Hondo's Bar

X3: The Last Stand

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We get the Da Vinci Code tomorrow, like you, and X-3 the following week (the 26th), I guess just like you.

Man, I was as skeptical as anyone for a long time, but all the trailers and clips look awesome. And what reviews are you talking about, Skeeter? Rottentomatoes is still without a single review.

What are you taking about, those clips were nice. Sure, there's little depth, but the last 2 Xfilms had more depth in the thread that tied the scenes together more so than in the individual scenes.

I got...hiiiigh hopes! (pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease)

Dear 2track

you were right.

By Dave McCoy

MSN Movies

May 19, 2006

Riddle: What do you get when you cross hacks with a successful movie franchise?

Answer: "X-Men: The Last Stand"

Not very clever, eh? Well, neither is the third (and hopefully "last" indeed) installment of the once-smart and enjoyable "X-Men" series. Nor is it fun, exciting, or, at the very least, a nice little popcorn movie. One person leaving the very exclusive preview screening here at Cannes (the film doesn't makes it Palais premiere until Monday) exclaimed, "That was one of the worst movies I've ever seen."

Now, granted, it's not that bad (that'd be Alan Parker's "Mississippi Burning"... but we'll leave that for another time) and in fact, it's so silly that it's hard to get very worked up about it. I mean, honestly, when director Bryan Singer left the series to tackle "Superman Returns" and the studio signed Brett Ratner — the man behind such foolishness as "Red Dragon" and "Rush Hour" — to take over, did you think this would be a worthy successor to the first two? No, me neither... but I hoped, damnit. You gotta have hope, right?

Well, hope faded when the rumors started: Ratner is changing the original storyline or the cast isn't getting along with Ratner. And then earlier this year, "X-Men" suddenly became a trilogy! Oh, really? When did that happen? During a marketing meeting after some dailies were viewed?

But after watching the movie, the word "trilogy" seems most appropriate. You may have noticed I used the plural "hacks" earlier; that's because Ratner is not the only man responsible for this lame finale. No, we have a trilogy of trash and need to share the shovel. So let's give credit where credit is due and thank "screenwriters" Simon Kinberg and Zak Penn (the latter, by the way, should change his surname) for such wonderful lines as these:

"Storm, you of all people should know how fast the weather can change."

"Sometimes when you cage the beast, the beast gets angry."

"If Magneto wants a war, he's got one!"

"God help us all."

"We will stand together... like X-Men."

"Nooooooooooo!" — one character, screaming towards the sky, holding another dead character, camera craning above their heads (didn't "The Simpsons" kill that cliché?).

Here's the story these men concocted. This section (mostly) follows in the footsteps of the comics: It's a short time following the death of Jean Grey (Famke Janssen), and both Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) and Cyclops (James Marsden) haven't healed (you can tell this about Cyclops because the poor man hasn't shaved, a sure sign of depression). When Cyclops begins hearing Grey's voice, he heads to the lake that drowned her, fires lasers into the water and bingo, Jean is back! But she's not Jean... it seems Jean had two sides and Professor Charles Xavier (Patrick Stewart) suppressed her dark side. Now, she's back as the Phoenix and hell is about to break loose (poor Janssen has about seven lines in the film, and the rest of the time is left to glower).

Meanwhile, the government has come up with a way to "cure" mutants and offers it to the world. This angers Magneto (Ian McKellen, who, after this Cannes experience, needs to work in indie films for awhile), who then rallies mutants to fight back against the humans. Mutants are forced to choose sides, but we as viewers have no choice but to watch this play out until its big-bang conclusion. My favorite part: After about 15 minutes of fighting, Magneto bellows, "Let's end this war now!" War? Man, that was barely a battle.

Now, the other two "X-Men" didn't have much in the way of plot either. But what they did have was character relationships and some nifty subtext about homosexuality, race, and general otherness. Remember those wonderfully tender scenes between Wolverine and Rogue (Anna Paquin, completely wasted here)? Gone. We get one here, and Rogue is a non-issue in the movie. Instead, Ratner and company populate the movie with new mutants who have wicked awesome powers, dude... but whom you never get to know or even recognize half the time. Why not develop the characters you have? Oh, right... the next action piece, full of explosions and CGI, is coming up. Ratner loves his toys.

And remember the wink-wink "we know this is silly, but hell, let's have fun" humor? Gone too, replaced by wince-inducing catch phrases that Sly or Arnold wouldn't go near.

Personally, I can't wait to hear about the reception the finicky Cannes audience will give the film.

And Bryan Singer? "Superman Returns" better be good. You abandoned us.

this page should be a direct link to the Kendall Villiage theatre (one we saw Sin City at) for thursday's midnite opener, @ $10. I think pre-paying is a smart idea given the crowds were gonna see there....still dont see what's wrong with sunset or dolphin (jax is clearly forgetting what time the movie is, and clientele that this movie's brining, its the same everywhere) but im down for whichever. Long as everyone else's in, ill buy my ticket this week, unless someone else is fronting, buying in bulk & gettin paid back or something.

...we still on?

Well, the concensus on rottentomatoes is in. There's only 16 reviews, some fresh, some rotten, but they all say some variation of the same thing. Good, not great like the last one, despite many things working against it, plus lotsa of action.

Hey, if we're hanging out (or handing out) before the movie, they parting ways right after the movie lets out, when and where are we meeting up before hand? Starlite diner at 9pm, then move on over to the line at 10:30pm?

Ssssis is true, as Shursssssssday is...La noche de lassss karaoke!

Ssssenor Cheif, do ju recall at whuat time se karaoke fessssstivities comense?

Hey, fandango is showing two theaters playing X3 at 11:59. Did everyone else click the first one?

Ssssis is true, as Shursssssssday is...La noche de lassss karaoke!

Ssssenor Cheif, do ju recall at whuat time se karaoke fessssstivities comense?

Hey, fandango is showing two theaters playing X3 at 11:59. Did everyone else click the first one?

Panch? For the record? This is exactly how Jax sounded impersonating you on the phone. Except a little more like he'd just had a stroke. Just caught it. I'm still mixed. Caught myself twice tonight hoping John Byrne's content wouldn't be overlooked(also peeped a preview of Superman). On one count, I think Brett Ratner hates John Byrne like the rest've us and just wanted to shit all over one of the two or three good things he's done with his career. Translation: They got it so wrong. Aside from that the effects were pretty, saw a gay-looking

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
and Beast even looked pretty credible until he started using his "powers". High point of the movie? And you have to understand I loved the shit outta this 'cause I'd never caught it before...
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

...shit. got caught up with class & such, went to buy tickets just now and theyre sold out. :ohface: any ideas? if there's a group, i guess we could always save 2 seats, have someone come back out once youre in with 2 of the stubs, and try it that way...my bad, big test tomorrow and i lost track of time.

uhh...nevermind, the site said it was sold out, but let me buy tickets anyway. i bet fandango thinks they just hooked me up or some shit, like were friends now.

...except mine says auditorium 12, and i wasnt given an option. i guess that's cool though, cause word on the street is that auditorium 1 people are all 90's cleremont fans, while auditorium 12 perfers the smooth sailings of grant morisson and joss whedon.

i bet you a dollar at least one guy's gonna yet "oh its the juggernaut, bitch!" tonight during the film

Archived