Hondo's Bar

World Cup 2006 Germany

IguanaDon?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Germany wins, surprise surprise.

Every year the World cup has been in Europe, a European team has won. Every year the World Cup has been in the Americas, an South American team has won. This is obviously not taken into betting statistics, becasue Brazil is favored to win, but I think with soccer (and Basketball last night evidently...), home field advantage is critical.

If anyone wants to bet 1 to 1 odds, I'm willing to bet against Brazil. Anyone down?

as for home advantage being critical, it can help, like a 12th man on the pitch, and while germany attacked well, they didnt defend so well, they conceded two easy goals to an inferior team by their standards, i feel that if they want to do reasonably well theyre gonna have to up their standards somewhat.... i wouldnt write them off for now, but i wouldnt go betting on them, i however am one of the few people who cant see brazil winning it this year, their team has weak points, ronaldo's fitness, edmilson injured, their defence's "youth" and dida not being the best of goalkeepers, id rate argentina england and my own personal favorites holland to win it....

argentina are consistant though, while the orange shirts were decent, they only got going in the second half and by then argentina were two up, and weren't going to let that slip, theyre too good a side to do that, last time they let a lead slip like that in the world cup, holland got into the semi finals in america after bergkamp scored a blinder of a goal, either way, they'd be my favorites to win the thing, they have class riddled throughout their team (with the exception of their goal keeper who i havent heard much of), but as midifelds go, they have the best one out there, and saviola is a personal favorite striker of mine, has been for a number of years, the kid is young and is going to be huge in a year or two... he just needs to get out of sevilla...

either way, i cannot see brazil winning it again this year, they are way too inconsistant, and while ronaldinho may be the best on the planet, he does not make the team... besides him, there isnt much class with the exception of kaka and possibly adriano if i am to be generous....

france should not be ruled out (yeah thats right arch, france)

henry can turn on magic at the drop of a hat... as for trezeguet, he has had a good season over at juventus despite the match fixing, and their defence is very well experienced, as well as having zidane (god) in midfield... they are up there with my favorites to win

Holland Vs Serbia Montenegro (who are no longer both countries)

i reckon holland will play better in the heat and what not, their team is a lot more youthful and fit than serbia's in my opinion and the dutch have two of my favorite players.... Van Persie and Robben... two class class players...

Serbia however have inter milans midfield maestro Dejan Stankovich.... and an absolute rock of a defence... either way it should make for good football and a worth while match

Robben.

* Smug. *

I believe he's a Chelsea man.

Fucking great match, Japan v Australia. 3-1 Turn out. Aussie's were 1-0 down

at the end of the first half. They bought it back with 3 goals in the last 15 minutes. 2 goals by Cahill, too. Fucking quality player.

The Japs goal was slimey. I do think the ref's should use video technology, cause it was no way a goal. The keeper was fucking penalised whilst trying to save it. Anyway, all in all the Aussies were a MUCH better team.

to be perfectly honest, i can see the socceroos bringing it to the samba boys, and thats No joke, the way they played today was astounding, with pride, heart and no fear. they managed to keep up running the whole 90 minutes, and viduka looked very very fuckin handy infront of goal....

sonny, ever think we should go into writing a football magazine?

and hell yeah acalis, another man who thinks the dutch are in it to win this year, ive money on them too, the match yesterday was great in the first half but the second half i found to be a bit dead and tedious however, just the heat draining them i guess.. but wow, what a cracker of a match today with the aussies... cahills second was a Beauty...

Well, unlucky to you USA.

3-0 Defeat, not a good start to your world cup.

...Rosicky. What a fucking player, he moves like a fucking cheetah.

Koller's headder was fucking superb aswell.

Well USA, you can do nothing but win now, or your going home.

lol yea, though I dunno. I'll have to see them in action against, I dunno, Italy perhaps? But after seeing the Czechs, I don't know how Brazil is going to hold up. They're ranked, what? 2? USA was ranked 5th I think, and Brazil is ranked 1. That ought to be a hell of a match, Czech vs. Brazil.

i dont think the czechs should be number two, they arent the second best team out there, theyre just given that because of accomplishments and what not, argentina are in my opinion better than brazil, and brazil should be number 2... either way, how Usa are number 5 perplexes me, and yeah, kasey keller is Woeful.... no wonder he fled england after a failed stint over here...

Archived