #1 and saying 'How do we address Grant Morrison's Faggoty approach to Beast while still taking those comic-book dorks on some kind've journey?

Lord Jesus, the armadillos are Kelsey Grammar on line one Mr Ratner, he's high and saying something about debasing himself. Wants to be a reallly bad boy or something.'

Baytor. Fuck you and your comic-book-movie philosophy. Road to Perdition was a peecashit movie all deep and shit and guess what csunshine? It was based on a motherfucking comic. Try telling just about anyone looking at this thread right now that Preacher'd be just another comic-movie, tha it doesn't need depth just action, latex & titties. Seriously, just because X-men's a fanboy book doesn't mean it shouldn't get the same respect any other franchise-based story should get. This movie was a good, separate, entertaining watch as a movie about random mutants. A nice homage. Think about it though. This movie is claiming to be attached to a series that has borne & aided along dozens of Marvel staples, birthed some've the greatest stories to hold up the entire medium, and has over what? 50-60 years of fan-loyal continuity. Don't you think the writers(even if they include Claremont and Byrne) & fans deserve more respect than that?

and has over what? 50-60 years of fan-loyal continuity.

Uh, try 42 years. I mean, Superman just turned 60 a few years ago.

But Skeeter's right, to discredit an entire medium like 'comic books' as lacking depth by definition is absurd. Even in a genre like 'superhero books' that could much more easily be argued to be sophmoric is capable of being what I would describe as great storytelling, even great literature. X-Men has had it's ups and downs as a franchisee, but as a whole has a rich tradition. I just happen to disagree that this movie was such a terrible insult to the franchisee. This isn't Batman & Robin we're talking about here. I stand by my assertion that if X3 hadn't been so good, people wouldn't think this movie sucked.

I'm not saying they lack depth by definition, it's just everybody expects X-Men to be pue artwork. Okay, in the case of Road to Perdition and V For Vendetta a more serious deep look is needed, but you know what I meant. The point I'm trying to make is, why does X-Men need to be incredibly deep, it's escapism, it's just supposed to be an entertaining movie, not supposed to teach us about racism and and all that shit.

it's escapism, it's just supposed to be an entertaining movie, not supposed to teach us about racism and and all that shit.

I'm kind of shoe horning this into the conversation, but I was watching a Bill Hicks interview on YouTube and he mentions some guy coming up to him after a show and saying "we don't go to comedy to think" so he says back to him, "well where do you go? let's meet up there."

I'm not saying you should be pondering an X men movie after for days after you've seen it, like the first time you've seen Out For Justice, but at the very least you should be able to get behind the story. What is escapism? seeing a lot of stupid shit explode on screen or being able to feel like you're part of a story for two hours, like you actually give a shit what happens to some fictional characters. The first two had that (yeah, I said two) this one didn't. In Xmen 2 was I the only one who thought holy shit they killed Lady Death-Strike, there never going to be able to bring her back, and in this one all sorts of people died and I was past caring (besides they probably can bring back all of them, but at this stage, why would you want to).

Okay, the killing was excessive, and I'm not saying it should be mindless, but I also don't think it should be too serious, I mean, I go into a movie based on a comic book, I expect it to feel like the comic book did, I don't wanna go into X-Men and see V for Vendetta, I wanna see fucking X-Men and from what I've seen, that's what this movie is, sure I don't doubt it's not as good as X2 and apparently I'm the only one who thought the first X-Men movie was a bit preachy, so I'll shut up now.

Yeah yeah yeah, I know, I shouldn't have spoke up at all, but I did, and I don't believe in editing out my posts, so they're there, take em as you will.

Sorry to get onna soapbox like that mate, no harm was intended. I was all disgruntled & just-woke-up-with-no-blowjob-tired. Thing with escapism is, you're only escaping reality if you're immersed in the story, which I was less than this time around. Nick raised a good point the other day when I was talking to him which was that unless you do the homework or are a fan, you wouldn't even know who half the characters are. A movie like that is just watching shit go wrong for a bunch've unfortunates, whereas X2 or either of the Spideys take you on the same emotional rollercoaster as the leading characters.

I still defy Panch to wish Brett Ratner upon the Spidey Franchise. G'wan... Fred Durst as the White Wolf in Beast's bleached costume & Ben Reilly webswinging through without anyone even knowing who he is.

You're assuming an awful lot of things about Pancho. I heard him sayign he wanted a Spidey movie with the Sinister Six. It's that kinda talk that makes me wonder if he'd be happy with anythign so long as there was webslinging.

Well I'm with the Panch on this one. Anyone with the power to make it happen & reading this, my left testicle is on the block for a decent rendition of the S6. I will hammer it out've my nutsack with a clawhammer through a pinhole if I have to. Make this happen and perforated or otherwise, my nut is yours.

How could it not? I mean it'd be a shite's sight more believable than a guy who's bitten by a radioactive spider & gains proportionate abilities fighting only two other meta-crims in a what? 2-3 year period. Hell, I'd settle for a flashback sequence, something! I refuse to believe delivering pizzas & beating up Granny-rapists is a 24/7 detail NOR that others wouldn't have jumped on the meta-bandwagon a fuckuva lot sooner.

You know what I heard...?

Now this is for REAL!

That CARNAGE was gonna be in Spidey 3, but that's not all... his name is attached to..................................................................

AUNT MAY!

I shit you not people!

Then again Panch's dream may be closer than we thought earlier....

From Mr. Avi Arad:

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Archived