Hondo's Bar

Superman Returns

Haha! Oh Nicky-boy you fortunate lad. It's a blessing a curse! This is the first instance I've even contemplated forfieting my much-needed sense of closure in order to un-watch this shitbag movie that Bryan Singer de-railed the Xmen Franchise for. I'ma write that cunt an angry letter.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it always depends, it's nothing new but if you like to see an update of the classics, go for it. Personally I think you should see it, if only to make up your own mind and join in the fun conversation of shit/not shit, but whatever you do DO NOT PAY FULL PRICE, you could maybe go see another movie first and then theater hop.

Well, it always depends, it's nothing new but if you like to see an update of the classics, go for it. Personally I think you should see it, if only to make up your own mind and join in the fun conversation of shit/not shit, but whatever you do DO NOT PAY FULL PRICE, you could maybe go see another movie first and then theater hop.

Best call yet.

This bothered the hell out of me when I saw it in theaters, but this hollywood reporter story pisses me the hell off:

Here's the Story!

In the latest film incarnation, scribes Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris sought to downplay Superman’s long-standing patriot act. With one brief line uttered by actor Frank Langella, the caped superhero’s mission transformed from “truth, justice and the American way” to “truth, justice and all that stuff.”

“The world has changed. The world is a different place,” Pennsylvania native Harris says. “The truth is he’s an alien. He was sent from another planet. He has landed on the planet Earth, and he is here for everybody. He’s an international superhero.”

In fact, Dougherty and Harris never even considered including “the American way” in their screenplay. After the wunderkind writing duo (”X2: X-Men United“) conceived “Superman’s” story with director Bryan Singer during a Hawaiian vacation, they penned their first draft together and intentionally omitted what they considered to be a loaded and antiquated expression. That decision stood throughout the 140-day shoot in Australia, where the pair remained on-set to provide revisions and tweaks.

“We were always hesitant to include the term ‘American way’ because the meaning of that today is somewhat uncertain,” Ohio native Dougherty explains. “The ideal hasn’t changed. I think when people say ‘American way,’ they’re actually talking about what the ‘American way’ meant back in the ‘40s and ‘50s, which was something more noble and idealistic.”

While audiences in Dubuque might bristle at Superman’s newfound global agenda, patrons in Dubai likely will find the DC Comics protagonist more palatable. And with the increasing importance of the overseas boxoffice — as evidenced by summer tentpoles like “The Da Vinci Code” — foreign sensibilities can no longer be ignored.

“So, you play the movie in a foreign country, and you say, ‘What does he stand for? — truth, justice and the American way.’ I think a lot of people’s opinions of what the American way means outside of this country are different from what the line actually means (in Superman lore) because they are not the same anymore,” Harris says. “And (using that line) would taint the meaning of what he is saying.”

After doing everything they can to emulate the first two films they have a problem with "The American Way"? Fuck them.

This was unnecessary politicking. Damn fucking shame.

The Museum's chief attraction is a statue titled "Dignity," by Cuban sculptor Andres González. It is a modernistic but clearly figurative statue of a boy gazing hopefully into the future. The medium is bronze but the surface is mottled, as if it were made of clay. In one fist the boy holds a figurine of Superman as if he's preparing to toss the idol of American culture into the ocean. He is supported not by the earth or any solid surface but by a sea of hands, representing the of Cuba's working writers and artists. One of the hands is holding a Cuban flag.

155elian_statue.jpg

Us Cubans... we hate us our Superman... and America!

When is Hollywood going to get a fucking clue?

When the Executive Branch, in a bold move to increase it's influence, sites eminant domain to aqquire the whole movie making industry, and hands over the studios to the newly formed Federal Department of Homeland Cinema, a branch of the Department of Homeland Security, the new department's first directorship of which will be given to Mel Gibson? Maybe then?

Oh, for the love of Christ.....

STOP BRINGING POLITICS INTO MOVIES YOU FUCKING MORONS!

When is Hollywood going to get a fucking clue?

That is a little funny to say. Politics have been a staple of the entertainment industry since it's inception, it's not going to stop any time soon.

Can't really begrudge them their opinions, don't really have to like it, but can't hold it against them too much.

Is this to say, Classic American Heros are getting away from America? And is that a good or bad thing?

I don't know, Sam. Movies like Syriana and the like do more to piss off audiences than not. From strictly a sales point of a view, it's a boneheaded move to make.

Michael Jordan once made a very keen observation. He's a big time Democrat, and raises money for Democratic causes. However, he refused to bad mouth Republicans or do a commercial with Nike and the Dems. When asked why, he responded: Because Republicans wear Nikes, too, and we don't want to piss off 50% of our customers.

Hollywood would do well to remember that. As it is, Hollywood is doing worse and worse every year.

They could have easily edited out the American Way line if they found it offensive elsewhere. Superman is about the IDEAL, he is the ultimate immigrant story, the fact that his Upbringing and adopted country make him someone who fights for freedom, truth and justice. He has been an American icon forever. It's part of what the character has become over the years. We were doing dirty shit back in the 40's too, and no one bitched then. No one bitched at the Reeve films and their flag waving.

Even if you hate the current administration, what is the problem with the ideal of the: 'American Way', especially as this movie was released on the 4th of July weekend.

I mean, what's next GI JOE no longer being the 'Real American Hero'?

I think they downplayed those elements because through a foreigners', and I'm sure quite a few Americans', eyes those elements are not so much objectionable as laughable.

And I think they downplayed it just because it's a stupid fucking hokey saying.

And arch, it may surprise a cynic such as yourself, but there are actually still a few people in the filmmaking business who make movies because they have something to say. I don't think anybody made a movie like Syriana to roll in the big bucks.

Again, I'll state:

"The American Way" seems to have changed in the eyes of many foreigners; casually attaching a superhero to that as a matter of course makes the hero less marketable, I suppose.

Ultimate migrant story aside, this has been going on for a while, Superman and other classic comic heros are being lost to cultural "globalization" where he is no longer a hero for just kids here but is suppose to be a protector of all of humanity and in a world where American is currently not in the best spot light, the casual association as matter of course might come off the wrong way... and hurt sales.

Remember in the actual comic continuity SHIELD is a part of the UN, horror I know. Maybe if there was a re-invention like in the Ultimates, then such things might be reclaimed but the fuzzy global family message that seems to be all the rage nowadays is in the way.

And above all else, the definition of "The American Way" HAS changed, maybe it's not for the better, maybe it's not good enough for what Superman has turned into. Or maybe it's too good for him, now that he's been "pussified."

GI Joe I'm afraid to say has also fallen to the Japanese GI JOE Sigma 6

Depressing, I know

You should really start to worry when you see Captain America fighting the US government... er... okay, I would start to worry...

While I totally agree with (part of) that statement (I'm not a cynic lol), movies like, say, Lord of War will become preachy and seriously piss off at least half the audience. People don't watch movies to be preached to, they watch movies to be entertained. If you want to have a movie with political overtones, don't hide it. It just annoys people. And don't go changing an iconic character because you disagree with the current administration, that's just silly.

You should really start to worry when you see Captain America fighting the US government... er... okay, I would start to worry...

lol BRILLIANTLY played, Sam. Brilliantly played.

Lord of War did get preachy, I'll give you that, but I think that was more a fault of the particular movie than a current trend. Though you are right that it seems like more politically-charged movies are being released but that's only natural in such a politically-charged environment (just like what happened to film in the 70s). And I think that a great deal of the audience is embracing that. Yes, the movie industry is starting to decline. It's due to many factors. One of which (though probably not the biggest), I think, is a sort of small rebellion amongst many movie-goers who are sick of being sold Nike shoes - people who are tired of paying money for movies that have no creative value, the tired remakes and shoddy sequels that studios have been stuffing down the movie-goers throats in an effort to chase that almighty dollar. That's why huge movies that would have been box office phenomina a few years ago (like Superman Returns or The Da Vinci Code, for instance) aren't even meeting financial expectations, while smaller, more thought-provoking films that barely made a blip on the box office money-counter (like, say, this year's five Best Pic nominees) are getting all the attention. I think it's just a cycle, brought on not only by the political climate but also by a public sick of two decades worth of high-gloss, no-brains blockbusters, and eager for something a little more fulfilling. With the internet and console gaming and cable television in nearly every home now, the movie business is not America's main source of entertainment before, people are requiring a little more from it, and if Hollywood is to survive this slump to make it to the next cycle, I think it needs to be willing to embrace that.

But back to Superman and his fight for truth, justice and pop culture.

Was gonna comment on Spidey: India, but it's not worth it in this thread...

And I think they downplayed it just because it's a stupid fucking hokey saying.

No, that's NOT why they downplayed it. At least according to them, and even if they said differently I wouldn't believe them because the movie was HOKEY AS HELL, it was attempting to BE the Richard Donner films. That line would have fit in PERFECTLY. If they were trying to be a NEW Superman, who spoke less like a dork and was a little cooler, then whatever.

But they went out of their way to both emulate the hell out of the first two movies while tossing aside the patriotic messages, hokey as they were?

Maybe it was inevitable, but its a damn fucking shame. When we were kids we were raised with great icons that exemplified what it was to BE American, political ideology be fucked. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

They want a 'global' hero. Well, in the good old days I would challenge anyone to find a more global hero than superman 'stupid fucking hokey' lines be damned. He would help people who couldn't help themselves no matter where they were, he was a beacon to the world. That was the American way.

I don't give a fuck if people don't like the current administration. That ideal America is what Superman stood for. It may be bullshit, it may have always been bullshit, but that ideal is worth something.

GI Joe I'm afraid to say has also fallen to the Japanese GI JOE Sigma 6

Fuck you for showing that to me Sam. Burn in the fiery pits of hell you son of a bitch. You are DEAD to me. You hear me???? DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!

Fuck you for showing that to me Sam. Burn in the fiery pits of hell you son of a bitch. You are DEAD to me. You hear me???? DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy to be of service :) But you didn't share your thoughts about your friendly Indian Spiderman?

P.S. - Payback's a bitch, so fuck you too! Now we're even for when you traumatized me by showing me that fucked-up shit "Mutant Turtles: Chojin densetsu-hen" fucking turtles meets sailor moon, what it was, you bastard!

A4107-13.thumbnail.90.jpg

Fucker!

Archived